NIN
Sep 29, 2008 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Usagi

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm probably a little late on the scene with this but I just stumbled across Nine Inch Nails' latest release called "Ghosts I-IV". I was impressed with their ambient style approach and choice of instruments on a number of their tracks.

This release comprises of around 32 tracks. What's more impressive is that they're giving away the first nine for free. Here is a link to the album.

Link
Image:Ghosts_i-iv.jpg

nin_ghosts.jpg

Oct 2, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 20
And Year Zero Part 2 is on the way...

Oct 2, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 20
Just bought a copy of Ghosts I-IV. Its my first NIN album. I had heard that its 2 hours of dark ambient instrumental.
Been listening to it for the past 1 hour, and I am very impressed to say the least.
Need to check out some more NIN, especially the Downward Spiral and Fragile.
Which do you guys think would be the next album to get now that I like Ghosts?

Oct 2, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #6 of 20
Yeah, its a pretty nice album...

Oct 2, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And Year Zero Part 2 is on the way...

Can you provide some substance to this comment? Would be awesome to know it's on the way - kinda wondered if it hadn't been a little forgotten with all the recent goings on...

Oct 2, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #8 of 20
trent reznor makes great music. as long as he doesn't sing.

Oct 2, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #9 of 20
I'm a big fan myself. The fact that they can release music faster now, and the optional flac download for $5 makes them even better. God bless you Trent. I hope other artists follow suit.

Oh, also check out Year Zero Remixed.

Oct 2, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by RationalGaze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just bought a copy of Ghosts I-IV. Its my first NIN album. I had heard that its 2 hours of dark ambient instrumental.
Been listening to it for the past 1 hour, and I am very impressed to say the least.

The downward spiral might be a huge leap. I suggest getting The fragile first. I think it is most similar to ghosts. You might also like the soundtrack trent made for quake. It is much darker ambient than ghosts, but good stuff. Quite hard to find though....

@OP I think ghosts is one of his best recent efforts, much better than the slip or year zero.

Oct 3, 2008 at 8:30 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

OMG, you have a huge christmas present waiting for you in The Downward Spiral & The Fragile.
cool.gif

The Downward Spiral is one of my top favorite albums of all time.. the songs, the production, everything. It's nothing short of a masterpiece. The Fragile is also very good, though not as consistenly brilliant as The Downward Spiral.
If you decide to check em out, remember to give em time. It's not exactly your standard rock n' roll record, it takes a few listens.
But judging from your nick (you're referring to the Meshuggah track, right..?) I guess you're no stranger to a bit more "un-easy" listening.

Oct 3, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@OP I think ghosts is one of his best recent efforts, much better than the slip or year zero.

I agree 100%. Both Year Zero and especially The Slip were huge disappointments. Ghosts is the only album of the 3 mentioned I actually listen to. NIN now are a light version of what they/he used to be. The great songwriting, the magnificent production, the brilliant twists n' turns within songs.. all gone. What's left is boring industrial pop.

Oct 3, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The downward spiral might be a huge leap. I suggest getting The fragile first. I think it is most similar to ghosts. You might also like the soundtrack trent made for quake. It is much darker ambient than ghosts, but good stuff. Quite hard to find though....

Looks like I will be heading to the store to pick both The Fragile and The Downward Spiral.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG, you have a huge christmas present waiting for you in The Downward Spiral & The Fragile.
cool.gif

The Downward Spiral is one of my top favorite albums of all time.. the songs, the production, everything. It's nothing short of a masterpiece. The Fragile is also very good, though not as consistenly brilliant as The Downward Spiral.
If you decide to check em out, remember to give em time. It's not exactly your standard rock n' roll record, it takes a few listens.
But judging from your nick (you're referring to the Meshuggah track, right..?) I guess you're no stranger to a bit more "un-easy" listening.

Yeah my nick is the Meshuggah song from Nothing. I do have a lot of patience when it comes to music. And I do think from your description and others before, the two NIN albums seem right up my alley.

Thanks for your replies Ttvetjanu and Wovenhand.

Oct 5, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

The Downward Spiral is a great starting place, then on to The Fragile.
Be forewarned; TDS is NOTHING like Ghosts. It is a dark, depressing industrial masterpiece-hence the title...

I wish I could erase those two albums from memory and listen to them all over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back