Non-lyrical music suggestions, please!!!
Feb 20, 2015 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

s1rrah

Headphoneus Supremus
Lyrical music is getting me down ... "hooks" are getting me down ... "popular music" is becoming something that really works my nerves in a bad way ...

The more I listen to Jazz, Classical, Chamber, Drum/Bass, etc. ... and as my experience with various audio listening systems increases (electrostatic/dynamic/etc.) .. the more I realize that I generally enjoy non lyrical content more so than I do lyrical ... of late, anyway .. and strictly in a "sitting in my chair working or just listening" frame of mind. Further, it might have to do with the fact that the more resolving my listening gear gets ... the least accepting it is of badly recorded material ... so I might find an Andras Schiff Beethoven bit to be perfect with my Stax rig ... but at the same time find a live recording of Nirvana to be totally un listenable.

This isn't to say that I don't still love Quicksand or R.E.M. or Angels of Light or The Damned or Nirvana .. because I do still love all those ... it's more so to say that, on average ... those joints just don't work with my current, rather mellow .. rather studied .. chill .. daily schedule (and rig). I mean, if I'm going for a surf .. I'd prefer to listen to something heavy like Quicksand or Black Sabbath but if I'm just working, maybe hanging out around the house .. writing, etc.? ... I'd prefer something more non lyrical ... or otherwise, something that has no chorus/bridge song structure that might get stuck on rotation inside my brain.

So I've been collecting/researching these purely instrumental bits and I've found a few great ones; I'll post the few I've found and that I'm enjoying here in this thread but please share anything else you might know of.

Thanks in advance!!

Silver Ray : a really dope Austrailian band; everything they've released is fantastic. Moody, layered, lots of guitars and reverb. So good....:

David Byrne / Lead us Not in to Temptation: "David Byrne returned to his birthplace, Scotland, to compose the score Lead Us Not Into Temptation — the soundtrack for Young Adam — a new film directed by David MacKenzie."  [source] ... (a super feckn  good record, btw, lyrics or not): 

Red Sparrows : there is some relation to the uber band Neurosis, here ... but I'm not going to try and talk like I know ****, cause I don't. Great (and occasionally heavy) instrumental band ... :

Mt. Wilson Repeater: this is a side project helmed by Jim Putman, the main song writer, producer, etc., for one of my favorite other bands (very lyrical), The Radar Bros. This entire record is mostly (well all, I think) instrumental. Lots of guitar, looped samples and other fun stuff. Really nice ... and both his work with Radar Bros and Mt. Wilsom Repeater is among the best mastered/recorded I've heard... (the guy does not make bad sounding sh it) ... 

The Mercury Program: an insanely talented bunch of guys. Serious, high level jams; saw them live here in Houston back in the late 90's; me and my friend played pool for 4 hours while they just went crazy ... (think Tortoise on steroids) ... so good:

The Necks: another Austrailian band. Prone to long (really long) bouts of harmonic/percussive meandering. Their track "Piano, bass, drums" .should not be missed (I couldn't find it on Youtube). Suffice it to say .. their tracks are usually over 10 minutes long and feature a very slow build, with lots of middle ground complexity .. (lots of Necks shi t here)

And then there is "Mogwai" ... "Explosions in the Sun" ... and more ... (but those are obvious and I'm not going to post videos/samples of them) ... I'm more interested in the "not so much known" arena ...

So shi t like that is what I'm looking/hoping for. Mellow, slow, fast ... doesn't matter. Just no hooks, no lyrics and nothing else that might get stuck in one's brain as one is trying to sleep.

Thanks for any comments ...

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 3
Godspeed? :)

You've probably already heard of them given your liking of Mogwai but just in case... 

(don't be intimated by the length, there's several distinct "movements")

Users who are viewing this thread

Back