No College Degree + Looking for work?
Aug 12, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of the time it's who you know, not what you know. Most people at my work don't have a college education, and only about half graduated high school, and if you make under $100,000/year here, that's grounds to be made fun of. I'd say 90% of my coworkers got their jobs through someone they knew in the company, and several cannot read or write. It's pretty ass backwards. Today a guy who makes 120 grand a year asked me how to spell the words "rake", "pump" and "tape" in a 30 second span.

Comparing $170k/yr starting salary for doctors with $165k/yr for 1st year attorneys not including bonus, $120k is really nothing to brag about in today's dollar; the youngest age to achieve this is usually 28 for the doctor and just 25 for the 1st year associate; both professions have incredible earning potentials well into the 7-figure range. Education literally pays!

MBA from Wharton or Kellogg is equally valuable with potential offers in the $150k range for the recent graduates with no topping out in sight.

Aug 12, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #18 of 21
College grads usually earn more and have better jobs. Having said that, it is true that hard work ethics and connections go a long ways to take you there. If you are young, get an education while you work. is no fun, but I think it will pay off at the end. There are plenty of Universities out there who offer night or computer courses.

Aug 12, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #19 of 21
You don't need an education to be "happy". Nor do you need it for a good paying job. First, set your priorities, and go from there. I am extremely low maintenance, and could easily and happily live off of $25,000 a year. That's because a $20,000+ car doesn't make me happy, fancy clothes, fancy colognes, or anything "name brand" 'normally' associated with 'successful'. I am "happy" with money in money in the bank, money well invested in the stock market, and music. I am addicted to working hard now, so when I'm 30, I can retire.

Start your own business.. I've been self employed since I was 18. I have two business degrees, from online colleges, to supplement my "street smarts" 'aka' working experience. I just turned 21, and have been running a six-figure company for two years.. go figure.
L3000.gif

It's great being self employed, you should try it!

-Nick

Aug 12, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #20 of 21
You should consider the stress level associated with a job as well. It's pretty hard to enjoy life if you are highly stressed. Your well being should come first.

Aug 12, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of the time it's who you know, not what you know. Most people at my work don't have a college education, and only about half graduated high school, and if you make under $100,000/year here, that's grounds to be made fun of. I'd say 90% of my coworkers got their jobs through someone they knew in the company, and several cannot read or write. It's pretty ass backwards. Today a guy who makes 120 grand a year asked me how to spell the words "rake", "pump" and "tape" in a 30 second span.

Lol...awesome.

There are some people here that are making a KILLING...i.e. $600+ a day throwing plastic and reading hands. Some of them didn't graduate high school....the general average for most though is $300-450 a day...all depends on what table you get and how lucky you got. Kid dealt a jackpot and got a $3K tip....on top of what he made throughout the day.

Making that kind of money affords some people to work only 20-30 hours a week...which most do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back