norah jones - come away with me CD, distortion during Don't Know Why
Apr 24, 2006 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

choariwap

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I was listening to Norah's Don't know why and noticed some distortion during the part near "my heart is drenched in wine" specifically with the backup vocalists going "oooooo"

anybody else notice this?

I've tried playing the CD out of my PC's onboard soundcard to superfi 5 pros and an old Sony minicomponent. I've also tried playing it on a sony hifi compnent system (model numbers escape me right now) out to some sony three-way bookshelf speakers. I've also tried it ripped to 192 kbps MP3 out of my Muvo V200.

the distortion is there in all of them, most pronounced out of the superfis...

anybody else have this? any body know why this could be happening?

I've also tried dloading an mp3 of the song, and its still there

thanks!

Apr 24, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 28
Oh yes, it's there. And not just on that track.

Apr 24, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 28
Yeah same here too, not only on that track.
Funny that i never noticed it before i got my K701, not even on speakers.
I thought it was a good production before
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 28
That album takes the award for the most successful crap-production ever. Don't bother buying the SACD hoping for improvement, it is just the same.

What you should do is drop blue note records a line about how you feel in regard to their "quality".

Apr 24, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson

Ditto.

Apr 24, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson

Ditto.

Apr 24, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
That album takes the award for the most successful crap-production ever. Don't bother buying the SACD hoping for improvement, it is just the same.

Oops.
mad.gif

I always thought that the album was really good over my speakers, never noticed any distortions at all. I guess hearing that kind of detail is a privilege and a curse for those with high-end speakers and good headphones?

Apr 24, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)

Actually, I found the SACD layer on the SACD to be noticeably improved over the Redbook only version. Not great, but definitely better.

Unfortunately, Norah's albums do not have great recording quality. The Little Willles is also poorly recorded.

Apr 25, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #11 of 28
whew! i thought there may be something wrong with my superfis
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks for the responses guys
smily_headphones1.gif

i never noticed it before on speakers, but once i kknew what to look for i hear it on everything i play it on, even crappy stuff.
mad.gif

such a shame though... i really like norah's music.. anyone know of a better recorded version that doesnt have this nasty distortion?

Apr 25, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
The Little Willles is also poorly recorded.

It's a hell of a lot better than her other albums though.

Apr 25, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
It's a hell of a lot better than her other albums though.

How so? The music is great, but the recording quality is horrible. The SACD mix of "Come Away With Me" is better and "Feels Like Home" is certainly no worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back