Nick Cave fans . . . after Boatman's Call . . . . what's next?
Jun 14, 2010 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Justin Uthadude

500+ Head-Fier
Boatman's Call is the first Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds album I purchased. I love it. It appears they have lots of albums out and they sound different. If I liked BC, what would you suggest as my second buy?
tanks

Jun 15, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #2 of 17
If you don't mind a "best of ..." you'd probably enjoy "The Best of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds".  "Let Love In" is awesome.  I have an especially warm spot for the later "No More Shall We Part".  There really  isn't much in the way of bad Nick Cave out there.

- Ed

Jun 15, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #3 of 17
I'd check out "No more shall we part", I find it similar to Boatman's call, but with a bigger and full band sound.
Convince yourself:
http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/playlist/No+more+shall+we+part/30725802

Jun 15, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #4 of 17
I've collected virtually everything released since Birthday Party times, so it's very hard to make a single album recommendation besides The Boatman's Call. Before delving much further into Nick Cave's catalog, I suppose what I would do is go back quite a bit further along the timeline and see if the "harder-edged" style appeals to you. Of the older Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds' albums, I would probably go for From Her to Eternity.

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 17
@falis & mink - thanks; listened to the shark and ordered a used amazon copy of NMSWP for $5. love it.

@Jaska - Listened to a couple snippets on the net. It's 1984? Anyway, I think he was a little too punk back then for me, but I'm gonna listen again. I may get to like it. I detect a taste of Talking Heads something so it might grow on me.

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 17
His albums are quite diverse in their style. The Birthday Party are quite an experience to listen to! Listen to excerpts online as others have said and see what you like.

Another option which I like is to buy a live album, listen and pick out your favourite songs - then look for albums featuring those songs.

Jun 15, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #8 of 17
Well that one is really slow type of songs with piano.

I think maybe ... The Good Son would be good if you want some more piano and slower I think its WAY BETTER.

And others try listening to clips or something The Firstborn is Dead and Tender Prey.

Jun 15, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
If you don't mind a "best of ..." you'd probably enjoy "The Best of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds".  "Let Love In" is awesome.  I have an especially warm spot for the later "No More Shall We Part".  There really  isn't much in the way of bad Nick Cave out there.

- Ed

Same.  I'm a huge Nick Cave fan, with No More Shall We Part, Let Love In, The Boatman's Call, and Your Funeral My Trial, getting regular play over the years.  I recently picked up Grinderman (love it) and a couple soundtrack CDs done with Warren Ellis, which then got me into The Dirty Three, etc.  All great listening, imo.

Jun 15, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 17
How can I not want to buy Let Love In when I read this review on Amazon?

Quote:
Listening to this gloomy, heroin-soaked collection of songs had me ready to quit my job, divorce my wife and hunt down Nick and tell him he was to blame. Instead, I kept the job and bought the rest of his albums. The jury's still out about the marriage, but in the end, I'm convinced that my life will end in a fiery disaster and Nick will somehow be to blame.

I'm afraid I've stumbled onto yet another must have artist . . .
Y'all are enablers, you know?

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #12 of 17

This is actually one of the albums I've always used to test headphones for treble handling. It's a true Grado killer 
evil_smiley.gif
. Besides John Cale's original mixes of The Stooges, I haven't ever come across anything with treble this wicked, especially on the first track. I absolutely agree that Let Love In is a must-have. It's without a doubt near the very top of my list of all-time favorite albums.
Quote:
Intelligent, raw, and heartbreakingly gorgeous at times.  A must-have indeed.  

Quote:

Jun 16, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibutenma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that one is really slow type of songs with piano.
I think maybe ... The Good Son would be good if you want some more piano and slower I think its WAY BETTER.

+1 for "The Good Son" if you like the slower, ballad style. "The Ship Song" alone is worth the price of admission.

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #14 of 17
Indeedy.  So now you're ready for Richard Thompson.  When I first met my wife in '01, I had never heard Nick; she had never heard Richard.  She plays some for me, and I says, he reminds me of Jim Morrison for his vocals and poetry and Richard Thompson for his songwriting, subject matter and artistry (not to mention competence).  But it's really a matter of stance towards life that binds those two together.  It was a nice exhange of new must have artists for the two of us, and we hardly had to buy anything!

- Ed

Oh year, both RT and NC were part of the Meltdown homage to Kate McGarrigle a couple of nights ago. Google it.  Kate and her sister sang backup on one of the songs on "No More Shall We Part" - the one about "my nurse...".

Quote:

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
This is actually one of the albums I've always used to test headphones for treble handling. It's a true Grado killer 
evil_smiley.gif
. Besides John Cale's original mixes of The Stooges, I haven't ever come across anything with treble this wicked, especially on the first track. I absolutely agree that Let Love In is a must-have. It's without a doubt near the very top of my list of all-time favorite albums.

I strongly suspect that we have very similar taste in music.   Stooges fan here as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back