Noob DAC related question
Feb 8, 2010 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bassboysam

1000+ Head-Fier
Is there any benefit to a DAC if your source does not have a digital output. For example I understand that an iPod has a built in DAC, so what does having another external DAC do if the signal has already been converted to analog before it get to the DAC?

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #2 of 6
Same thing better headphones or better speakers do, make the music sound better. My understanding is that with few exceptions you can't bypass the DAC out of an iPod.

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 6
Correct, you only need to convert from Digital to Analog once. If your player does not support digital out, no need for a DAC, you are stuck with what you have. This is why players with a digital out are sought after, because you can hook them to a higher quality DAC than the one built in. Perhaps more importantly, this also let's you bypass the sources (typically inferior) internal amp.

Feb 8, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #4 of 6
There are two iPod transports that I know off, the Wadia and Onkyo which tap on the digital signal bypassing the iPod's DAC and amp.
The Onkyo outputs a digital signal in RCA or Optical and you'll need an external DAC to convert it.

You should post your questions about DACs in the source forum

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by bassboysam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, my bad I just saw a lot of other DAC related questions in this forum.

No problem at all.
In the source forum you'll get more answers for DAC's, Transports etc.
Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back