NITSCH x Schiit Pietus Maximus Release/Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #166 of 463
Oh yeah it could be that, maybe I should've got it without dac card. :joy:

Though honestly it's not bad but definitely warm. Like after coffee sit about 10 minutes then it's perfectly drinkable temperature.

I think even on 2nd day (today) it seems to sound a bit better..... I'll keep listening..... lol.

I think they're actually polar opposite LOL.

At the time I bought Concero HP for convenience (USB powered). But once I saw the announcement of PMax I was hoping it would be a direct upgrade from Piety, so that's when I ordered it. Though it's actually not the same sound signature...... more on that in the bottom.......

Otherwise between Concero HP and PMax.

- Concero HP USB powered, PMax has its own power cord.
- Concero HP is brighter and VERY airy sounding, treble forward presentation, PMax is slightly darker warmer smoother sounding.
- Concero HP pair better with darker headphone, while PMax pair better with brighter source / headphone.
- Concero HP has horrible digital volume knob, PMax has good analogue volume knob.
- Concero HP is dac/amp while PMax is amp only (optional dac card).
- Both has wayyy too much power for my headphone (TH900), but PMax has even more power if switched to high gain.

Uh something to keep in mind is that if you really loved the Piety, expect PMax to be different.

PMax is more neutral signature (compare to Piety). It's still warmer than most amps out there, but definitely less than Piety.

Say for example on a scale of 0 to 5.

0 being neutral 5 being like tube warm.

0 is like THX AAA
1 is probably like Magni
2 is probably like Asgard 3
3 is probably like PMax
4 is Piety
5 is probably what you'd expect from "tube sound"

This is slight generalization the values might be slightly off, but you get the idea LOL.
I wonder where Midgard positions itself on the “cool” to “warm” continuum? Midgard is warmer than my RME ADI-2.

Dec 21, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #167 of 463
Oh yeah it could be that, maybe I should've got it without dac card. :joy:

Though honestly it's not bad but definitely warm. Like after coffee sit about 10 minutes then it's perfectly drinkable temperature.

I think even on 2nd day (today) it seems to sound a bit better..... I'll keep listening..... lol.

I think they're actually polar opposite LOL.

At the time I bought Concero HP for convenience (USB powered). But once I saw the announcement of PMax I was hoping it would be a direct upgrade from Piety, so that's when I ordered it. Though it's actually not the same sound signature...... more on that in the bottom.......

- Concero HP is brighter and VERY airy sounding, treble forward presentation, PMax is slightly darker warmer smoother sounding.
- Concero HP pair better with darker headphone, while PMax pair better with brighter source / headphone.
- Concero HP has horrible digital volume knob, PMax has good analogue volume knob.
- Both has wayyy too much power for my headphone (TH900), but PMax has even more power if switched to high gain.

Uh something to keep in mind is that if you really loved the Piety, expect PMax to be different.

PMax is more neutral signature (compare to Piety). It's still warmer than most amps out there, but definitely less than Piety.

Say for example on a scale of 0 to 5.

0 being neutral 5 being like tube warm.

0 is like THX AAA
1 is probably like Magni
2 is probably like Asgard 3
3 is probably like PMax
4 is Piety
5 is probably what you'd expect from "tube sound"

This is slight generalization the values might be slightly off, but you get the idea LOL.
Nice breakdown. I never got the Piety and was pretty excited when I heard about this. I wasn't really looking to sidegrade from my magni+. Aside from not being a better Piety. Would you say its worth it? Sounds like it will definitely pair well with my grados based on your description. I was considering the pmax or the fiio k9 pro ess.

Dec 21, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #169 of 463
I vote external DAC! 👍
lol I think in a perfect world I'd say get external dac is better.

I just cheaped out to save some cost. But otherwise yeah that would be my recommendation.
I wonder where Midgard positions itself on the “cool” to “warm” continuum? Midgard is warmer than my RME ADI-2.
lol to be honest I'm not sure, but from educated guess and from what I read......... maybe between THX AAA and Magni Unity?

One review I read is that Magni Unity is more colored sounding.
Nice breakdown. I never got the Piety and was pretty excited when I heard about this. I wasn't really looking to sidegrade from my magni+. Aside from not being a better Piety. Would you say its worth it? Sounds like it will definitely pair well with my grados based on your description. I was considering the pmax or the fiio k9 pro ess.
Something to keep in mind is that from what Jason's explanation is that Magni+ volume pot has slower taper. While the Piety volume pot has faster taper (their old style).

What this means is that Magni+ has more usable volume range for easy to drive headphones, while Piety volume pot works better for hard to drive to headphone.

This translates to LOUD when using TH900 LOL, probably the same on Grado. Otherwise sounds good just LOUD.

So I don't recommend Piety for Grado. PMax they addressed the issue with volume so in terms of volume it's great. But PMax in general sounds smooth and smooth treble.

