Nik's New Angstrom Research Amp (warning: pics)
Jul 10, 2003 at 4:08 AM Post #16 of 130
Boy, I wonder if the lights in Nik's city dim a bit when his new amp is switch to ON. Congrats! One BIG reason to go to Italy for a vacation!!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2003 at 4:11 AM Post #17 of 130
Quote:

Originally posted by CD44hi
Boy, I wonder if the lights in Nik's city dim a bit when his new amp is switch to ON. Congrats! One BIG reason to go to Italy for a vacation!!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

He probably bought his own power plant just for this amp.
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2003 at 6:43 AM Post #20 of 130
Hi guys,

the Designer had added some capacitors in the amp unit that are not in the pictures because the very first images, (you can see in the next photos...) the capacitors are very rare Western Electric.

Tomorrow evening I'll receive the amp personally delivered by Mr. Garlaschi (designer) and then I'll tell you all about the sound, specs, construction.

As you can see in the last photo even the toroidal transformers is customized by Angstrom Research... (!!!).

About the Penny & Giles potentiometer: this model is very rare to find identical.

Let me tell that I never seen a object like this just for a cans...

Best to all!
Nicola

Jul 10, 2003 at 6:46 AM Post #21 of 130
I think we'd like to see the specs now that we've seen the hardware.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2003 at 9:54 AM Post #24 of 130
Hi Nik,

Cool pictures ( little too big for a 15' monitor!). Hey lets do some controversy ( you know me !)

It's not too BIG the power supply for driving 2 tiny 6C45, I mean is it not like feeding a cat with elephant diet ?

There's a single main transformer for both channel ? Maybe you should have ask a dual power supply...an Angstrom 3 box !!. ( well it's gonna be your next amp !).

Regards.

Jul 10, 2003 at 11:15 AM Post #25 of 130
Holy crap, you guys can't be serious....
I guess I can accept that maybe a dedicated amp might be somewhat usefull for driving headphones but this...
eek.gif

I'm almost afraid to ask what people around here use for killing mosquitos. Tactical nukes anybody?
biggrin.gif

Whatever, Nik, I wish you all the best with this mighty machine.

Jul 10, 2003 at 11:15 AM Post #26 of 130
Hi again,

for the moment I can stay with "only" two box, but thank you for your suggest... next step, may be a 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or even more box...

Best!
Nicola

PS:
But the Manley 300B preamp has just one box, one power transformers and even one happy owner...

Jul 10, 2003 at 3:53 PM Post #27 of 130
eek.gif
What an amp!

There can't be any headphones in the world that can do it justice. I think you should find a surgeon who can wire the leads directly into your ears-- using Cardas or StefanArt cables of course.
wink.gif

Seriously, are you going to have someone modify or build you a SOTA pair of phones custom for this amp? If not, perhaps you should?

That thing really looks like fun...

Good Luck!

gb

Jul 10, 2003 at 4:08 PM Post #28 of 130
Hey gbeard,

I'm arrived here (after 10 amps!!!) looking for a very hi-end amp for my SONY MDR R10, and I think that this amp will do justice to my headphone!

I think that now even the prices are proportioned: for a 4000$ haedphones a 15000$ amp!

Best!
Nicola

Jul 10, 2003 at 4:28 PM Post #29 of 130
Nik,

You are right of course. I hadn't really thought of it that way. My speaker to preamp/amp ratio isn't really that much different (well ok, maybe a little different
rolleyes.gif
).

I am new to this whole idea of hi-end headphones and them being the primary listening method. I am having an amp built for me right now--obviously NOT an Angstrom--but I am looking forward to hearing how good entry level headphone gear can sound.

I certainly hope to hear the R10's some day. Maybe when I come to Italy for vacation...
wink.gif

Cheers and enjoy!
gb

Jul 11, 2003 at 5:16 PM Post #30 of 130
Quote:

Originally posted by Uncledan
how many tubes in this amp??? 8? 12??

oh god....
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

18 in the power supply and two in the amp unit... I think are enought!!!

Best
Nicola

Users who are viewing this thread

Back