Nikon D80 or Canon rebel XTI?
Nov 21, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #31 of 41
Go to a local Ritz and pick 'em both. I was told the other day by the rep in my local RC you could buy any DSLR and return it by Jan 5 for a full refund and "no questions asked". Check it out.

Nov 21, 2006 at 9:39 AM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xakepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go to a local Ritz and pick 'em both. I was told the other day by the rep in my local RC you could buy any DSLR and return it by Jan 5 for a full refund and "no questions asked". Check it out.

And take advantage one of these nice deals...
ritz04.jpg

Nov 21, 2006 at 10:29 AM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean FD mount, Jeeeeeez man, I haven't seen a store that sell new FD lenses for about a decade ! I used to shoot film (Elan 7) and that was like 6 years ago when i got my camera, even people back then wouldn't get a FD mount camera. The EOS range has been out for a long time, and all EOS lenses will work with any New Canon Digital bodies.

If the OP is getting a new camera and have lot of old Nikon glass in the loft then I would see your point. But if he is getting a new camera from scratch instead of having afrom scratch then the fact that the Canon only accept EF & EF-S makes absolutely no difference what so ever.

For that matter you can buy a FD to EOS mount as well...

Or an EOS mount to FD if you fancy
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2006 at 10:33 AM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ellover009 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats the size of the viewfinder of the 30D compared to the D80. I have tried them both, handled both, and honestly the 30D feels better, but I am not that sold on the LCD, the D80 I think has a bigger viewfinder, the LCD is gorgeus even if theyr same sized. I ask about size because I wear glasses and I need something that accommodates my glasses better, I tried the D80 yesterday, but last time I picked up a 30D was 4months ago. I have not adapted to neither of the brands so I don't have the bad havit of being sold on one way to do things, I am still able to train and adapt to a system unit.

Is it just an issue to see the LCD then?

If it were me I'd go with the 30D. I've had a Rebel XT for quite a while and been happy with it. Just wish it's viewfinder was bigger...

Nov 21, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where'd you get the lens? I've cant seem to luck into one.

Was on a waiting list at my local camera store for the 18-200VR since June. They are getting them in more regularly now they told me

Nov 21, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For that matter you can buy a FD to EOS mount as well...

Or an EOS mount to FD if you fancy
biggrin.gif

The FD to EF (EOS) mount adapters you find on Ebay are cheaply made junk. Due to the flange focal distance of the Canon mounts, there has to be optics in the adapter. And the optics aren't very good in the el-cheapo adapters.

Canon did make an adapter early on when they went ot the EF mount, but it was only available to pros (Canon Professional Services members.) Today they are scarce and expensive, and I don't think they work with all FD lenses.

You can, however, by a Nikon to Canon adapter that will allow you to put Nikon glass on your Canon camera. I don't think there are any optics involved, either. Nikon lenses have a longer flange focal distance, so they're easier to adapt.

Nov 21, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ouch, that'd be a deal breaker for me right there. I've already run into situations where the .95 crop has cause me to have to adjust the composition of a few shots, I can't imagine what it would be like working with .85. It's really a shame they would handicap the viewfinder like that.

Actually the viewfinder crops are 95% for both (and most cameras), I was referring to the magnification; the D80s view is much larger than the Rebel's. Perhaps this isn't as major of a selling point, but it's nice to have.

Nov 21, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it just an issue to see the LCD then?

i hardly turn the LCD on.

* shoot in raw
* debrief on your 20" LCD at home
* adjust the RAW settings in Nikon Capture NX (a really must-have software => sooo incredible !)

it should not influence the buying decision.

Nov 21, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The FD to EF (EOS) mount adapters you find on Ebay are cheaply made junk. Due to the flange focal distance of the Canon mounts, there has to be optics in the adapter. And the optics aren't very good in the el-cheapo adapters.

Canon did make an adapter early on when they went ot the EF mount, but it was only available to pros (Canon Professional Services members.) Today they are scarce and expensive, and I don't think they work with all FD lenses.

You can, however, by a Nikon to Canon adapter that will allow you to put Nikon glass on your Canon camera. I don't think there are any optics involved, either. Nikon lenses have a longer flange focal distance, so they're easier to adapt.

That's a good thing to know. That's where I saw the mount.

Nov 21, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #40 of 41
In case anyone is looking out for a good deal on the 30D:
30D (body only) - $1399.95 - 15% = $1189.96 - another 15% = $1011.47
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A0624042

Dell is an authorized retailer for Canon. The $100 Canon mail-in-rebate brings it to $901.47 before tax (tax will be taken from the original price). If you live in a state with no sales tax I'm green with envy, but even with sales tax, in most states, this will be a good deal. Beats B&H, Amazon, buydig.com, etc.

Dell offers a 2yr Extended Service Plan for $118.

More info here:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=242393
and here:
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...46709&t=375235

EDIT: looks like the deal is dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back