Nintendo Wii First Impressions
Nov 19, 2006 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 169

toastmaster

100+ Head-Fier
Just got back from camping out overnight at Best Buy.

Creamy mids and deep bass. Should extend with burn in. :p

Kidding. I gotta sleep for now but the 15 mins of Wii Sports I played were awesome fun.

Nov 19, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 169
http://www.smashmywii.com should be updated soon
biggrin.gif

Check out http://www.smashmyps3.com Pretty hilarious
tongue.gif
Well the video here.

Nov 19, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 169
Congrats on your purchase, let us know more when you get a chance!

I'm not a big gaming fan, but of the three new consoles I'd probably go for the wii (if for nothing else, Zelda!!!, one of the only games I ever really liked).

I'm curious: why did you (or anyone else) pick the wii (or the ps3 or the 360) over the others?

--Chris

Nov 19, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 169
We're looking at the wii for our about-to-be 5 year old's first real gaming device. Ok, it would be for me, too
wink.gif
. Any opinions on its suitability for a youngster?

Nov 19, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #5 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We're looking at the wii for our about-to-be 5 year old's first real gaming device. Ok, it would be for me, too
wink.gif

Nintendo all the way!

Nov 19, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by brn80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.smashmywii.com should be updated soon
biggrin.gif

Check out http://www.smashmyps3.com Pretty hilarious
tongue.gif
Well the video here.

from the brainchild that brought you Smash my iPod, and Smash my 360....

yea, they're a real piece of work...
rolleyes.gif

in any case, i can see me picking up a Wii next year...SSB: Brawl =
cool.gif

Nov 19, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Actually, the Wii is supposed to be a console for all age groups.
Personally, that fact actually worries me. Different age groups like different games obviously. I feel that this console may be truly aimed at younger kids, however we'll have to see what games actually do come out for the console. I feel that lately Nintendo has been aiming more towards the younger age group.

Nov 19, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #8 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by camille /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from the brainchild that brought you Smash my iPod, and Smash my 360....

yea, they're a real piece of work...
rolleyes.gif

dumb.. yes.. but the looks on the faces of fanbois waiting in line is classic
icon10.gif

Retardedness aside, Wii all the way.. games on the PS3 will take almost a year or more to mature and take full advantage of it's capabilities. The Wii is just fun, not to mention is more price friendly.

Nov 19, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #9 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, that fact actually worries me. Different age groups like different games obviously. I feel that this console may be truly aimed at younger kids, however we'll have to see what games actually do come out for the console. I feel that lately Nintendo has been aiming more towards the younger age group.

Yes, I agree. Its aimed at kids first for sure. Then its aimed for the people or kids, or teens, who have more or less given up on games, due to the 360, ps2 etc. Then its aimed at people, just to have fun, and last would be, the 16-25 demo, who own a 4 GHZ cpu, or have all consoles, and play GTA, etc.

I myself have given up on games. I dont play them, BUT I would buy this, simply because it looks nice on a desk, and its "fun". I wouldnt mind killing 30 minutes, throwing around a stick, as if its a golf club or tennis racket, or a knife. Where as, buying a 360 or a Ps3, dosn't interest me, for games, due to I have a PC, nor do I enjoy gaming anymore

Nov 19, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 169
I gave up on all games asides from Nintendo consoles because I don't have the time and effort to invest in a continuous storyline-based game. The only exception to this is the new Zelda game Twilight Princess because it's so much like Ocarina of Time and I loved that game.
smily_headphones1.gif

I would never think of getting a PS3 or an XBox 360 just because of the price and the lack of games that I can bum around with my roommates and play. The reasons I got a Wii were:

1) Backwards compatible with Gamecube. This means I can start off by already being able to play all my games (plus Zelda).

2) Nintendo's strict price capping. Because $700 CDN could be spent on an RS-1.
rs1smile.gif

3) The downloadability of old N64, SNES, and NES games.

I wasn't in a rush to pick one up, but I waited around all night because a buddy of mine needed to get one today. He had planned to shoot a news segment for his TV broadcasting course around the Wii launch, and if he didn't get one he'd need to rewrite and re-plot a new segment. After the 13 hours in +- 0 C weather (at one point it was snowing) I decided I owed it to myself.

Nov 19, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #11 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The launch titles appeal to a pretty wide range. Trying to get used to the Wiimote might be a bit of a stumbling block for young kids (as it was hard enough for a couple of 20 year olds this morning) but I can't wait to see how developers use the new approach to their advantage.

Nov 19, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #12 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopShelf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I myself have given up on games. I dont play them, BUT I would buy this, simply because it looks nice on a desk, and its "fun". I wouldnt mind killing 30 minutes, throwing around a stick, as if its a golf club or tennis racket, or a knife. Where as, buying a 360 or a Ps3, dosn't interest me, for games, due to I have a PC, nor do I enjoy gaming anymore

I have the same feeling. I'm not a gamer and would never consider buying the 360 or PS3, but the Wii is intriguing. It just seems like a fun concept. It gets away from the "pounding away on a handheld keypad staring at the TV" video game concept, which I'm way too old for. Also, the inexpensive cost makes it an option for people who just want to have fun, not make a huge investment in a hobby.

I think the Wii will be a hit with both younger players and older, casual players. The 360 and PS3 appeal to a different group, mainly people in the 14-30 age bracket with a lot of free time.

Nov 19, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #14 of 169
I have pretty much grown out of video games as well. I kept my gamecube cause its cheap and satisfied my infrequent gaming needs. I used to own a DS, which was very cool, but after playing a few games, I didn't use it much and sold it. I just sold my 360 after it sat untouched for 6 months. The Wii is so unique that I am going to buy one when it becomes more available. It may end up like the other systems, but as cheap and innovative as it is it's worth a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back