Noobie needing some experienced advice
Apr 15, 2013 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Biblow

New Head-Fier
I've been using an fairly decent headset with my laptop for gaming/movies/music which I've had for about 5 years now. I've realized how much I do actually use them and I figure it would be worth the money to pick up a nice pair of over the ear headphones (I can attach a mic to the headphone wire so that's not an issue). I'm willing to spend 100-300. I know it's a large price bracket but If its going to be worth it I don't mind spending the extra money for a solid gain in sound quality and comfort. That said, if the gains are only minimal and hard to notice I would rather just save my money and buy a cheaper but still good pair. I'm not a "basshead" per say but I do like some good umff when it comes to bass. All and all I would like some clean sound with decent bass. Also, I won't be using these in public much if at all so sound leak and sound canceling doesn't matter much to me.

I'm using a MSI GX60 (http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GX60-1AC.html). It has a realtek sound card(I think...), audio boost, THX TruStudio Pro, and gold plated jacks. I'm hoping this will produce great sound because I'd prefer not to buy an amp. The built in speakers don't compare to headphones but they are surprisingly good with a build in sub and very clear speakers.

I've been doing a little research into the sennheiser brand; not to say I'm not open to others, but more specifically the HD 518, 558, and 598. I have read some great reviews on all of these.

So my questions....
1. I know that the more expensive sennheiser would be better, but by how much really? Would it be worth spending the extra money?
2. The plug for sennheiser comes with a 6.3 and a 3.5 converter, I would assume that the converter would reduce sound quality?
3. I've read the sennheiser isn't made for bassheads as they are meant to deliver a more true, clear sound. I'm wondering, do they still have solid bass? If I feel like I need more I can always turn up the bass through my computer, would they deliver?
4. Would I need to buy an amp or would my laptop be good enough to power these cans?
5. Or would I be better off looking at a different brand? If so which offers good "bang for your buck"?

I would really appreciate some experienced input, thank you!

Apr 15, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 4
I assume it is your first post... lets try how I can help :

1. hd518/558/598 share same drivers, only grills are different you can remove grills yourself or install your grills if you like. drivers are quiet good I would say better then competitors. I liked my hd558 before modding more than ad700 or AKG K240s/mk2 (I fully removed grills on my pair afterwards)
2. you will have better soundstage, detail and instrument separation on hd598. but again you can have it also on hd518 if you remove grill,
3. plugs do not degrade sound quality don't worry
4. Regarding bass... well I would say they have amazing bass, depends what you are after and what is your musical preferences
5. In most cases amp is not required, if you have not enough volume then think about something like fiio E6 or 10. I have Realtec and I do not need amp.
6. Best bang for buck would be hd518+ removed grills

Apr 15, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 4
Yes, this would now be my second haha. Thank you for the quick response, very helpful.

I'm thinking it's between the 518 and the 558 then, the 598 is pretty expensive. I'll have to look up how to remove those grills, does it really make a big difference? Also forgive me if this is a stupid question... Are you saying that the only difference is the grills performance wise? I know the 558 is more comfy.

Thanks again.

Apr 15, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 4
Well... 558 and 598 pads are better material, and that's all.  They have same drivers. The only difference is plastic grills - they create difference in sound. Personally I like without grill, I have compared all these modifications.

if you remove black rubber tape on hd558 you will receive 99% of hd598.  here is mine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back