Non-Fatiguing Grado's?
Jun 18, 2014 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

music101

100+ Head-Fier
I'm facing a bit of a dilemma and am hoping my more experienced forum colleagues could help out a bit.

I love hearing detail in my music, and I also enjoy 'fun' v shape response headphones.

However, I do find headphones with a treble emphasis to be fatiguing and can't listen to these types of headphones for long periods. I've always wanted a pair of grado's but keep deciding against them because of their reputation as bright/fatiguing headphones.

Quick questions:

1. Some say Alessandro MS1i's are similar to Grado's but are a bit less fatiguing because the treble is rolled off ever so slightly. Is this an accurate assessment of the alessandro's sound signature?

2. What if I listen to grado's at low listening levels only? Will the harshness/fatigue issue become moot at low volumes?

Thanks -- looking forward to a solution.

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #3 of 26
Generally, Grados are more on the brighter side so it's best to just stay away if you don't like treble emphasis. I've listened to several Alessandro cans, and the differences I've noticed are within margin or error/placebo.

SR325i are the bassiest Grados with the lowest highs I've heard, but they can still be considered bright.

Part of that that V-shape sound signature is the tremble emphasis. You're better off going for warmer or darker cans. 

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #4 of 26
The PS500 is the most laid back Grado, but still fairly aggressive... I love them, they have just enough treble to sound right without any painful sibilance.

Jun 18, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #6 of 26
What if I were to listen to these at low volume only? Say, around 50 dBA. Would the treble emphasis become a non-issue at such low voumes?

I have never heard a better headphone at low volume.....grado's excel at low volume listening
smile.gif

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 26
What if I were to listen to these at low volume only? Say, around 50 dBA. Would the treble emphasis become a non-issue at such low voumes?

I haven't heard them, but generally it is very hard to speculate because phones change with the volume. Many cans sounds sub par at lower volumes (like Audeze e.g.) Volume preference and volume specific performance might also explain why people's impressions differ so much around here (in addition to all the ther variables, of course)

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #8 of 26
They say the dose makes the poison.

I'm wondering if the treble emphasis might be a good thing at low volume but start to become a negative even at medium volume, especially with certain recordings that emphasize treble.

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #9 of 26

I'm wondering if the treble emphasis might be a good thing at low volume but start to become a negative even at medium volume, especially with certain recordings that emphasize treble.

Grado recommends listening to them at low volume....so, that says something.

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #10 of 26

True - but at low levels you also need the bass to come through... without overshadowing the mids.. it is a tricky game. But I have the T1, which is really quite bright - they are good for low level listening, and terrible for loud listening. Still - they fatigue me more at low levels than the Audezes or Hifimans or HD650 does at higher levels... 

Jun 18, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #12 of 26
Does anyone hear/audition grado's latest E series? What's the improvement over the I series?

Sent from my T3 using Tapatalk

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #13 of 26
Listening to a headphone at "low volume"--which emphasizes that it's lower than your normal listening volume--in fear of a portion of that headphones particular sound is like owning a dog, being allergic to it and asking, "What if I just don't pet it that often?" 

I don't know why you're so caught on Grado. Fine, they're great headphones--my SR80is got me into hifi, and I still own them because they're that great--but they're not worth making sacrifices over. Just like all audio equipment.

Find a headphone that suits your needs, don't bend yourself to the headphones. 

Jun 18, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #15 of 26

FWIR Grado ps500 is less bright than the rest of the pack.

If you want a fun, detailed headphone, try a well amped Hifiman HE500 :)

I've read good things about the PS. They're way over my budget, however, which is $100.
smily_headphones1.gif

FWIW, I can listen to the MS1i for about 30min before needing to rest. Can listen to the mspro and HF2 forever, while requiring rest every hour or so with the PS1k.

Can only listen to about 3 songs on the RS1i during an audition before needing to rest.

Your tolerance/listening preference might differ and you should definitely try them out at a shop if possible. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back