Noob question about going from a 2.0 to 2.1 speaker set up.
Jan 2, 2010 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

discombobulation

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, I have the Behringer MS-40 jacked into my macbook pro using optical out. I get great sound but I have always pined for a subwoofer to complete the low end.
Now I am getting a Kenwood subwoofer, I wonder how I am going to connect it to the Behringers. Will I need to buy an amp? If so, I'd like to keep the optical i/o because it makes a massive difference in sound for cheap.

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #2 of 7
The speakers you have got are active ones, what that means is if you want a 2.1 system you will have to get a pre-amp connected to your mac,I'am not sure if your sub woofer is an active or a passive one but if its the later then you will need a good amp.

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #3 of 7
I am not on high speed internet so I can't go searching for the speakers you have, but are they hooked into an amp or are they standalone with amps built in?

Most subs, at least what you will probably need, have built in amps with inputs and outputs. You usually have speaker wire running from your amp to the sub inputs and then your speakers are plugged into the outputs. At least this is what I think. This may only be available on higher end subs, though.

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #4 of 7
Yup the Behringers are active.

I am not sure if the subwoofer I am getting is active or passive - I'm getting it ridiculously cheap so the whole thing is a bit of a gamble. I will post here with more details once I get it later today.

Would you happen to know any cheap preamps that work with an optical in? and perhaps have at least one optical out to feed the Behringers? and then the sub could be analogue or something.

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #5 of 7
Okay got the Kenwood subwoofer, it has analogue audio inputs on the back (red/black clipper things). It has no individual power source, so I take it that means it's passive.

Now do I need a DAC with optical in->Amp? if so, how do I split the subwoofer signal and set the crossover?

Alternatively, could a cheap secondhand 5.1 optical input AV receiver act as an amp?

Thanks

Jan 2, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #7 of 7
Hm. Price range is as low as possible because I'm a student.
I am quite an audiophile though (not a good combo, I know), the majority of my library is lossless.
I am looking to add more bass extension without the level of distortion I get with my Behringers on their own. I've been really impressed with the MS40s with optical input, so I'd like to keep some form of optical in the equation - though from my reading so far, this seems like an expensive route.

Just came across this - Behringer Crossover...will this do? and is there a version with an optical input?

Apologies for being so clueless haha.

This is the speaker in the cab - http://www.ciaocrossclub.it/root/dis...i/Kenwood..jpg.
4ohm impedance, 150W.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back