I've only had it for 2 days so I can't put my handle on it yet, but it feels a bit like listening to something very edgy and exciting like TH900 or Grado but then tame it down smoothly. It's like buy the beefiest angriest muscle car but drive very slow and quietly. I'm still not too sure how I feel about this yet....... very confused........ 😵‍💫

As it stands I'm still not too sure if I would recommend PMax for TH900 or Grado, my suspicion is that it pair better with 300 ohm headphones such as HD800S or ZMF headphones... though I don't have those headphones so I can't tell you if this is correct or not. 😆

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #170 of 463
Thanks for the input. And that makes a ton of sense. Sounds like this amp is probably better for something like the 6xx than the rs1x. I really appreciate the help. Guess Fiio it is for me.

Dec 21, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #171 of 463
lol I think in a perfect world I'd say get external dac is better.

I just cheaped out to save some cost. But otherwise yeah that would be my recommendation.

lol to be honest I'm not sure, but from educated guess and from what I read......... maybe between THX AAA and Magni Unity?

One review I read is that Magni Unity is more colored sounding.

Something to keep in mind is that from what Jason's explanation is that Magni+ volume pot has slower taper. While the Piety volume pot has faster taper (their old style).

What this means is that Magni+ has more usable volume range for easy to drive headphones, while Piety volume pot works better for hard to drive to headphone.

This translates to LOUD when using TH900 LOL, probably the same on Grado. Otherwise sounds good just LOUD.

So I don't recommend Piety for Grado. PMax they addressed the issue with volume so in terms of volume it's great. But PMax in general sounds smooth and smooth treble.

I've only had it for 2 days so I can't put my handle on it yet, but it feels a bit like listening to something very edgy and exciting like TH900 or Grado but then tame it down smoothly. It's like buy the beefiest angriest muscle car but drive very slow and quietly. I'm still not too sure how I feel about this yet....... very confused........ 😵‍💫

As it stands I'm still not too sure if I would recommend PMax for TH900 or Grado, my suspicion is that it pair better with 300 ohm headphones such as HD800S or ZMF headphones... though I don't have those headphones so I can't tell you if this is correct or not. 😆
I strongly recommend the Piety for my SR60, SR80, SR325x, RS1e, RS1x, GS3000x. Just my thoughts, ymmv of course. :beerchug:

Dec 21, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #172 of 463

thanks a lot for your reply sir. :)

Dec 22, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #174 of 463
Sounds great with my 8 ohm Verum 1 mk2 and 32 ohm Nectarsound Ambrosia.

Dec 22, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #175 of 463
Maybe I should think it over some then. Whatever decision I make, thanks for the input guys. Wasn't expecting so many responses tbh.

Dec 22, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #176 of 463
Verum 1s were the headphones I regretted selling the most, perfect timbre imo. They probably go crazy with Pietus.

Dec 22, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #177 of 463
I strongly recommend the Piety for my SR60, SR80, SR325x, RS1e, RS1x, GS3000x. Just my thoughts, ymmv of course. :beerchug:
For Piety I think it works as long you have a pre-amp to lower the volume or if you're ok with listening loud LOL.

Maybe I typically listen at low volume.
FWIW, the Piety was a little meh for me, but somehow I am really enjoying the Pietus with my Grado.
lol gotcha, then maybe it might just attribute to me not used to the new sound signature yet.

@Guts390 did order your thing yet? I'm assuming you're trying to find a high end ish dac/amp combo to go with your Grado right?

It sounds like other people are still enjoying Piety / PMax with Grado.

EDIT: Ah cool sounds like you haven't go it yet. Yes don't let my words sway you LOL. I only had it for 2 days (today is 3rd day), I'll report back after 1-2 weeks.

Dec 22, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #178 of 463
Out of curiosity, out of everyone who actually got a physically unit in hand.

What dac are you guys using?

EDIT: Also what gain settings are you guys using? Even though my headphone is sensitive, but I find using high gain + turn volume down feels clearer than low gain + volume up.

At least the volume knob doesn't have channel imbalance at all at any volume.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #179 of 463
Out of curiosity, out of everyone who actually got a physically unit in hand.

What dac are you guys using?
RME and MMB2. I think I prefer the RME on PMax tho due to the better treble, but I haven't spent too much time with MMB2 hooked up to it.

Dec 22, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #180 of 463
For Piety I think it works as long you have a pre-amp to lower the volume or if you're ok with listening loud LOL.

Maybe I typically listen at low volume.

lol gotcha, then maybe it might just attribute to me not used to the new sound signature yet.

@Guts390 did order your thing yet? I'm assuming you're trying to find a high end ish dac/amp combo to go with your Grado right?

It sounds like other people are still enjoying Piety / PMax with Grado.

EDIT: Ah cool sounds like you haven't go it yet. Yes don't let my words sway you LOL. I only had it for 2 days (today is 3rd day), I'll report back after 1-2 weeks.
Haha. Thanks anyways tho. But ya, I'll take everyone's input into consideration. I haven't bought it yet, but probably soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back