Nor-Cal Feb 11/2012 Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #16 of 345

Quote:
Well, to say that I had a good meeting would be an understatement.  I'm right now listening to the thinksound ms01 earphones that I won and eagerly awaiting that other thing that I won (sorry, please don't hate me).

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Kidding.  Lucky you... congratulations!  I have a set myself and I think you'll enjoy yours.  Be sure to let us know what you think of them!  Again, congrats!

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #17 of 345
Just curious, who picked up some customs from UE this meet? There was a rather generous discount this year around. :D

I really liked the way the audiologist impressions were run this year also (one at a time.) UE brought quite a few extra people this year also. lol.

Overall, awesome meet. I FINALLY got to listen to some HD800's CT had set up to some sort of super rig (lol) that allowed us to listen to a few different setups by just unplugging and plugging the headphones (brilliant!) Testing the HD800's was clearly a big mistake, because even in my short listening experience, I've already decided that I MUST have a pair.

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #18 of 345

Quote:
Thank you CEE TEE for making me drag my sleepy butt up and out of bed at 5 o'clock in the morning to haul 4 semi-huge boxes of amps (Leben CS300XS, Decware Mini Torii, and the amp built by 2359glenn) and other stuffs down 6 flights of rickety, creaky old 1927 wooden stairs to wait for a ride from Lurkumaural while standing on a damp SF Nob Hill curb.

IT WAS WORTH IT! So let's do it again sometime, okay?

This is great to hear, Clayton! Wish I could have helped. Could you share more about Glenn's amp and pix? Thanks. Looking forward to reading more impressions and seeing pix!
beerchug.gif

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #19 of 345
Thank you CEE TEE for making me drag my sleepy butt up and out of bed at 5 o'clock in the morning to haul 4 semi-huge boxes of amps (Leben CS300XS, Decware Mini Torii, and the amp built by 2359glenn) and other stuffs down 6 flights of rickety, creaky old 1927 wooden stairs to wait for a ride from Lurkumaural while standing on a damp SF Nob Hill curb.

IT WAS WORTH IT! So let's do it again sometime, okay?

That Leben was one of my listening highlights today Clayton SF. I'm glad you got up at the crack of dawn to attend.

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #20 of 345
Wonderful time again this year.
Great to see everyone... great turnout.

Props and a huge thanks to CEE TEE and all the others that made the meet so fantastic!

Special shout out to shipsupt, purrin, anaxilus, mkubota1, frankcooter, mikeymad, daigo, bobcn, n3rdling, blessingx, rroseperry and I know I forgot others... sorry. Lurkumaural + Questhate[size=small]... [/size]thanks so much for hosting my HDD.

Special thanks to Susan for her assistance. (Although the raffle was RIGGED!!! ;^)

mdrluck23... sorry you couldn't make it. You and aamefford really missed a great one.

Some amazing gear... too much to mention. Just a dizzying array of phenominal tech.

Thanks to UE for being so amazingling gracious!

CEE TEE, again, you rock. And the caol ila... c'mon!

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #21 of 345

This rig was fantastic!  Ironbut sweet setup.

Quite a few squeeze boxes being utilized ...

sideways picture of my winning raffle ticket prize.

Really fun meet. Can't wait for next year.

Many thanks to CT.
Fun talking to the Italians.
Jude you are taller than I expected.
Val, v-moda thanks for the Raffle prize will go hand in hand with my LP2.
Haven't had a reason to upgrade to the iPhone 4s until I listened to Val's prototype dac/amp attached to his.

Didn't get a chance to listen to everything and listened to more than I can remember.

Thanks to everyone!

