Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
May 17, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #20,116 of 36,115
Exactly.  I never had any problem with my K10 straight out of a DAP or Phone, but as soon as I amp it with my PDC XM6, it kicked so hard that it is almost uncomfortable for me.

I've been thinking about this. :) Why would listening to an external amp at the same volume as straight from a DAP make any difference?

May 17, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #20,117 of 36,115
I've been thinking about this.
smily_headphones1.gif
Why would listening to an external amp at the same volume as straight from a DAP make any difference?

If the external amp's frequency response is not flat, it may boost a particular part of the frequency response. For instance, it may boost treble and cause harshness in sound. 

May 17, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #20,118 of 36,115
  If the external amp's frequency response is not flat, it may boost a particular part of the frequency response. For instance, it may boost treble and cause harshness in sound. 

Exactly, and the K10 pretty much has a U shape respond to power.

May 17, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #20,119 of 36,115

Exactly, and the K10 pretty much has a U shape respond to power.

So an amp can change the sound signature. I thought that amps were designed to be flat and that it is not the job of an amp to alter the basic sound.
This may explain why I like the sound of my amp/DAC. I was surprised how much it alters the sound.
In this case it seems to me to roll off the treble and enhance the bass.
I'm actually not so keen on the treble roll off it I love the extra detail that I am getting in the bass.

May 17, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #20,121 of 36,115
This coming from you?! :)

I was wondering if I would get called on that! :wink: I very nearly posted a message culpa. I probably should have done.
In all my insistence that the iPhone was all that was needed I realised that I had never used anything that was not an Apple device.
I looked around the classifieds and came across the Onkyo HA200 Amp/DAC.
Having read the reviews it appealed to me because it is from a mainstream manufacturer rather than an audiophile boutique outfit.
As I expected it is far from neutral and definitely alters the sound of the iPhone.
I really wanted not to like it. Mainly because carting it around is a PITA but also it has forced me to reevaluate my ideas.
I felt that I had a bit of a position on here. Trying to stop people getting carried away with expensive gear.
Now I am not so sure.
It's not a nice feeling suddenly realising that I don't know what I am talking about!

May 17, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #20,122 of 36,115
I was wondering if I would get called on that! :wink: I very nearly posted a message culpa. I probably should have done.
In all my insistence that the iPhone was all that was needed I realised that I had never used anything that was not an Apple device.
Having read the reviews it appealed to me because it is from a mainstream manufacturer rather than an audiophile boutique outfit.
As I expected it is far from neutral and definitely alters the sound of the iPhone.
I really wanted not to like it. Mainly because carting it around is a PITA but also it has forced me to reevaluate my ideas.
I felt that I had a bit of a position on here. Trying to stop people getting carried away with expensive gear.
Now I am not so sure.
It's not a nice feeling suddenly realising that I don't know what I am talking about!

Welcome to the darkside. I was an O2 "all amps/dacs/daps sound the same" devotee until the K10 came into my life. I either had to believe my ears or not and, if my ears could not be trusted when they were telling me that these IEMs sounded different plugged into source A than source B, then what was the point of using my ears to listen to music in the first place.

May 17, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #20,123 of 36,115
Welcome to the darkside. I was an O2 "all amps/dacs/daps sound the same" devotee until the K10 came into my life. I either had to believe my ears or not and, if my ears could not be trusted when they were telling me that these IEMs sounded different plugged into source A than source B, then what was the point of using my ears to listen to music in the first place.

Did you get your Dulce yet? I am really curious to see if they are like I said they are.

May 17, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #20,124 of 36,115
Did you get your Dulce yet? I am really curious to see if they are like I said they are.

Nope. Still waiting. I requested an update on their status a week ago but I haven't heard anything back. I originally ordered them as a rush order but I was informed that due to some issues with parts shipments they couldn't get it to me within the rush order time frame. I was hoping it would only be a week or two past that but I think I've been waiting for 6 or 7 weeks now in total.

May 17, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #20,125 of 36,115
Now I am not so sure.

Well, there's nothing wrong with changing your mind. Earlier on, I too had hoped it was all placebo, if only to save some money! That being said, I think your initial position remains valid. Although amps/dacs can make improvements, one doesn't need to spend a fortune... the K10s still sound fantastic out of a humble iPhone.

May 17, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #20,126 of 36,115
I was wondering if I would get called on that!
wink.gif
I very nearly posted a message culpa. I probably should have done.
Now I am not so sure.

Coloration or a particular "house sound" can actually be a good thing.  
cool.gif

May 17, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #20,127 of 36,115
Question for the community: Does anyone who has the BTS ever exercise with it? I'm wondering how well it works in such an application. For instance, would it flip around if I were jogging or using an elliptical machine? Would the weight pull on my ears?

OR...

Is there any way I can lose some weight without having to exercise or diet?

May 17, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #20,128 of 36,115
Question for the community: Does anyone who has the BTS ever exercise with it? I'm wondering how well it works in such an application. For instance, would it flip around if I were jogging or using an elliptical machine? Would the weight pull on my ears?

OR...

Is there any way I can lose some weight without having to exercise or diet?

The built in clip on the BTS means that it won't flop around anywhere unless you exercise shirtless. Just clip it to a collar.

No, exercise and a proper diet (as in what you ingest, not a ridiculous restriction of food) are the only way to lose and maintain a proper weight. :wink_face:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back