Noob to full size headphones... Please help?
Jun 17, 2010 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

laxlife1234

100+ Head-Fier
I have $420 from working the past 3 days... I dont want it since I will probably spend it on clothing if I dont get myself a new pair of headphones... I am an IEM guy that is the problem. BUT I want to maybe try out a full size headphone.

I am a bass-head, but for the money I am able to spend I dont care about bass too much as long as it isn't lacking. Other than that, the only thing I want in a pair is noise isolation/cancelling. It doesn't have to be Bose (not my favorite company either, but I give them props for how good the noise cancellation is), but not like a pair of iPod buds. I want it (preferably) as quiet as possible, so I am probably going to ask you to recommend a pair of closed back ones. OH, 1 other thing!! I need clarity to be great.

As for that, I was looking at a few pairs, but would like suggestions please! Here are a few I have been reading up on but still need more recomendations... Grado (no specific model, need help on that), Audio technica ATH W5000, W1000, Denon D5000.. I am liking grado though. The only over-ear headphones I have owned are the crappy studio beats.

I dont know if your ears have to get accustomed to over-ear headphones compared to IEM's? But I dont care, just help me with recomendations please..

With many thanks,
~Jacob

Jun 18, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 11
DT250 (80 ohm) sounds like a good option. Fairly easy to drive, solid isolation and comfort, balanced and sounds good with almost anything.  Keep in mind, no closed headphone will isolate as much as IEMS. Grados are open phones so I don't think they are what your looking for.

Jun 18, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
DT250 (80 ohm) sounds like a good option. Fairly easy to drive, solid isolation and comfort, balanced and sounds good with almost anything.  Keep in mind, no closed headphone will isolate as much as IEMS. Grados are open phones so I don't think they are what your looking for.

If I did get grados, then I would probably keep them at home since I find that wearing over the ear headphones to be too fatiguing. I think I am leaning more towards the Denon D5000 from what I have read (reviews) they dont seem too bad, and it seems like they have great bass. Appreciate the help though. Thanks!

Quote:
don't think you want the grados if your a bit of a bass head. it's not really in their style.

Yeah, maybe not lol. But I am willing to change my style of listening, since I am actually trying to get out of bass, so as I said when replying to the person before I am looking at the Denon D5000. But thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Beyer DT250?

Not really feeling them to be honest. I dont always go off of looks, but I dont think they would be right for me. I mean, as much as I am a noob to full-size cans, I dont mind spending the extra money since I plan on using them more than a year. I am not saying Beyer is a bad value though, but I would rather get something more high end. But I do appreciate the help! Thanks!

Jun 18, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #7 of 11
What's your source/amp? Depending on that would clarify how 'high-end' I would go, at least. For example, the Beyer DT250 and AD900s would be as far high-end as I'd run unamped off an iPod.

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #8 of 11
Well, I am still looking for an amp. So, I could use them un-amped for a while cause to me that is fine. I would be getting an amp though after I purchase the headphones once I raise the $.

Jun 18, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #9 of 11
Wow, can't believer no one pointed out he made $420 in just 3 days. Maybe it just seems like a lot to me because i'm only 16.... I need a job 
confused_face.gif

Jun 18, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Wow, can't believer no one pointed out he made $420 in just 3 days. Maybe it just seems like a lot to me because i'm only 16.... I need a job 
confused_face.gif

Actually, I had a check from work put 1/2 in the bank, and had $75 then I was working for a friend of my moms for 10/hour and racked up 32 hours so 10x32=$320 and i had an extra $30 already lol. So, that is how. I do work at a supermarket though but they didn't have any hours for me pretty much this whole week. Also it is a LOT. That is why I am buying headphones, but I made my decision of Denon D5000 and MTPC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back