Non-headphone people's opinions
May 25, 2009 at 10:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Germancub

500+ Head-Fier
So I was showing my Aunt my HD650's the other day (who, coincidentally knows NOTHING about audio). Her response was... "really comfortable and the sound is like silk, so smooth". I thought it was incredible that a non headphone person could point that out. I showed her my Grado SR225's afterwards, her response was "I can understand the vocals really well, but they sound like the speaker is pressed against my ear but the other ones sound more like real speakers, these are also really uncomfortable, hopefully you didn't pay too much for these".

Anyway, thought I'd share, got any stories you'd like to add???

May 25, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #3 of 44
thank you! One other thing I'd like to add, ever noticed how non-headphone people always tend to talk REALLY loud when they have headphones on? LOL

May 25, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #4 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Germancub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thank you! One other thing I'd like to add, ever noticed how non-headphone people always tend to talk REALLY loud when they have headphones on? LOL

When my girlfriend wears my hd600,she talks way too loud,too.
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

It's always entertaining to mouth words at people when they're wearing headphones to see if they'll shout so you can hear them over the music in their head.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 25, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #8 of 44
Quote:

I still have a tendency to do that.
tongue.gif

May 25, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #9 of 44
My parents bought me my first headphones. They paid for not listening to my speakers. Literally!

May 25, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #10 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by xaval /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My parents bought me my first headphones. They paid for not listening to my speakers. Literally!

You're lucky, my parents actively try to stop spending my money on headphones (they think its silly to have more than one, let alone more than 2, and don't understand that they all sound different
rolleyes.gif
).

May 25, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #12 of 44
Quote:

Anyway, thought I'd share, got any stories you'd like to add???

Most people really do love good headphones. I like to give away the SR-60 to friends and family, but I don't go into details about them. The first reaction is that they've never heard of Grados, and I'll say something like, 'I stumbled across them a few years ago and really love my Grados. I thought you'd like them, too.' Then a few weeks later they'll usually tell me that they've never heard anything this good.

One caveat: you generally do not want tell non-Head-Fi'ers what you paid for your gear. DIY is the best dodge there is ("oh, I found some parts at the swapmeet and had some others in my junk drawer and put them together"), but you can always say something like, "I don't really know. I found some old records at a garage sale and traded them for these with a guy on the Internet." Stuff like that keeps others from thinking you're insane. Rightly, perhaps.

May 25, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
M

One caveat: you generally do not want tell non-Head-Fi'ers what you paid for your gear. DIY is the best dodge there is ("oh, I found some parts at the swapmeet and had some others in my junk drawer and put them together"), but you can always say something like, "I don't really know. I found some old records at a garage sale and traded them for these with a guy on the Internet." Stuff like that keeps others from thinking you're insane. Rightly, perhaps.

Yeah, NEVER tell 'normal' people about the cost. Even though those same people are willing to buy a $2500 computer for gaming (that will be obsolete in 2 years!!!!!), they scoff and make fun of my $600 cans, which will last me until another episode of upgraditis. The world is cruel.

May 25, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #14 of 44
The mouthing words to people wearing headphones thing is so true... LOL

May 25, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The headphone people. That sounds like an ancient tribe you would read about in some dusty report from an anthropologist.

Will be featured on the Discovery Channel at 11.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back