nOrh SE9 for the K1000?
May 3, 2003 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

HappymaN

500+ Head-Fier
I've arranged to purchase some K1000's, so I'll need something to drive them in a few weeks time.

$400US is my upper limit, so the nOrh SE9 fits in there well. The problem is, I won't be easy to turn around and sell a 230V SE9 if I decide that it doesn't suit my taste. I'd like a lush, smooth, full sound, but I don't like to compromise on resolution. I like my amplifiers fast and I hate grain. I like soft rock, acoustic instruments, classical, jazz and female vocalists. I don't listen to "hard and fast" music, ala Tool. Will the SE9 fit the bill here?

I had another thread where the SE9 was highly recommended. But I just wanted to start another, in case anybody with some experience did not get a chance to chime in with their 2c.

Basically, can anyone provide some sonic impressions of this combination?
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, my source equipment is a Denon UD-M30 (Transport) + ART DI/O.

May 3, 2003 at 2:29 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by HappymaN
I've arranged to purchase some K1000's, so I'll need something to drive them in a few weeks time.

$400US is my upper limit, so the nOrh SE9 fits in there well. The problem is, I won't be easy to turn around and sell a 230V SE9 if I decide that it doesn't suit my taste. I'd like a lush, smooth, full sound, but I don't like to compromise on resolution. I like my amplifiers fast and I hate grain. I like soft rock, acoustic instruments, classical, jazz and female vocalists. I don't listen to "hard and fast" music, ala Tool. Will the SE9 fit the bill here?

I had another thread where the SE9 was highly recommended. But I just wanted to start another, in case anybody with some experience did not get a chance to chime in with their 2c.

Basically, can anyone provide some sonic impressions of this combination?
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, my source equipment is a Denon UD-M30 (Transport) + ART DI/O.

It will fit the bill, and more. Detail is amazing, sounstage is out of this world. There are times when I almost jump out of my seat because of the speed in which that detail is provided--music seems to come from everywhere.

I listen to jazz, mostly, so I like detail, instrumental separation, and a full, wide soundstage. The nOrh/K-1000 combination provides that, and more. I do not think you will be disappointed. Plus, even in the (highly unlikely) chance you do not find the nOrh to your liking, I don't think you will have a hard time selling it.

There is nothing in its price range (and IMO, way above it's price range) that brings out the best in the K-1000 like the nOrh.

May 3, 2003 at 2:34 AM Post #3 of 13
I have a nOrh SE9 so I'll chime in with my impressions. I use it with speakers though and not headphones so take it with a grain of salt.

To me the SE9 sounds a bit more SS like and has less of that typical lush tube sound. Don't get me wrong it's still a tube sound and you will not mistake it for a SS. It is faster than most tube amps I've heard, not as lush, very good bass, not as detailed as a good SS but has a firm grip on the music that most SS are good at but most cheap tube amps seems to miss. At the same it gives a much rounder (fuller if you will) sound that most SS miss. Good for all types of music actually but not for the hardest of rock or heavy metal. A good compromise in my book.

Beware of hum though but that could be a speaker issue in my case.

And if you have trouble selling if you don't like it, let me know. We use 230V over here too.

May 3, 2003 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 13
FCJ: Thanks. That's what I really wanted to hear.

I connected my ART DI/O up for the first time last night, and the sonic improvement was incredible. The DI/O rips the detail out of nowhere, and the soundstage exploded. On one CD, the acoustics of the room come right through. It was one hell of a "bang for your buck" upgrade.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've got my VISA in my hand, but I can't order the SE9 until I am paid for my Corda Blue. If the sale of the Corda Blue fell through some how, I'd be in trouble when the VISA statement came in.
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2003 at 2:43 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Masz
I have a nOrh SE9 so I'll chime in with my impressions. I use it with speakers though and not headphones so take it with a grain of salt.

To me the SE9 sounds a bit more SS like and has less of that typical lush tube sound. Don't get me wrong it's still a tube sound and you will not mistake it for a SS. It is faster than most tube amps I've heard, not as lush, very good bass, not as detailed as a good SS but has a firm grip on the music that most SS are good at but most cheap tube amps seems to miss. At the same it gives a much rounder (fuller if you will) sound that most SS miss. Good for all types of music actually but not for the hardest of rock or heavy metal. A good compromise in my book.

And if you have trouble selling if you don't like it, let me know. We use 230V over here too.

Thanks for your input. What speakers are you using with the SE9? Also, from what I've read, the SE9 is dead black at full volume, and no source input. Do you experience hum?

May 3, 2003 at 2:52 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Masz

Must be, because my nOrh is dead quiet.

May 3, 2003 at 2:54 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Thanks for your input. What speakers are you using with the SE9? Also, from what I've read, the SE9 is dead black at full volume, and no source input. Do you experience hum?

I'm using a Monitor Audio Monitor 2. Just nice for my small room. I suspect the hum is induced by the so many wires I have lying around criss-crossing everywhere. Anyway you can only hear it if you put your ears close to the speakers and not at normal listening positions so it's a non-issue for me.

May 3, 2003 at 3:39 AM Post #9 of 13
John, how would you describe the top end of the SE9 when paired with the K1000?

May 3, 2003 at 11:13 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

John, how would you describe the top end of the SE9 when paired with the K1000?

It depends on the cable. If you use the stock cable it can, on occasion, be a little "bright." However, if you upgrade to the Equinox the entire range is much more coherent and the brightness is tamed. Interconnects are important here, too. Use something like the Kimber PBJs and they K-1000s can be bright.

Overall, though, the detail you get from the K-1000s is amazing and the nOrh/K-1000 combo cannot be beat.

May 3, 2003 at 11:50 AM Post #11 of 13
check out this review--www.6moons.com/audioreviews/akg/follow-up.html

May 3, 2003 at 1:18 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
It depends on the cable. If you use the stock cable it can, on occasion, be a little "bright." However, if you upgrade to the Equinox the entire range is much more coherent and the brightness is tamed. Interconnects are important here, too. Use something like the Kimber PBJs and they K-1000s can be bright.

Overall, though, the detail you get from the K-1000s is amazing and the nOrh/K-1000 combo cannot be beat.

What FCJ said. I shopped around and got some used VD Nites and References to connect the CD player and turntable. I found the Kimbers bright to my ears but other cables helped tame it. The nOrh seems to really do something with the K1000s that is magical....but the right cables make a big difference to my ears for the top and low ends.

And as FCJ has indicated...the Equinox extension and/or lots of burn-in will also work wonders with these special cans.

I have read comments that the K1000s lack bass. I do not find that the case at all.
John

May 3, 2003 at 1:35 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros

I have read comments that the K1000s lack bass. I do not find that the case at all.
John

Neither do I--I have never found that to be the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back