Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Mar 6, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #24,886 of 36,116
OMG!

Just fell in completely in love again with the K10. I guess I found the perfect combo for me: Foam tips, Moon Audio Silver Dragon v1, JDSLabs C5D with the bass boost on low and I am in heaven. Man is the K10 good. 

Thanks Dr. Wizard John!! I had once again a wonderful evening listening to my favorite tunes. I think my desire for any other earphone is dead right now. And yes, I updated my review of the "other" flagship to reflect that.

Just wonder how good the Encore would be....

Cheers!

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #24,887 of 36,116
I was schlepping around a Peli 1060 with the Encore, K10 and Katana as well as tips, a few cables and of course my Mojo. Decided to repack and keep the basics in a Peli 1020 instead:

Mojo on the left is a perfect fit in the rubber liner of the Peli 1020, leaving the perfect amount of room for the Encores in their velvet pouch.

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #24,888 of 36,116
  I was schlepping around a Peli 1060 with the Encore, K10 and Katana as well as tips, a few cables and of course my Mojo. Decided to repack and keep the basics in a Peli 1020 instead:

Mojo on the left is a perfect fit in the rubber liner of the Peli 1020, leaving the perfect amount of room for the Encores in their velvet pouch.

This is awesome! I ordered the 1020 on accident (meant to get the 1010 like my Djangos came with) and was wondering what the heck I could possibly do with a case that's way too big. I have a Mojo as well, thanks! :)

-Collin-

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #24,889 of 36,116
  OMG!

Just fell in completely in love again with the K10. I guess I found the perfect combo for me: Foam tips, Moon Audio Silver Dragon v1, JDSLabs C5D with the bass boost on low and I am in heaven. Man is the K10 good. 

Thanks Dr. Wizard John!! I had once again a wonderful evening listening to my favorite tunes. I think my desire for any other earphone is dead right now. And yes, I updated my review of the "other" flagship to reflect that.

Just wonder how good the Encore would be....

Cheers!

I am JUST about to pull the trigger on the Silver dragons. They pair well with the K10? any noticeble differences from the stock silver plated copper cable?

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #24,890 of 36,116

OH MY GOD. YOU SIR ARE A GENTLEMAN AND A SCHOLAR.

I have the 1020 AND the mojo and ive been carrying my current daily drivers (pun intended) the IT03s together with my mojo in it. I have never noticed how perfectly and securely it fit in there! I just tested it..and oh man. Ive been keeping it in a felt bag so it wouldnt rattle around inside the case but now i wont need it!!

THANK YOU. 

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #24,891 of 36,116
Bummer. My Noble Sage arrived today, but the right ear is faulty. Tried two different cables, same result.

They're also a little awkward in the ear. I hoped I'd get to figure them out, but not with a dead IEM.

No worries. I know Noble will take care of it. I have Encore to keep me company in the meanwhile. :D

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #24,892 of 36,116
   I am JUST about to pull the trigger on the Silver dragons. They pair well with the K10? any noticeble differences from the stock silver plated copper cable?

Oh yes, I think they do. I purchased them originally just to use the K10 with my balanced card in my Hifiman HM-901 but with the help of the ifi IEM match I can use them now on many other DAPs and amps as well with this cable.

Finally enjoying the K10 on the Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon on my desk at work - yummy - I tell you!

Sorry forgot the differences:
Talking about cable differences I am rather skeptical. However, I found this cable to let the bass through a bit more, which I like, details seem to be clearer, soundstage a bit wider (but that could be the balanced operation).

I like the sound more than from the stock cable. 

All these "differences" can also be purely my imagination - so please take this with a huge grain of salt. I am skeptical about my own "impressions" in regards to cables.

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #24,893 of 36,116

This is awesome! I ordered the 1020 on accident (meant to get the 1010 like my Djangos came with) and was wondering what the heck I could possibly do with a case that's way too big. I have a Mojo as well, thanks! :)

-Collin-

OH MY GOD. YOU SIR ARE A GENTLEMAN AND A SCHOLAR.

I have the 1020 AND the mojo and ive been carrying my current daily drivers (pun intended) the IT03s together with my mojo in it. I have never noticed how perfectly and securely it fit in there! I just tested it..and oh man. Ive been keeping it in a felt bag so it wouldnt rattle around inside the case but now i wont need it!!

THANK YOU. 

I was pretty happy to discover it yesterday, as I was starting to look at having custom foam made for a larger case... So that means I've saved money which means I shoud reward myself with a nice new cable. Maybe get a Linum Super Bax again, but for 3.5mm this time. Or maybe a custom job, something black with a dash of red... or maybe both? I've earned it.

