Night Oblivion Butastur thread
Aug 26, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #136 of 340
I am not a reviewer, so I share briefly with impression after ~12 hours.
Vocals: Smooth, natural and detailed.
Treble: Detailed and smooth extension with energy, never too shouty.
Staging: Am impressed with the imaging/separation and staging.

Musical, engaging and non-fatiguing iem. Overall coherent (not congested), energetic, dynamic, no slight sibilance, detail retrieval ~ heard recording artifacts I hadn't noticed before in couple of tracks. I really enjoy the instrument details retrieval and they sound snappier.

Night Oblivion Butastur is beautifully crafted and wears comfortable. First two hours via N7 isn't that impressive. But the sound opens up after that and it stuck to my ears. It could also be my own issue since I have trouble with finding the right ear tips, until I put on SpinFit W1.

Other iem I have are AüR Audio Neon Pro, AüR Audio Aurora, and Monarch MKII. I won't be looking to compare them. From my own impression, Night Oblivion Butastur and AüR Audio Neon Pro are tuned differently. Neon Pro is more energetic than Butastur, and I enjoy Rock/Alternative/Pop songs with Neon Pro.

Congrats to AmericanSpirit_JP and his team on Night Oblivion Butastur. Along with AüR Audio, they shake the iem industries. High price tag doesn't mean is good. In my personal opinion, their engineered iem became the benchmark in the iem markets. They know what is needed for music lovers.

Impression may change with more hours. Now, continue to enjoy.

Source: (1) Cayin N7, (2) computer > Schitt Gungnir Multibit > Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon
Ear tip: SpinFit W1 (getting H570)
Cable: Stock
Switch: 0-0

Singer / Songs
Adele
Agnes Obel - Aventine
Aimer
Amy MacDonald - This is the life
Amy Winehouse - Back to black
Angus & Julia Stone - Grizzly Bear
Beth Orton - Weather Alive
Beyond
Billie Eilish - Happier Than Ever
Birdy - Skinny Love
Celine Dion
Chlara - evo sessions
Chen Jie Li
Emi Fujita
Explosions in the sky - Wilderness
Ethel Cain - Preacher's Daughter
Every Little Thing - Time Goes By
Fleetwood Mac - Dreams
Fleet Foxes - Your protector
G.E.M.
Jacky Cheung
James Blunt - Back to Bedlam
JJ Lin
Joe Hisaishi
Hans Zimmer - The Dark Knight Rises
Harold Faltermeyer - Top Gun Maverick
Manchester Orchestra - The Valley of Vision
Marvin Gaye - What's going on
Michael Jackson
Michael Buble - Lost
Kitaro - Kojiki
Olafur Arnalds - Ljosi
Olivia Ong
Lana Del Rey
Leslie Cheung
London Grammar
Li Yugang - Flowers in the Mirror, Moon in the Water
Passenger - All the little lights
Pink Floyd - Time
SawanoHiroyuki[nZk] - Binary Star
Samantha Lam
Susanne Sundfør - blómi
Taeyeon - If
Tsai Chin
Two-mix
X Japan - Ballad Collection - Forever Love (Last mix)
Yanni
Yao Si
Could you compare for me Aurora and Butastur

Aug 26, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #137 of 340
Great to have a place to discuss these. I'm going to update this post with some photos and detailed impressions when I get the opportunity.

The creators are making a statement with the performance they have achieved for $599. The Butastur is for lovers of a natural, balanced and highly technical sound. Jazz, classical, baroque, world, acoustic singer song/writer music sounds tremendous but they don't have any issue making other genres really fun too in the '1-1' switch position (bass and treble enhancement), the so called 'macrodynamic mode'.

Hmm, you are doing a good job of selling these to me and I’m only a couple of posts into this thread 😂

Aug 26, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #138 of 340
Soon there will be many more…

But I had understood that the Butastur was above Z1R or Mest 3... the NP is, that's why I say it.

Neon Pro is above MEST MKIII? - I definitely do not agree with that!

Aug 26, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #139 of 340
Neon Pro is above MEST MKIII? - I definitely do not agree with that!
That is the fun of all this. To me, they are light years above.
In fact, due to the naturalness and coherence of the sound, they would not even be comparable to me.

Aug 26, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #140 of 340
In fact, due to the naturalness and coherence of the sound, they would not even be comparable to me.
Come on, at most NP at the same level, or slightly better depending on taste. We are talking about all well performing TOTL-ish here. “Light years ahead” is just exaggerated to me.

