Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Feb 8, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #26,881 of 36,116
Just got my custom encores, have them in right now. First impression: Holy cow, the resoution and clarity blows my jh16 fp out of the water. It's slightly brighter too, and the pianos sound so much better. Soundstage about the same, maybe slightly larger than the jh16's. Bass slam not nearly as powerful as the jh16 but its definitely just as deep (about 6db less bass than jh16). Good thing I decided to get encores and not katanas, I can't imagine encores with less bass.

The Katana shines over the Encore in clarity, at least I think it does. It MAJORLY impressed me in that area, sure their are trade offs, but the clarity was the very first thing that hit me.

Feb 8, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #26,882 of 36,116
The Katana shines over the Encore in clarity, at least I think it does. It MAJORLY impressed me in that area, sure their are trade offs, but the clarity was the very first thing that hit me.

I'm sure it does. But the clarity and resolution that the encores have over the jh16fp is a big enough step that I am really satisfied. The only thing that I wish could be better was if it had as much sub bass power as the jh16's. But that can be fixed through EQ.

Feb 8, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #26,884 of 36,116
well, I lift up 75hz and below to 13db in viperbass (Yes 13, pls don't judge me). Doesn't seem to affect the encores clarity. Viperbass is a part of vipereffects which is an android app, but it was specially built into the fiio x7v2's player. I find that normal EQ usually does funny things to the player but viper eq actually makes it sound like you have a bass boost amp attached to your player.

Feb 8, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #26,885 of 36,116
If EQing the Encore IEM another thing that works is very tiny incremental pulls in frequency. Pulling a tiny amount of treble and a slightly larger amount of midrange, enhances the comprehension of lower mid-range and bass, in my humble experience.

Thus, not adding anything simply pulling back.

Feb 8, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #26,887 of 36,116
I'm sure it does. But the clarity and resolution that the encores have over the jh16fp is a big enough step that I am really satisfied. The only thing that I wish could be better was if it had as much sub bass power as the jh16's. But that can be fixed through EQ.

I've actually dialed back the bass EQ on the JH16s because sometimes it's a bit too much, but it's nice to know it's there when I want it. I found that the Encores were right in the sweet spot for the majority of my listening.

Feb 8, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #26,889 of 36,116
Once a basshead alwaus a basshead over these ways. The K10s’ mid-bass is easily 10/10 but with a very small handful of tracks the sub-bass doezn’t quite get there. I’m not sure whether to upgrade thecable, upgrade my source or simply EQ.

In saying that coming from the bass heavy SE846s I’m more than happy with the switch from brute force and quantity to refinement and textural perfection.

Feb 8, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #26,890 of 36,116
giphy.gif
Nothing wrong with loving the bass

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #26,891 of 36,116

Sub bass is the one thing that has always made me think a hybrid could be the best in the world. Of course best is always a matter of opinion. But a really nice Dynamic mixed with the pluses of the BA drivers, its no surprise people have been trying to make one to have the best of both worlds.

Feb 9, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #26,892 of 36,116
Got my Encores back today and now my Katanas are back in their pelican case. Encores are so wide that echoes are a thing easy. Katana does it too, just not as wide or often unless its treble related. Vocals are a little less foward on Encore but there is so much more emotion. The treble can be compared like this: Encore treble is perfectly balanced and Katana skates on the edge of sibilance at times. Katana bass is more present most of the time where Encore bass can sometimes disappear but there is definitely more when it counts. Katana is FAST. Encore chills out a little bit, justtt a little.

Feb 9, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #26,893 of 36,116
Feb 9, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #26,895 of 36,116
@Stranger Than Fiction

It’s the concept that I was trying to show. Everyone has different cables, different ears, different music genres and different DAPs. You are going to want to pull the EQ areas below the center line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back