noob question re: source volume vs amp volume
Oct 4, 2013 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Wyd4

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

Sorry about such a noob question.

As an example I will use my gear to best ask this question.

I currently use an ak100 into a go vibe portatube into a pair of mad dog t50rp headphones.

As these headphones are somewhat power hungry like most of their planar brothers, In order to get the most out of my setup am I best to run my source at full volume (as it has no line out as such) or my source at moderate volume and my amp at full volume?

Scott

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #2 of 6
From what I've read, running the source at moderate volume and the amp at a higher volume is the way to go. You really should get a DAP with a line out. 

Oct 4, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #3 of 6
  From what I've read, running the source at moderate volume and the amp at a higher volume is the way to go. You really should get a DAP with a line out. 

+1

Oct 4, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #4 of 6
T50RP are not really power hungry. Some dynamic headphones need quite a bit more voltage, current, power.

As for the DAP: turn the volume all the way up and back off a bit. DAPs often show an increase in distortion at 100% volume, so turning it a few percent down and you should be able to enjoy highest sound quality.
A line out is not mandatory since your DAP will only have to drive the line-in of your amp which is usually several kOhms, so very easy to drive.

Oct 4, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #6 of 6
Yeah, that's fine. Set the DAP close to max and leave it there, control the volume using the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back