Aug 26, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #141 of 340

Interesting, to each their own!

Aug 27, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #143 of 340
Come on, at most NP at the same level, or slightly better depending on taste. We are talking about all well performing TOTL-ish here. “Light years ahead” is just exaggerated to me.
In my experience it is not exaggerated at all.

To start with, I didn't really like the Mest 3 when I tried it, I would take the 1 or 2 without hesitation.

And then again, having both the Mest 2 and the NP for months, there hasn't been a single time I've picked the Mest over the NP. Not even one. For months (I have finished selling the Mest 2). Therefore, for me it is not an exaggeration: the NP is far superior to any of the Mest (not at a technical level, there they may be even, but at the level of tonality, naturalness and coherence).

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #144 of 340
Could you compare for me Aurora and Butastur
In my personal opinion, it depends on the music genre. I feel that Aurora shine on vocal-centric music (not entirely all, and dependent on recording), especially so for female artist singer. It offers natural and emotional vocal and is balanced. I am surprise that darker music like Chelsea Wolfe shines in Butastur. I am not good at explaining the technicalities of things, and I prefer to let music do the talk. Kindly note that I am splitting hair here and these are my own opinion.

Leonarfd write up on Aurora is good for reference.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/aür-audio-aurora.26604/reviews#review-31227

Source: Cayin N7
Aurora (>100 hours); Butastur (<18 hours)

[Aurora shines]
Olivia Ong - Sometimes when we touch
Emi Fujita - Fields of gold
Norah Jones - Don't know why
Chlara - Dying inside
Karen Souza - Billie jean
Sun Lu - Chinese or Cantonese songs
Chen Jie Li - Chinese or Cantonese songs
Liu De Li - Chinese or Cantonese songs

[Both Aurora and Butastur are up to respective game with slight difference in weigh on staging or impact]
Utada Hikaru - First love
Birdy - Skinny love
Diana Krall - Stop this world
Yao Si Ting - Fields of gold
Luther Vandross - Dance with my father
Adele - Someone like you
Amy Winehouse - Rehab
Rebecca Pidgeon - Spanish harlem
Ethel Cain - American Teenager
London Grammar - Rooting for you, Big picture
Billie Eilish - Everybody dies
Michael Buble - Lost
Susanne Sundfør - ashera's song
Agnes Obel - Myopia
Angus & Julia Stone - Grizzly bear
Norah Jones - Don't know why (Live at Ronnie Scott's)
X Japan - Forever love (acoustic)
Michael Hedges - Aerial boundaries
Katie Melua - Gold in them hills
Michael Jackson - Heal the world
Aimer - Even heaven
Hollow coves - The woods
Gert Taberner - Fallen

[Butastur shows greater impact and more satisfying]
Lisa - Homura
X Japan - Forever love (Last mix)
Disturbed - The sound of silence
Adele - Someone like you (Live at The Royal Albert Hall)
Avril Lavigne - Nobody's home
Distance, Light & Sky - Son
Two-mix - Just communication

[Butastur stars]
Michael Jackson - Black or white
Lindsey Stirling - The arena
Hans Zimmer - Chevaliers de sangreal, Rise
Miles Davis - So what
Chelsea Wolfe - Carrion Flowers

Aug 27, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #145 of 340
In my personal opinion, it depends on the music genre. I feel that Aurora shine on vocal-centric music (not entirely all, and dependent on recording), especially so for female artist singer. It offers natural and emotional vocal and is balanced. I am surprise that darker music like Chelsea Wolfe shines in Butastur. I am not good at explaining the technicalities of things, and I prefer to let music do the talk. Kindly note that I am splitting hair here and these are my own opinion.

Leonarfd write up on Aurora is good for reference.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/aür-audio-aurora.26604/reviews#review-31227

Source: Cayin N7
Aurora (>100 hours); Butastur (<18 hours)

[Aurora shines]
Olivia Ong - Sometimes when we touch
Emi Fujita - Fields of gold
Norah Jones - Don't know why
Chlara - Dying inside
Karen Souza - Billie jean
Sun Lu - Chinese or Cantonese songs
Chen Jie Li - Chinese or Cantonese songs
Liu De Li - Chinese or Cantonese songs

