NIN "Waving Goodbye"
Jul 29, 2009 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mrjoe815

Head-Fier
I saw the post below talking about NIN's last world tour, for anyone who is wondering or wants to look it up, it is called "Waving Goodbye" I think...not sure though, cheers

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 16
They weren't waving. They were drowning.

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 16
Sucks they aren't coming to Maine for this goodbye tour. I missed them on the previous goodbye tour(NIN/JA). Seen em twice though, two of the best concerts ever! Everyone should go see them before they stop touring.

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 16
Who knows for sure.

I caught a NINJA show (third row, CENTER) on May 31.

I'll be catching them for a full-length show in Chicago on August 28th.

I'm a fairly new NIN fan, actually... but I'm loving it.

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now is this a "we're done for good" tour or a "we'll be back, but it'll be a while" tour?

If the former, I don't believe it for a second.

Me either. The Who have been doing this for what, 30 years? It's incredibly lame. I expect this from a couple of geriatric wankers like Daltrey and Townshend, but I wouldn't have expected it from Trent Reznor.

I'm quessing he will wait three to five years and trot out the NIN brand again, as an oldies act. I'm trying really hard not to gag.

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #7 of 16
C'mon, its simple.
He's taking some time off so he can get back into using drugs so he can make good records again.

(let the flaming begin
biggrin.gif
)

Jul 30, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Now is this a "we're done for good" tour or a "we'll be back, but it'll be a while" tour?

If the former, I don't believe it for a second.

It is a "we'll be back, but it'll be a while" tour. Trent has been making music and touring like nonstop for along time. He is just tired. Can't do it for awhile. Trent will still be making music, they just wont be touring for a few years. Not sure if music will be released online or if he is going to be releasing new albums or not. But we will still be getting new music! Just no tour.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
C'mon, its simple.
He's taking some time off so he can get back into using drugs so he can make good records again.

(let the flaming begin
biggrin.gif
)

New records aren't bad, but I guess it was better when he was on drugs. Especially The Fragile! lol

Jul 30, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #9 of 16
He's getting married, besides he's been over drugs for ages, so he's very unlikely to be doing them again. Sorry to let you down
tongue.gif
(Not to mention as he's older I doubt he'll output the same kind of music as those days whether he's on drugs or not).

And personally I feel Year Zero is his best work. Whether I listen to songs from The Fragile or The Downward Spiral more, he really thought out that album, not to forget the ARG that accompanies it, and as such follows a theme better than any of his other albums could hope to.

As for the tour, since 2005 he's hardly stopped. He never said that this will be the last time absolutely ever, but he wants a break. I expect we'll see him back in 3-5 years after he's made some more music.

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulb09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And personally I feel Year Zero is his best work. Whether I listen to songs from The Fragile or The Downward Spiral more, he really thought out that album, not to forget the ARG that accompanies it, and as such follows a theme better than any of his other albums could hope to.

Just curious, but was 'Year Zero' the first album you heard/got into?
For me, 'Year Zero' is the second worst NIN disc. 'The Slip' takes the grand prize.
I am a _huuu-uge_ NIN fan, but I think the quality of his output has been going downhill since 'With Teeth' (with the exception of 'Ghosts I-IV').

Jul 30, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #12 of 16
Nope, With Teeth was the first. I just think the whole concept behind Year Zero is more in depth than anything else he's done, and when I listen to the album I never think "oh that song's so rubbish I want to skip it", even if I have my favourites. I agree with The Slip, but for me it's more the poor sound quality than the material, because I like the live rehearsals that were released on the Internet and with the DVD that comes with the physical package. Then again it's not like With Teeth or Year Zero were amazing in regards to sound quality... they seem to lack a little edge and impact, probably as a result of being compressed more than previous work. I was just expecting once he was freed of a record label that The Slip would sound really good, but the balance is all odd for NIN material, and it also lacks that edge. Ghosts I-IV, however, sounded pretty good overall, though some tracks don't seem quite as clear as you might expect them to be.

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulb09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He's getting married,.

I did not know that. Who's the lucky, I guess
tongue.gif
, gal?

I thought YZ was great too, but we seem to be among the minority of NIN fans. For me, the concept really, I mean really helped his song writing. TDS will always be tops for me though. I'd probably put PHM second for nostalgia reasons more than anything.

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #14 of 16
Concept and that whole thing comes in third for me after song writing & production. I just think TDS and The Fragile blow Year Zero out of the water. TDS is just a masterpiece when it comes to production and innovation.
The material itself is tops and it has tons of twists and turns in terms of production. Stuff that really surprises you the first time around and now, after thousands and thousands of listens help keep the album interesting and fresh.
And it's so dynamic and full of contrasts. No two songs sound alike, not in terms of song writing or production.
I realise now when I am writing this just how brilliant that album is.
The Fragile too, to some extent. But TDS reigns supreme.
With Year Zero & The Slip I just feel he's not really trying to push himself anymore.. TDS & The Fragile is brimming with vision and enthusiasm.. YZ / The Slip, not so much, hehe.

Buuuuut anyway, to each is own and everybody has different tastes, etc etc.
smile.gif

Jul 30, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #15 of 16
You're right, out of all of his albums every song has the most individuality. Whilst my favourite songs come from The Fragile era, the album itself is a little sporadic, but for the most part still somehow works like that. I just find he put a lot of thought into Year Zero, and I like the music that came out of it quite a lot, so I feel it's his most creative work as an overall package, though I would agree that purely musically TDS is the most creative. But as I said, Year Zero is by no means my most listened album, though a few of the songs on it are very much favourites of mine.

Quote:

I did not know that. Who's the lucky, I guess
tongue.gif
, gal?

I thought YZ was great too, but we seem to be among the minority of NIN fans. For me, the concept really, I mean really helped his song writing. TDS will always be tops for me though. I'd probably put PHM second for nostalgia reasons more than anything.

Mariqueen Maandig.

It's funny, because I know a lot of people who just don't like PHM as an album much due to its sound of the era, and would like it to be remastered more faithfully to the current day, but I much prefer it sounding as it does. You have to like some of the live representations from the ablum though, such as Terrible Lie
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back