Noise-cancelling headphone advice needed
Mar 3, 2013 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

awhein

New Head-Fier
I'm a frequent flier and am looking for a headphone that cancels noise but has great sound. I've heard the Bose QuietComfort's have the best noise-cancelling but not the greatest sound. What headphone, in your opinion, has the best of both worlds? I'm not looking to spend more than the Bose's price though.

Mar 3, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #2 of 3
Welcome to the forum... There a several very informed threads on the topic and it would be worth your while to use the search tools above to catch them. This one I got just by using "noise cancelling" as the filter amongst many others was a good one...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/620475/noise-cancelling-headphone-dilema

I've had my Bose QC-15s for a few years and despite the commonly held criticism, I find their SQ reasonable and the isolation second to none. As a regular flyer, I hint the SQ issue is beaten up because you will always get some outside noise anyway so an aircraft is hardly an ideal listening environment. To me the NC quality is a much more important criterion.

That said, I converted to good IEMs a year or so back for shorthaul flights to save the bulk of full size headphones. My W4Rs make excellent flying companions but on a long flight the Bose come with me. 

Also check out Audio Technicas. They are highly regarded and considerably less expensive but I have no personal experience. 

I do suggest you search the existing threads then come back if you can't find your further questions.

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #3 of 3
The Bose will be the best choice imho. I think they hold their own, sound-wise, especially compared to their nearest competitors (other ANC headphones), but even relative to conventional dynamic cans, they aren't slouches.

This might be of some use to you:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparative-review-high-end-noise-canceling-headphones

It includes isolation measurements too. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back