[Both Aurora and Butastur are up to respective game with slight difference in weigh on staging or impact]
Utada Hikaru - First love
Birdy - Skinny love
Diana Krall - Stop this world
Yao Si Ting - Fields of gold
Luther Vandross - Dance with my father
Adele - Someone like you
Amy Winehouse - Rehab
Rebecca Pidgeon - Spanish harlem
Ethel Cain - American Teenager
London Grammar - Rooting for you, Big picture
Billie Eilish - Everybody dies
Michael Buble - Lost
Susanne Sundfør - ashera's song
Agnes Obel - Myopia
Angus & Julia Stone - Grizzly bear
Norah Jones - Don't know why (Live at Ronnie Scott's)
X Japan - Forever love (acoustic)
Michael Hedges - Aerial boundaries
Katie Melua - Gold in them hills
Michael Jackson - Heal the world
Aimer - Even heaven
Hollow coves - The woods
Gert Taberner - Fallen

[Butastur shows greater impact and more satisfying]
Lisa - Homura
X Japan - Forever love (Last mix)
Disturbed - The sound of silence
Adele - Someone like you (Live at The Royal Albert Hall)
Avril Lavigne - Nobody's home
Distance, Light & Sky - Son
Two-mix - Just communication

[Butastur stars]
Michael Jackson - Black or white
Lindsey Stirling - The arena
Hans Zimmer - Chevaliers de sangreal, Rise
Miles Davis - So what
Chelsea Wolfe - Carrion Flowers
Thank you for the response, if u only had the opportunity to purchase one which one wld u go for personally

Aug 27, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #146 of 340
Some brief opinions on Butastur. I have Neon Pro as well so will reference it.

First the fit and comfort is definitely more universal than NP due to the smaller shell. The venting system ensures no pressure build up and comfortable hearing session. However this also brings about the first difference is that bass is nerfed in butastur. NP bass off still more bassy than Butastur bass on. On the treble switch, Butastur upper mids/lower treble is too hot when the switch is on which is not tolerable for me so its off for me. Overall its a more relaxed tuning with NP sounding more forward generally. In conclusion its effectively a less energetic NP at the optimal 1-0 switch position hence not a 1 to 1 alternative. If you have small ears, prefer a more relaxed tuning and limited budget probably its for you but if you want the bass impact and full bodied sound I think NP is better choice.

Aug 27, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #147 of 340
Some brief opinions on Butastur. I have Neon Pro as well so will reference it.

First the fit and comfort is definitely more universal than NP due to the smaller shell. The venting system ensures no pressure build up and comfortable hearing session. However this also brings about the first difference is that bass is nerfed in butastur. NP bass off still more bassy than Butastur bass on. On the treble switch, Butastur upper mids/lower treble is too hot when the switch is on which is not tolerable for me so its off for me. Overall its a more relaxed tuning with NP sounding more forward generally. In conclusion its effectively a less energetic NP at the optimal 1-0 switch position hence not a 1 to 1 alternative. If you have small ears, prefer a more relaxed tuning and limited budget probably its for you but if you want the bass impact and full bodied sound I think NP is better choice.

Similar feelings on my side. Mine haven't changed much since my post below:

Spending more time playing with the switches on Butastur today and I think in the long term I will be switching between 0-0 and 1-0.

A few distinguishing differences I'm hearing between NP on closer listening and that will really lead you one way or another...

Regardless of switch setting on Butastur or NP:

1. NP has more macrodynamics and more bass impact
2. Butastur mids are placed slightly further back and the stage feels more open because of it (+/- the effect of BRAS resonance/pressure control).
3. NP has a more organic midrange (my theory is maybe due to Sonion involvement)
4. Butastur has a lighter note weight

Butastur is delicate and detailed and NP feels more embodied and forthright. I prefer my classical/jazz/acoustic delicate and detailed and other genres a bit more energetic...

Aug 27, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #148 of 340
Thank you for the response, if u only had the opportunity to purchase one which one wld u go for personally
Tough to pick only one. I will not be satisfy with either only this or that. This is mainly because of the genre that I have, and I will be wondering "what if".

Actually you can also ask Nicholas about Aurora and his other offering. He will be happy to arrange to meet you up and you can test drive.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #150 of 340
Similar feelings on my side. Mine haven't changed much since my post below:
Agreed on my behalf too. The Butastur is a bit lighter and more delicate than the NP.

All in all the NP is still my favourite IEM. For me it is unmatched in connecting me emotionally with most music I listen to, but the Butastur is an interesting alternative signature wise and matches some genres even better than the NP.
Happy to own both...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back