Ninja Tunes
Jan 11, 2006 at 7:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

PixelSquish

Previously known as idiotekniques
any other Ninja Tunes fans here?

as an indie label founded by coldcut they have been puttin out great stuff for so long. i havent been keepin up as much with their newer releases, but their releases from 10 years ago really hooked me up with sick, layered, and intelligent trip-hop breakbeat stuff.

this thread is for ninja tunes respect!

Jan 11, 2006 at 8:43 AM Post #3 of 14
I like their more jazzy outings:

Jaga Jazzist: The Stix, A Living Room Hush
Skalpel: Konfusion
Rainstick Orchestra:The Floating Glass Key in the Sky
The Cinematic Orchestra: Man With the Movie Camera

NT's other releases are probably also worth exploring

Jan 11, 2006 at 9:06 AM Post #4 of 14
i have the jaga jazzist and the cinematic orchestra. very good. ill have to check out those other two.

you may like some of the up, bustle, & out stuff. sometimes it gets a bit too latin for me but most all of it is very good.

Jan 11, 2006 at 10:49 AM Post #6 of 14
Ninja Tune are a great label, I've got quite a few albums.

And to TMHBAT: how about checking 'Cold Krush Cuts' and Journeys By DJ: 70Minutes of Madness', the former more trip-hop and the latter more breakbeat.

Hope that helps

Jan 11, 2006 at 11:39 AM Post #7 of 14
Journeys By DJ: 70Minutes of Madness is one of my favorite mix albums of all time. I just can't tire of listening to it!

Ninja Tune is a great label!

Jan 11, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 14
I'm a big Amon Tobin fan. DJ Food is good too.

Jan 11, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMHBAT
An Amon Tobin fan, anyway. What do you suggest for "sick, layered, and intelligent trip-hop breakbeat stuff"?

Cold-Cut-Outs
Coldcut

Ninja Cuts Funkungfusion
Various Artists

Light 'em Up, Blow 'em Out
Up, Bustle and Out

ColdKrushCuts - Mixed by Coldcut/DJ Food + DJ Krush
Various Artists

Xen Cuts Missed Flipped and Skipped
Various Artists

Ninja Cuts Flexistentialism
Various Artists

Ninja Cuts Funkjazztical Tricknology
Various Artists

Flesh Eating Disco Zombies Vs. The Bionic Hookers From Mars
London Funk Allstars

Journeys by DJ - 70 minutes of madness mix CD
Coldcut

Jan 11, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #10 of 14
Amon Tobin rules.
basshead.gif
You can always rely on ninja tune for some quality trip-hop/electronica.

Jan 13, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #11 of 14
I'm a big Ninja Tune fan. Just about anything on NT suits my style. However, Blockhead is my favorite. I've become a bit of a fanboy of blockhead even...
mad.gif
icon10.gif

This is a really good release if you like alot of Ninja Tune artists: http://www.discogs.com/release/49133

I picked it up awhile ago at BestBuy of all places for 15 bucks, I wasnt big into Ninja Tune at that point. But for 15 I had to give it a try. (it's 3 cds) And there turned out to be alot of dope work on it.

Jan 13, 2006 at 9:07 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanscience
I'm a big Ninja Tune fan. Just about anything on NT suits my style. However, Blockhead is my favorite. I've become a bit of a fanboy of blockhead even...
mad.gif
icon10.gif

This is a really good release if you like alot of Ninja Tune artists: http://www.discogs.com/release/49133

I picked it up awhile ago at BestBuy of all places for 15 bucks, I wasnt big into Ninja Tune at that point. But for 15 I had to give it a try. (it's 3 cds) And there turned out to be alot of dope work on it.

blockhead is sick. i forgot to mention them. at least the one album i have Music by Cavelight.

Jan 13, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #13 of 14
The Xen Cuts compilation is a great introduction to all things Ninja Tune.

And despite the £18 I paid for it, 3 CDs is a bargain! Highly recommmended

Finally Coldcut's first proper album in 9 years comes at the end of the month

Jan 20, 2006 at 10:13 AM Post #14 of 14
I'm a huge Ninjatune fan. I enjoy Coldcut, Mr. Scruff, Herbaliser, any Solid Steel mixes, Cinematic Orchestra, DJ Food, more recently Bonobo and Blockhead. I'd highly recommend picking up the the Ninjatune DVD compilation too. Anyone suggest any other Ninjatune artists (or artists that are along the lines of Ninjatune)?

Edit: forgot to mention Amon Tobin, Roots Manuva, and Kid Koala too.
Heard some of the latest Coldcut songs and they sound great (Can by found on Coldcut's myspace page). Personally dig "Man in a Garage" right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back