Norcal Mini-ish Meet impressions 8-9-08
Aug 10, 2008 at 4:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

rhythmdevils

Member of the Trade: rhythmdevils audio
I'll start it off with some pics. Thanks everyone for a great meet, and esspecially to Icarium for hosting in his comfy home
beerchug.gif

And thanks to Eddie Current for bringing his beautiful new Balancing Act and Nautilus, both of which sounded fantastic with everything I plugged into them.

JP's HD2:

Eddie Current's prototype NAUTILUS

Aug 10, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #3 of 36
I am home, unpacked, and tired. I had a good time. needed more listening time. But got some things done. Will writeup more later and post picks.

Thanks Dan... and all..

Cheers,

Aug 10, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #4 of 36
I just got home from this mini, yet fun-packed, meet. First, thanks to Icarium for hosting this meet at his nicely furnished home, and providing an abundance of my favorite beverages (beer and diet coke). And thanks to Craig for bringing his assortment of fantastic amps that I affirmed my appreciation of today. As usual, jp# provided much entertainment and wisdom, and it was cool to see him again. Also worth mentioning is that mikeymad brought his entire array of impressive gear, and several knockout bottles of whiskey, in addition to being a really cool guy. It was cool to meet PFKman23, and see Filburt again. Rhythmdevils snapped countless pictures, and was a laid-back presence. Also, the cat with the emm labs gear was nice to hang out with. All in all, it was a concentrated group of enthusiasts with truly high-end gear, and I look forward to the next meet.

Aug 10, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #5 of 36
Orgy of tubes!
biggrin.gif

Sure looks like a really nice meeting...

Aug 10, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #6 of 36
Someone left a hat (I'm looking at you Mikeymad) ;p

Also a Peter Gabriel SACD

Add to that some SR-60s in a nice case.

Aug 10, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Dan 60s in the black case are mine thanks.

Great meet and got to listen to a bunch of gear and talk with a great group of people.

thoughts to come tomorrow afternoon after some sleep.

Aug 10, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #8 of 36
Just got home myself...nice meeting both new and old friends.
Had a great time...thanks a bunch Dan for setting this up and having us at your place.
And thanks to Craig for making it all the way up here from So Cal...and for a 'little' something you left behind
wink.gif

Aug 10, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by foo_me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got home myself...nice meeting both new and old friends.
Had a great time...thanks a bunch Dan for setting this up and having us at your place.
And thanks to Craig for making it all the way up here from So Cal...and for a 'little' something you left behind
wink.gif

Ahoy!

Aug 10, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 36
I was at the San Jose Jazz Festival all day (I'll be there again in a few hours). I really would've loved to compare the BA and the Nautilus personally, but I'll have to rely on you guys impressions (hint,hint).
There's something reassuring about seeing MikeyMad with plenty of new, top drawer, gear and his continued love affair with the O2. I'd really like to see some impressions from him of not just what he heard at the meet, but his own system.
Well, like I said, it's a bummer to miss a cool meet like that, but I captured some great recordings (I hope) of an Egyptian fusion band (smokin !) and a Lester Young tribute band (killer female vocals) with some new Senn. mic's I got.

Aug 10, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif

SACD and Hat are mine.... Dang... I wear that hat everyday...

Must have had too much 'fun' - ([size=xx-small]in this case fun is a code word for beverage)[/size]

Cheers,

Aug 10, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #12 of 36
Cheers Ironbut, I will see what I can do for you... enjoy your jazz.

I would have loved to see Joe Bonamassa... argh....

Aug 10, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #13 of 36
Wow what a fun meet, thanks to Dan for opening his home to us all We had a great group of folks there that all shared a deep love of music and gear. It showed with lively discussion. I eneded up staying at Dans place when the group went to lunch so I could get some quite time listening done.

There was a ton of of top flight gear considering this was a mini meet. Once again even though I was there for 12 hours I still did not listen everything.

Eddie Current, a tale of three amps.

