Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
May 27, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #2,026 of 6,432
I find Firefox 4 is faster, but yeah, it's crashing often. I'm typing this through Safari, It is the only browser that lets me post on Head-fi (why!?!?!) 
Anyway, let a friend of mine hear the Portapro/pa2v2/Walkman S639 combo, he was blown away, and has recently bought the PortaPros, and asked me where he can get the amp 
biggrin.gif
. Pure awesomeness, and unlike my crazy expensive mega rig (HD800/Markl Adrenaline/Lisa III XP/ custom LOD/Walkman X1061) My "El Cheapo" rig is affordable, the headphones and the amp are under $100 and  both come with a lifetime warranty, THAT'LL show em the light!

May 27, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #2,027 of 6,432
The only person that appreciates good sound in my family is my sister. My mother tried my balanced HD600 setup and said 'it's nice', but she's also the one who can't pick out individual instruments in a recording so I don't really worry about her response. When my sister tried the same setup with some of her favorite tracks she immediately sat back in the chair lost in the music. When she sat up to take the headphones she took a deep breath in as if she'd been out of her body for a time, which is exactly my same reaction after a great listening session. She never seems to be able to put words to it, but I can tell she knows what sounds good.

May 27, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #2,028 of 6,432
The reason why most people get a lackadaisical response is understandable.  I don't know why but I hate it when people ask me a question they already know the answer to.  It's annoying so I give the opposite answer/response they are expecting.  The same thing happens with headphones.  You already know your headphones are better than anything he/she has heard but you offer it in a modest gesture & await for the confirmation and/or acceptance that you have good pair of headphones.  If most people have the confidence to tell someone that "yeah my headphones are damn good" a lot of people wouldn't be giving that "meh" response.    

Or maybe he/she really can't tell quality but I'm positive it is mostly the former.

May 27, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #2,029 of 6,432
I work in a large retail electronics chain in sweden and run the headphone dept. there. We're about 45 staff atm, and I think I've sold headphones to almost ALL of them at this point. Many of them have been listening to the various headphones I've owned and used when commuting to work and flat-out just bought the same models, even though they're more expensive than the ones they were thinking about from the beginning! I've had especially good success since we started carrying audio-technica headphones (first official retailer in sweden!) since they have fantastic value for money. I've sold many ATH-ES7's and ES55's and also ATH-AD700 and A500 lately which feels a lot better since many of my coworkers starts out by trying the Bose- och Monster headphones before trying any models I recommend :)

There's one guy in the middle of making the same musical journey I did myself, going from ibuds to what I have today. It started when I decided to sell my Bose on-ear to get a pair of Alessandro MS-1i. He bought my old bose, loving them. Now he's selling them off after getting a Little dot amp and borrowing my K701 which he has also decided to buy (I don't use them since I got W1000X and LCD-2)! Maybe I should let him try my Sony MDR-Z1000 which I use as portable cans... :)

May 27, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #2,030 of 6,432

Quote:
I don't know man. The DT770 line all sound  different, especially the 80Ohm Pro model which has massive bass. When I had DT770's before they did not have the ports so I always thought they didn't then I figured out that they aways have had them. But now there are a few variations of the 600Ohm model out there with one being bass light and the other being bass heavy. I thought the ports would be an easy way to spot them but I was wrong. I really don't know how to tell them apart.

And thanks for the words on my thread. It took me a while to write and I am glad you all are enjoying it. I will be adding updated impressions soon.

It's good that someone finally tried the impossible- way of sorting this beyer hoo haa. The problem with the ports is it's permanent damage. Im not foreign to modding myself and covering up the holes isn't the absolute solution.
For the dt770, I see it as a permutation between these variables: pre/post 2005, pro/consumer, 30/80/250/600 ohms, ports/no ports. Maybe even more.  

Quote:
When I say they cost him $2, I'm 100% serious
redface.gif

Joking
wink_face.gif

But I get where you come from. I've had a similar experience with my d2k and my mates ebay fake cx300. 'Yea, your's is alright, but I like mine better- wikid sound!'

May 27, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #2,031 of 6,432

Quote:
It's been crashing at least once every 20 minutes, it really feels slower, and the new look isn't an improvement imo. 

Only once every 20 minutes? Mine crashed every 5 minutes (I wish this were exaggeration). However, the new layout is more than satisfactory, IMHO. 
OT: My coworker responded humorously after a quick session with my headphones: "You're still crazy for spending this much on headphones." 

May 27, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #2,038 of 6,432
Heh, that's kind of the point of Lynx. I mainly use Chrome, but I have every major browser installed and use it from time to time. Partly cause I'm in IT and it helps to be able to poke around on my own to figure stuff out.

Quote:
Okay, that's a little better, but I still prefer Chrome.  At least Lynx isn't resource hungry, even Chrome can eat up my RAM.

Of course, Lynx also doesn't support fancy-schmancy stuff like images, but whatever. :p

May 27, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #2,039 of 6,432
What?!  Why you guys hatin' on good ole Netscape?  It was around long before firefox came on the scene.  Just because it's ancient, slow, and lacks any sleek features doesn't mean it's worse than you wippersnapper's Firefox!
wink_face.gif
  Seriously, is Netscape still around?

May 27, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #2,040 of 6,432
Nope, it just got killed a couple of years ago, I think. Even then it was just a reskinned firefox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back