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #22 of 345

[size=14.0pt]Cee Tee,[/size]
[size=14.0pt]Your meets are like the Olympics: when they are over one can only say "best meet ever" year after year. Thanks for all the work, and for giving us the opportunity to meet so many old (and new) friends: it was fun talking to all of you guys![/size]

[size=14.0pt]The quality and quantity of top-notch rigs on display this year was amazing. It was an embarrassment of riches: even the mighty Baby Orpheus/Liquid Lightning pair laid unused for most of the morning (good for me, I had lots of quality time with it).[/size]

[size=14.0pt]Best rig I heard today was, once again, ironbut reel to reel tape deck, with his Zana Deux driving either his HD800 or Frank's LCD3. After being disappointed by the LCD2 last year, the LCD3 were the biggest surprise for me: the veil is gone, the soundstage projected up front, but the "fun" coloration is still there. In a way the LCD3 is closer to the Orpheus than to the LCD2.[/size]

[size=14.0pt]The Cavalli Amps at wiatrob table looked and sounded stunning. The Liquid Fire was my favorite, what a clean and fast amplifier! The detail that was coming out of the HE6 (compared to my HE500, and to the LCD2 at the table) was amazing, and I did not hear a harsh note in spite of HE6 reputation. The Liquid Lightning driving the Baby Orpheus was ... worthy of its load. When later on I listened to a couple of Staxes on the Lightning, I thought the Orpheus slightly dark coloration was perfect to tame the occasional harshness of the Lightning (or more likely of the Oppo BD 95 that was driving it).[/size]

[size=14.0pt]Among many other world class amps (from Woo, Bottlehead, and TTVJ) one that impressed me for its ability to sound just great with any headphones I plugged into it was cjfrbw[/size] [size=14.0pt]Manley 300b preamp. He explained me he has four of those babies into his speaker rig… I’d sure like to hear that![/size]

[size=14.0pt]Finally a shout for the most out-there headphone I listened to today: [/size][size=15.0pt]Mkubota1 [/size][size=15.0pt]Sony PFR-V1. It took me a while (and Mkubota help) to figure out how to position them on my head, but once I managed, and I got some base coming from the in-ear tubes they sounded much, much better than they looked. I see them listed on amazon for $190. Not cheap in absolute terms, but hey it’s 1/5 or 1/10 of the price of a used K1000...[/size]

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #23 of 345

Quote:
I must say, we are very lucky in the Bay Area as we have some heavy hitters here who are kind enough to bring out their equipment for others to enjoy and analyze. CT, this is my 3rd year attending (and I'm promising myself to contribute and setup a table next year) and it was by far the most amazing meet yet! I'm so mad I didn't keep track of all the people's avatars that I liked so if you see me mention your equipment, please add your name for recognition and for me to harrass you with follow-up questions :)

So much amazing equipment at the show, but here are my personal favorites:

* LCD-2 Rev. 2 + Eddie Current Super 7 amp >> Wow!! This pair sound amazing!! Deep, clean bass, crisp highs and lots of impact with a black background. -->OWNER= Eddie Current /Craig.U
* LCD 2 + Leben CS300 >> First time I ever heard the Leben. Man, what an awesome, full-sounding amplifier. Retro design really not my type, but it actually looks very nice up front and the sound is crazy good. --> OWNER = ??
* HiFiman 500 + DecaWare Mini Torri >> This amp not only looks amazing but sounds incredible with both the HiFiman and the LCD-2. Had never even heard of it before the show --> OWNER =?? Same guy as above, he had some serious gear!
* Sennheiser Orpheus....need I say more? --> OWNER= Ne3rdling(sp?)
* Schiit Lyr + LCD2 >> This pair sounding very good and I was surprised. I think this is one of the best bang-for-the-buck amps out there that can drive the modern MagPlanars. It runs QUITE hot to the touch, but $450 and the powerful sound is worth it IMO. --> OWNER=Schiit Audio
* Cavalli Liquid Fire >> Very clean sounding amp, but when I tried the HiFiman HE6 and LCD-2, it just didn't have enough juice in my opinion to run those properly. With dynamics it sounded proper!! -->OWNER=??

Thanks again to all of the people who owned the equipment above and everyone else as well. We have a great community here and a great organizer in CT. Best meet ever in my opinion. T'ill next year!

Agreed.  Lots of amazing phones and amps today. 

Ne3rdling's Orpheus was an unexpected treat.  It's reputation as one of the best setups ever made is well deserved.
The Schiit Lyr with the HE-6 and Audeze phones continue to be easily one of the best deals out there as you say.

I have the Cavelli Liquid Fire for my HE-6.  You do need to turn the dial up a bit, but I find it does have enough juice for these phones.
I also found the Eddie Current 2A3 to be a nice match for the HE-6 at the show as well.

