Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 26, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #5,911 of 6,432
The vmoda is not heavy. The cable is supposed to be world-class tough.

Who did you hear that from?

In my experience, the V-MODA cables are a joke. They are inflexible and have memory problems, they fray, they have terrible microphonics, and one of mine even came apart at the microphone attachment.

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #5,912 of 6,432
Quote:
When you say Fostex, I guess you mean the portable amp? That thing looks legit!

I was talking about my T50RP Mad Dog, but I do plan on buying the HP-P1 soon, since I now own an iDevice.

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #5,913 of 6,432
Quote:

In my experience, the V-MODA cables are a joke. They are inflexible and have memory problems, they fray, they have terrible microphonics, and one of mine even came apart at the microphone attachment.

I believe it's the newer on ear and over ear headphones by V-MODA that have the improved cables. Check out the V-MODA reviews on Innerfidelity. I believe they mention which ones have the new cables.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/v-moda-crossfade-m-80-and-v-80-true-blood-headphones

Also check out this video about the stress testing they do on their cables:

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #5,914 of 6,432
Quote:

I believe it's the newer on ear and over ear headphones by V-MODA that have the improved cables. Check out the V-MODA reviews on Innerfidelity. I believe they mention which ones have the new cables.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/v-moda-crossfade-m-80-and-v-80-true-blood-headphones

Also check out this video about the stress testing they do on their cables:

I was one of the "theta" testers for the M-100 (the "VTF-100" during the limited 300 unit test run); as a result, I not only got the two normal cables, but the pro microphone cable as well. The M-100 cables are laughably bad.

I took this back when I owned them, before I returned them.

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #5,915 of 6,432
Quote:

My V-moda Bass Freq Metal IEMs have held up to quite a lot of abuse. My mic came apart or I may have stepped on it, but after wrapping it in a piece of electrical tape they still work well. When I answer my phone I always ask people if they can hear me and they always say it's good, even when i'm riding my bike down a windy highway. They actually have turned out to be pretty good for me. Sound is bearable. Luckily got mine for $25 on sale. However, I can imagine that spending more on VMODA isn't a guarantee of any major improvement in sound or quality. 

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #5,916 of 6,432
Quote:
I was talking about my T50RP Mad Dog, but I do plan on buying the HP-P1 soon, since I now own an iDevice.

I read that it's quite a big bulky amp. And maybe 6 hours on battery life is another bad. The PA2V2 looks like a good deal and got #1 rating of portable amp on headfi. It is said to have 100 hours of life and is at least 8X cheaper. Plus, how long do you really think you'll be content with that i-thingie? 1-2 years max.

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #5,919 of 6,432
man talk about a raise
wink.gif
 also gonna ask a question, how does the HE300 compare to the HE400 and how difficult is it to drive them?

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #5,920 of 6,432
HE-300 is, IMO, pointless. It's a dynamic headphone, so you're not getting any of the planar magnetic goodness that is HiFiMan's upper-tier products (with the 400, 500, and 6).

The HE-400 is very fun and colored. The HE-500 is very neutral and refined. The HE-6 is basically a better, harder to drive version of the HE-500.

I don't own any of the units, so I can't comment on how hard any of them are to drive.

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #5,921 of 6,432
Quote:
HE-300 is, IMO, pointless. It's a dynamic headphone, so you're not getting any of the planar magnetic goodness that is HiFiMan's upper-tier products (with the 400, 500, and 6).

The HE-400 is very fun and colored. The HE-500 is very neutral and refined. The HE-6 is basically a better, harder to drive version of the HE-500.

I don't own any of the units, so I can't comment on how hard any of them are to drive.

alright thanks. my friend won't be so happy then
wink.gif

i found the headfonia review of the HE300 a little fishy since they state it does all genres well, better genre bandwidth than many flagships (listed include HD800,K1000,T1,PS1000 and a few others i forgot)
and gives overwhelmingly nice review to everything it has on the website while saying how much better it is than the other products. (giving the impression of a giant killer)
so the real question is how does the HE300 compare to the SRH940? i ask on the behalf my buddy
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #5,922 of 6,432
Quote:
Quote:

alright thanks. my friend won't be so happy then
wink.gif

i found the headfonia review of the HE300 a little fishy since they state it does all genres well, better genre bandwidth than many flagships (listed include HD800,K1000,T1,PS1000 and a few others i forgot)
and gives overwhelmingly nice review to everything it has on the website while saying how much better it is than the other products. (giving the impression of a giant killer)
so the real question is how does the HE300 compare to the SRH940? i ask on the behalf my buddy
tongue_smile.gif

People really like the HE-300.. The people who have tried them love them.

Jan 27, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #5,923 of 6,432
Quote:

From what I've read the he-300 Isn't a bad deal, because I've considered them too. For a first good headphone, and for people that don't already have a distinct taste for a sound signature, how will he know if they aren't the best? Keep us up on his reaction, I think he'll be stoked.
Also with the Shure 940, I've read mixed reviews on them too. The 840 and 1840 seems to be liked a lot more though. Shure or HIfiman, he'll adjust to them and probably going to be stoked about them.

Jan 27, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #5,925 of 6,432
From what I've read the he-300 Isn't a bad deal, because I've considered them too. For a first good headphone, and for people that don't already have a distinct taste for a sound signature, how will he know if they aren't the best? Keep us up on his reaction, I think he'll be stoked.

I'm not saying they're bad at all (I've never heard any of HiFiMan's products) but what I'm saying is, it would be like getting a Stax that isn't an electrostatic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back