No Budget Universals
Jan 22, 2014 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

GL1TCH3D

Headphoneus Supremus
I haven't had to post a recommendations thread in a while but here goes nothing.
I'm looking to go TOTL for IEMs.
I'm moving away from home audio since I simply don't listen to music much at home anymore and am always on the go.
I do not want to go through the trouble of CIEMs so this is currently limited to Universal IEMs.
I do not feel like getting headphones since I owned the T5p in the past and hated it, didn't like the ultrasone ed8 and those are basically the two TOTL portable headphones (I know there's the sig pro but I'm just not a fan of ultrasone sound sig)

So standard requests:
Good isolation (doesn't have to be perfect of course)
No set budget since I assume all production IEMs are under 1.5k
Removable cable is a huge benefit to me due to high shipping costs here in Canada making repairs annoying.

Past expeiences:
I dislike all beyerdynamic headphones
I dislike all grado and ultrasone headphones (never tried ps500)
I liked the W5000 when I tried them. Enjoyed the ESW11LTD when I owned them but felt they were lacking a bit in energy
Shure SE846 sounded nice in my 1 minute with them but seemed to hurt my ears a lot (not sure if it was due to tips or because it didn't fit my ear well, felt more like the latter)
The FAD FIBASS was disgustingly bad
My favorite headphones are probably the Stax SR007 on my friend's amp (can't really describe the amp and it's hard to pull a reference point)
Looking mainly for clear, sweet highs with warmish mids
Not too intimate
I'm not a bass head and do not enjoy pounding, thumping bass
I do listen to a variety of genres but classical pieces / instrumentals come out a lot
I do not want anything ovrly laid back like the LCD2/3
The Sennheiser HD800 was very good to my ears, if only it had a bit more musicality and intimacy

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 4
Simple answer the new JH Audio Sirene Roxanne the best universals availible. Have I heared them? No but i know the JH13 and other flagship customs quite well and a trusted friend whose taste i know quite well rates those above.

Jan 22, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 4
Simple answer the new JH Audio Sirene Roxanne the best universals availible. Have I heared them? No but i know the JH13 and other flagship customs quite well and a trusted friend whose taste i know quite well rates those above.

The Roxanne are definitely on the top of my list
I've heard good things about the jh13 FP and from what I heard the realism is unrivaled for universals which seems very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back