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #24,894 of 36,116
I am debating between 4 cable purchases for my k10s

1. Norne Audio Therium
2. Effect Audio Thor II+
3. Moon Audio Silver Dragon
4. DHC Silver Peptide 

Can anyone who has at least one or two of these cables speak as to how they improve the sound? Twister 6 did not really like the pairing of the Thor II+ with the K10s, preferring the stock SPC cable instead. Does Noble usually recommend upgrading the stock cable?

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #24,895 of 36,116

But what about your K10 and Katana? If you no longer have space for them, I could always store them for you. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #24,896 of 36,116

Your quote "I was schlepping around a Peli 1060 with the Encore, K10 and Katana as well as tips, a few cables and of course my Mojo. Decided to repack and keep the basics in a Peli 1020 instead:"

I use the 1060. I am not sure the 1020 would be just big enough for me, purely because I need the Mojo module for my iPhone and the fact I have a SW24 cable which needs a lot of room to coil up in. Pity I cannot see one somewhere just to compare what I need to carry in it. I may move down to a little smaller case though as I got the 1060 to make sure I can carry it all if required.
Like you though, I could do with a smaller case for EDC.

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #24,898 of 36,116
  I am debating between 4 cable purchases for my k10s

1. Norne Audio Therium
2. Effect Audio Thor II+
4. DHC Silver Peptide 

Can anyone who has at least one or two of these cables speak as to how they improve the sound? Twister 6 did not really like the pairing of the Thor II+ with the K10s, preferring the stock SPC cable instead. Does Noble usually recommend upgrading the stock cable?

Have you checked out Ted Allen's cables?   I've purchased 4 from him and am very happy.  I cannot speak to the others.

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #24,899 of 36,116
4. DHC Silver Peptide 

Can anyone who has at least one or two of these cables speak as to how they improve the sound?

I have DHC silver (in balanced termination) and Plussound silver+gold in SE, and used both on my Nobles.  Not apples to apples exactly, but I'm consistent in my source--a RWAK240+.  

DHC was a touch on the brighter side, ever so slight emphasis on the highs that on some recordings could become a touch fatiguing (e.g. older CD recordings and some DSDs, particularly a hotly-mastered sax or trumpet on a jazz recording), but only very rarely. The Plussound might be just a scintilla warmer, but otherwise brings the same improvement to the stock Noble cable: relatively minor. I have dropped a pretty penny to learn myself what others have been saying for years about cabling being the last thing, the incremental improvement, the icing on the cake. Don't get me wrong; I love my custom cables and would buy again without hesitation, but keep your expectations in check, especially if you've not beefed up the rest of your rig. Adding a Mojo to my rig did a lot more to enhance my enjoyment than cabling. 

I have a number of Moon Audio Silver Dragon connectors, interconnects and such, but no CIEM cabling. They're just fine, too, and you benefit from receiving them in weeks, not, ahem, years like some smaller cabling outfits.  

<looks lovingly at DHC>

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #24,900 of 36,116

I have DHC silver (in balanced termination) and Plussound silver+gold in SE, and used both on my Nobles.  Not apples to apples exactly, but I'm consistent in my source--a RWAK240+.  

DHC was a touch on the brighter side, ever so slight emphasis on the highs that on some recordings could become a touch fatiguing (e.g. older CD recordings and some DSDs, particularly a hotly-mastered sax or trumpet on a jazz recording), but only very rarely. The Plussound might be just a scintilla warmer, but otherwise brings the same improvement to the stock Noble cable: relatively minor. I have dropped a pretty penny to learn myself what others have been saying for years about cabling being the last thing, the incremental improvement, the icing on the cake. Don't get me wrong; I love my custom cables and would buy again without hesitation, but keep your expectations in check, especially if you've not beefed up the rest of your rig. Adding a Mojo to my rig did a lot more to enhance my enjoyment than cabling. 

I have a number of Moon Audio Silver Dragon connectors, interconnects and such, but no CIEM cabling. They're just fine, too, and you benefit from receiving them in weeks, not, ahem, years like some smaller cabling outfits.  

<looks lovingly at DHC>

Thank you for the great write-up. I was mostly asking to see if there was a discernable difference between spc and pure silver cables when it comes to the k10s.

I have plenty of upgrade cables but none of them sound different to me. at this point its more of a looks thing for me, which I am all for. I actually love the look of copper litz cables more than even my DHC silver cable. I just did not want to have to worry about changing the sound too much from stock.

I hear maybe a 2% change in sound quality between cables, but thats near enough to be called a placebo effect. I was just hoping that silver might up the k10's detail retrieval a bit more so that they'd be like baby encores hahaha

Looks like i might go with effect audio. They have a gorgeous custom in-house ysplit. Then again.. so does Norne.. hmm.. this is going to take some time. xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back