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #24 of 345
Thanks to CEETEE for running a smooth meet again.  I know Christian put a lot of time and energy into organizing everything and I'm sure all attendees today really appreciated all of his efforts.  Also a big thanks to Susan for coming to welcome everyone with a big smile and helping with being the receptionist for the meet.  

It was great to chat with and see everyone again.  Had a good time chatting with my neighbors Clayton SF, particleman10, shipsupt, mkubota1, and shane55.  Also chatted with many others throughout the day, though my terrible memory betrays me again.  

Really enjoyed the big audio technica showing at the meet, W3000ANV (purrin), L3000 (mikeymad) and W5000 (head-fier who set up his gear in the lobby that I cannot remember the name of).  Really solidified my bias toward their cans and further pushing me toward picking up some W3000ANV's while they are still available new.  

Other highlights included Clayton SF's Leben CS300XS, n3rdling's everything, and the various AKG K1000 set up's (there were four of them, I think, and they were were all great).  

It is always a pleasure to spend a day listening to great music with great people.  

Edit:  Sorted through my bad pictures and posted a few of them here.
http://www.head-fi.org/gallery/album/view/id/564454/user_id/137491#

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #25 of 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by daigo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Other highlights included Clayton SF's Leben CS300XS, n3rdling's everything, and the various AKG K1000 set up's (there were four of them, I think, and they were were all great).  

It is always a pleasure to spend a day listening to great music with great people.  

n3rdling's box of top flight headphones is pretty amazing.  Every time he reached in to pull out another one, there was even more great listening ahead !

Feb 12, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #26 of 345
Had this in another meeting thread so transfering it over here.

I must say, we are very lucky in the Bay Area as we have some heavy hitters here who are kind enough to bring out their equipment for others to enjoy and analyze. CT, this is my 3rd year attending (and I'm promising myself to contribute and setup a table next year) and it was by far the most amazing meet yet! I'm so mad I didn't keep track of all the people's avatars that I liked so if you see me mention your equipment, please add your name for recognition and for me to harrass you with follow-up questions :)

So much amazing equipment at the show, but here are my personal favorites:

* LCD-2 Rev. 2 + Eddie Current Super 7 amp >> Wow!! This pair sound amazing!! Deep, clean bass, crisp highs and lots of impact with a black background. -->OWNER= Eddie Current /Craig.U
* LCD 2 + Leben CS300 >> First time I ever heard the Leben. Man, what an awesome, full-sounding amplifier. Retro design really not my type, but it actually looks very nice up front and the sound is crazy good. --> OWNER = ClaytonSF
* HiFiman 500 + DecaWare Mini Torri >> This amp not only looks amazing but sounds incredible with both the HiFiman and the LCD-2. Had never even heard of it before the show --> OWNER =ClaytonSF
* Sennheiser Orpheus....need I say more? --> OWNER= Ne3rdling(sp?)
* Schiit Lyr + LCD2 >> This pair sounding very good and I was surprised. I think this is one of the best bang-for-the-buck amps out there that can drive the modern MagPlanars. It runs QUITE hot to the touch, but $450 and the powerful sound is worth it IMO. --> OWNER=Schiit Audio
* Cavalli Liquid Fire >> Very clean sounding amp, but when I tried the HiFiman HE6 and LCD-2, it just didn't have enough juice in my opinion to run those properly. With dynamics it sounded proper!! -->OWNER=??

Thanks again to all of the people who owned the equipment above and everyone else as well. We have a great community here and a great organizer in CT. Best meet ever in my opinion. T'ill next year!

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #29 of 345

Quote:

Glad you enjoyed demoing my amp. :D

Also, everyone was mad jellerz when you won the grand prize. haha

Yes, thanks again!  Meanwhile, I think I'll be attending future events like this:

I'll of course cut ear holes along with eye holes.

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #30 of 345
@ Rose, I'm in the background of the 4th picture. Aww yeah.

Won a pair of UE 600's from the raffle. So awesome that Cee Tee let me paypal him $20 so I could buy 4 raffle tix. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back