The Nautilus, this is one heck of an amp and is a bit of a swiss army knife. It drives single ended, balanced and speakers (8 watts at 8ohms) that are sensitive. Great sounding amp and given its flexibilty could be a cool solution for folks that want one amp to do it all. Of the three amps there it ranked third sonically but not by alot. It is not as refined as the balancing act or the hd2 but it is as good as or better than most amps I have heard in the 2k-3k price range. This amp could be configured for WE 437 driver tubes and that could make it give the BA and HD2 a better run for the money. Craig indicated that the jury was still out on his producing this amp.

The Balancing Act, what can I say I love this amp. Where it beats the Nautilus and potentially the HD2 is tone. This amp has some of the most realistic tone I have heard. Top to bottom it produces great sound but the midrange is really sweet. I really think he has hit a home run with this amp. It is a preamp/headamp so for speakers a power amp will be needed. Given its strenghts with 650, rs1s, audio technica ad2000s and every other headphone thrown at it yesterday it is a winner. We had the proto version that has a standard power supply and we found out that power supply is going to be upgraded in the production version. Also there was talk of some pretty cool case work on this amp.
HD2, well since I own it there is a bit of owner bias probably so I'll let others comment on their thoughts. Needless to say after a year of ownership I love this freakin amp.

KGSS, we had a DX version in the house and I loved it with the lamba pros just a great match. This is an great amp with a nice look and even better sound. I may prefer this sonincally to the BH or ES1 mainly as I am not a huge fan of the pentode sound and find this amp to be smoother in presentation. I am most likely the only person on the planet to feel this way so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Yamamoto HA-02, I may have treated this amp unfairly in the past. I have heard it with grado headphones and it was not a good match at all. With PS1s the bass was flabby and out of control and it did not fair too much better with rs1s. Now I used it today with the Audio Technica Ad2000s and it was a great match. This does not make a whole lot of sense as the AD are 40ohm and the grado are 32 ohm so you figure the same amp would work well with both. If you own AT headohones and need a cool looking small amp that sounds great you need to give this one a look.

Grado GS1000, I owned a pair that I bought directly after the New York meet and sold them a few months after getting them. This pair was better than I recall my old pair sounding. Mine had a tendancy to get hot on the top end but this pair was another story. Great balanced sound and when pushed did get hot/harsh on top. No sibilance to speak of the the mids were good not rs1 good but good. Mikeymad has a pair of these that has the mojo.

Audio Technics AD2000, this high end offering from AT is the Rodney Dangerfield of high end headphones, it just does not get the respect is deserves, IMHO. I have had these for a few weeks and I feel like they out perform the Senn 650s and my RS1s with my amp. They are very open sounding with a very accurate tone. They seem to be amp dependant and scale well rewarding you as you improve source and amp. They are also hard to find in the US. To get real world pricing on these you need to shop on lines stores in Japan.

Big props to Bigguy and Mrs Bigguy for the brownies and pecans. They are some of the nicest people I have met at meets and it is always a pleasure to see them.
Mikey thanks for the awesome beverages as well the whiskey and rye hit the spot yesterday!
thats all for now

Aug 10, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #14 of 36
8 watts from the Nautilus is perfect for K1000s too but we have yet to test them with it for some crazy reason. Foo_me will have to do it for us ;p

Yeah lemme know how you guys wants to get your stuff back. As you both live pretty far away perhaps I can mail em to you.

Aug 10, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #15 of 36
Okay more images: (will add comments in a bit)

Testing out the Pico DAC+AMP

minimeet01.jpg

hmmm my future work rig...????

minimeet02.jpg

Mr and Mrs BigGuy listening

minimeet03.jpg

Dans work rig

minimeet05.jpg

The O2's in action

minimeet07.jpg

From the ES-1

minimeet08.jpg

The Cary 300SEI and Marantx SA-7S1

minimeet09.jpg

hmmmm likes it?

minimeet10.jpg

AST and Foo_me and a pile of stuff...

minimeet11.jpg

minimeet12.jpg

yep, the Craig goodies where in the house.

minimeet13.jpg

The Older and very nice DAC:

minimeet14.jpg

Assemblage DAC

minimeet15.jpg

The big silver WA5 with some monster digital source behide it:

minimeet16.jpg

Dan says, gimmy:

minimeet17.jpg

minimeet18.jpg

300B's on the WA5:

minimeet19.jpg