No Highs No Lows Absolutely Must Be BOSE
Jul 1, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #17 of 27
You Guys are too funny.

Yes, I've owned others... None worth mentioning here though.

No, I don't work for them. But they sure do work for me.

I love my Etys!!!

Jim

Jul 1, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:
You Guys are too funny.
Yes, I've owned others... None worth mentioning here though.
No, I don't work for them. But they sure do work for me.
I love my Etys!!!
Jim

We clearly didn't know you loved your ety's.

Jul 1, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #19 of 27
Etymotic stuff is best in class like they say, they actually do their research unlike most other manufacturers. They're not perfect though, MC series needs air (treble bandwidth) and the BAs need to find a clever way to compensate for the missing 6db phenomenon, in other words increase bass perception without boosting it's bass. Other manufacturers just boost bass, but it compromises midrange clarity. Believe it or not increasing distortion may be a clever way or finding a way to boost only regions below 100hz. 

Jul 2, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #20 of 27
Bose, Better Sound Through Research

AKA actually do a little research and you'll find something that sounds better

Jul 2, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #21 of 27
I think I figured out what Bose is doing. By coloring the sound to that degree, they make crappy things sound ok. I'm talking sibilant, poorly mastered 128kb mp3. That also makes good things sound not so good. However, if I'm streaming video or anything with low quality audio, I reach for my Bose IE(v3) because other IEMs just reveal the flaws.

Note: I bought the Bose IE on a sale at about $40 which is a dead range here (Sweden) where prices are blown up by 30% or more compared to US prices. And none of our stores carry any of the phones mentioned here. And I didn't know anything about IEMs at that time. Just clearing my conscience and trying to point out I'm not a Bose-fanboy.

Jul 3, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:
We clearly didn't know you loved your ety's.

Yeah Jim, we had no idea that you loved your ety's. Just because you've managed to drop the Etymotic name into every recommendation post on this forum, that shouldn't mean that we would automatically assume you "love your ety's" 

We're not mind readers you know...

Jul 3, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:
Etymotic stuff is best in class like they say, they actually do their research unlike most other manufacturers. They're not perfect though, MC series needs air (treble bandwidth) and the BAs need to find a clever way to compensate for the missing 6db phenomenon, in other words increase bass perception without boosting it's bass. Other manufacturers just boost bass, but it compromises midrange clarity. Believe it or not increasing distortion may be a clever way or finding a way to boost only regions below 100hz. 

I would tend to disagree.  Not sure what you mean about Ety doing research while other companies don't.(??)  Most people don't care for Ety because their driver and housing designs only produce sound tones with zero tactile emphasis or weight to the presentation.  It's what makes the sound so sterile and un-natural.  Live music in a studio just doesn't sound that way.

Jul 3, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #26 of 27
I would tend to disagree.  Not sure what you mean about Ety doing research while other companies don't.(??)  Most people don't care for Ety because their driver and housing designs only produce sound tones with zero tactile emphasis or weight to the presentation.  It's what makes the sound so sterile and un-natural.  Live music in a studio just doesn't sound that way.

Studio Apartment... Maybe... LOLz

But, really come on now. They ARE one of the most accurate phones available.

Inserted properly, They ROCK.

Jim

PS Deep Insertion is not for everyone. So false bass boosting is all the rage.

Jul 3, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #27 of 27
Just thought I'd interject:
Some best buys sell mid-fi cans...
I went to one with the magnolia thing in it and listened to the akg k550s, sennheiser hd 580, and audio technica AD900 (The closed one, I'm pretty sure that's the model number.)
Also, the reason many audiophile companies don't market is simple: Price. They rely on word of mouth and awesome products. If they spent half of their profits on advertising, they would cost much much more than they do. Also, a lost of high end stuff is targeted to audio engineers, audiophiles are a very niche market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back