Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Aug 16, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #30,856 of 36,116
My favourite DAP is the AK SR15 personally - extremely neutral (maybe slightly mid-centric), very small (easily fits in my pocket along with my phone or wallet) and pretty decent battery life too. Quite lightweight as well and extremely durable. The pairing with the Katana is goddamn exceptional, I'm listening to the two as we speak and I am melting...

Speaking of which I'd love to write another 3 paragraphs praising the Katana once again but i must hold back as I've done this numerous times on this thread :D

I have to say, I wasn't planning on an A&K as the price is usually above my pay grade. I was very fortunate to find a like-new SR15 here on head-fi for $450 shipped. I was very lucky and I agree it is a lovely player all around.

Aug 16, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #30,858 of 36,116
I have to say, I wasn't planning on an A&K as the price is usually above my pay grade. I was very fortunate to find a like-new SR15 here on head-fi for $450 shipped. I was very lucky and I agree it is a lovely player all around.
I also refuse to go into the thousands on a DAP as I have the RME ADI 2 DAC and that is imo IEM endgame sound. Still haven’t heard anything that sounds better at any price point and I’m not much of a headphones guy so those giant amp boxes are a hard pass from me. The AK SR15 is I think the best you can get in the under 1000 bracket, I like it far better than both the M11 and the DX220

Aug 16, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #30,859 of 36,116
That wacky-looking screen tilt, nope. :unamused:

Actually, the angled screen is perfectly upright when held in one's (Right) hand, lefties are not so fortunate.
So... looks wonky, but works and makes sense.

I also refuse to go into the thousands on a DAP as I have the RME ADI 2 DAC and that is IMO IEM endgame sound. Still, haven’t heard anything that sounds better at any price point and I’m not much of a headphones guy so those giant amp boxes are a hard pass from me. The AK SR15 is I think the best you can get in the under 1000 bracket, I like it far better than both the M11 and the DX220

Yeah, I was looking for a DP-X1 replacement without going back to ONKYO, (Bad experience), but still keeping that DP-X1 sound, I was very fortunate. I don't have a lot of options around me to listen to gear. I'm definitely sold on the A&K sound and quality, but I have to say I'm very interested in the upcoming Fiio M11-Pro, that's been getting really great reviews. Not that I'm getting rid of my A&K.

Actually, I've been drooling over the beautiful AK240 BlueNote on their webpage @ $1600 with 75 BlueNote albums included for $1,299.00 on sale from?? If I had the cash to burn....

obj_1_lg.png

Now you can chime in Wata, as I'm sure you're going to tell me to jump on it since you have one.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #30,860 of 36,116
Actually, the angled screen is perfectly upright when held in one's (Right) hand, lefties are not so fortunate.
So... looks wonky, but works and makes sense.

Yeah, I was looking for a DP-X1 replacement without going back to ONKYO, (Bad experience), but still keeping that DP-X1 sound, I was very fortunate. I don't have a lot of options around me to listen to gear. I'm definitely sold on the A&K sound and quality, but I have to say I'm very interested in the upcoming Fiio M11-Pro, that's been getting really great reviews. Not that I'm getting rid of my A&K.

Actually, I've been drooling over the beautiful AK240 BlueNote on their webpage @ $1600 with 75 BlueNote albums included for $1,699.00 on sale from?? If I had the cash to burn....

obj_1_lg.png

Now you can chime in Wata, as I'm sure you're going to tell me to jump on it since you have one.

Last time I looked they didnt actually have them in stock. Someone on the FS/FT forum has a 240 for $575, not a blue note. Just checked and the complete package was listed at $1899, sold out. $1299 for the unit only seems to be in stock. I believe in buying these things used.

Aug 16, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #30,862 of 36,116
Right, sorry that was a typo, they do have them and for $1299, which is $17.32 per album and you basically get the player for free!!!

The way I got my blue note was pretty cool. I had the reg 240 and dropped it, ended up cracking the screen. I took it over to IRiver/AK since they are in my area. I paid the money for the screen repair and Owen just grabbed a blue not and gave it to me. So I had zero downtime, pretty darn cool and yes I have told that story before. I think it had music on it, but it didn't matter, I was deleting all that anyhow, I only 300+ songs

Aug 16, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #30,863 of 36,116
The way I got my blue note was pretty cool. I had the reg 240 and dropped it, ended up cracking the screen. I took it over to IRiver/AK since they are in my area. I paid the money for the screen repair and Owen just grabbed a blue not and gave it to me. So I had zero downtime, pretty darn cool and yes I have told that story before. I think it had music on it, but it didn't matter, I was deleting all that anyhow, I only 300+ songs

Music is one of the issues I have as well

I'm kinda in the jungle out here... so my music content is a bit sketchy

Rico Suave is going to help me with that but I fear he will put a lot jazz on it because he knows how I feel about jazz

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Aug 17, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #30,865 of 36,116
I also refuse to go into the thousands on a DAP as I have the RME ADI 2 DAC and that is imo IEM endgame sound. Still haven’t heard anything that sounds better at any price point and I’m not much of a headphones guy so those giant amp boxes are a hard pass from me. The AK SR15 is I think the best you can get in the under 1000 bracket, I like it far better than both the M11 and the DX220
A&K DAPs are pretty good, albeit expensive. The SR15 is a pretty decent offering, but damn, that screen is.... just wrong.

Aug 17, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #30,866 of 36,116
And how would the AK380 SS pair up with the Katana?
From memory, the AK380 SS has a very bright signature. The Katana is also the most treble-strong IEM in Noble's range (until the Khan, of course). The combination is a little too strident for my ears. I used to have a normal AK380, though, and it paired very well with the Kaiser Encore.

Aug 17, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #30,867 of 36,116
9B50F201-3C89-482B-8CB6-C31C337FC1A2.jpeg
E890F51F-36AF-4DC4-83E5-66AE6C4FDDF0.jpeg
A wild Noble Savant II spotted in its natural habitat!

Full review coming up tonight or tomorrow

(I was very careful about dust and particles, cleaned the rock pretty extensively before taking the photos)

Aug 17, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #30,868 of 36,116
Music is one of the issues I have as well

I'm kinda in the jungle out here... so my music content is a bit sketchy

Rico Suave is going to help me with that but I fear he will put a lot jazz on it because he knows how I feel about jazz

I have, on numerous occasions, come close to buying the AK240 blue note package even though I don’t particularly care for my AK nor do I listen to jazz. It sums up my addiction to acquiring audio/audio products nicely.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #30,869 of 36,116
My only reservation against getting the ak240 would be if you want the newer AK UI (which is great IMO) and potential issue with the volume dial on the 240. I had one before.

Aug 18, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #30,870 of 36,116
A wild Noble Savant II spotted in its natural habitat!

Full review coming up tonight or tomorrow

(I was very careful about dust and particles, cleaned the rock pretty extensively before taking the photos)
My wife has a Savant II herself, and she likes it (a lot). It's hard to get her to share the love, but on the rare occasion that she does, I enjoy it thoroughly.

Plus, the Savant II is somewhat unique in the IEM world - it comes in a variety of designs. I don't quite remember another manufacturer that routinely offers a myriad aesthetic variations on a single product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back