Next step up from the SR60?
Jan 14, 2007 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Brohken

100+ Head-Fier
I just sold my Grado SR60 and am looking for a solid replacement under $150.

What would be the best namg for the buck?

I listen mostly to: Rap, Ambient, Classical, Electronic

I liked the warm sound of the SR60 and they were very comfortable. They sound a bit upfront and I wish there was a larger sound spectrum to surround me more. They give me a slight throbbing feel when wearing them

I want something with excellent build quality and something that won't give me upgraditis for some time. Also sound with a noticeably better sound than the Grados.

Can you please recommend me something guys and where to buy it? I heard the HD555 where the next step up. I prefer to buy new, but don't mind getting a used pair.

Jan 14, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 12
For rap, ambient, classical, and electronic? The HD555 will do you nicely. I listen to all those genres in varying degrees(ambient and electronic the most), and the quality of the HD555's sound is comparable to that of a hi-fi stereo's strapped to your head. It is also very easy to drive(meaning you don't need to spend more money on an amp), and they are very comfortable indeed; give it a few minutes of playing music, and you'll forget they're even on your head
rs1smile.gif

Good luck=]

Jan 14, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 12
hd580

that's the best short-list of music taste i've ever seen. rap, classical, electronica... just kinda unexpected paired together. no offense, i love all three of those genres.

but yeah, the HD580 is pretty much what you described IMO

Jan 14, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

that's the best short-list of music taste i've ever seen. rap, classical, electronica... just kinda unexpected paired together.

You took the words out my mouth, lol=]

I'm going to make a bit riskier suggestion and tell ya the dt770/80(IF, you can get it under $150 new).

Enjoy=]

*edit* Oh btw, all the headphones mentioned in this thread so far, will BLOW AWAY the sr60. It was the sr60 that prompted me to get the sr80. I now wish I spent that same $100 getting the hd555 instead. The latter 'phone is just on a whole different level than the former can, imo=]

Jan 16, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #6 of 12
I own the 580s and the SR60s and prefer the 580s over the SR60s for most music. However, that's after amping. Coming straight out of my cd player, I prefer by SR60s. I am using a 2006 BitHead from Headroom as my amp. It's not the best amp, but it's good enough for my needs as my source is my computer.

You might want to also check out the SR225 as an upgrade from SR60s. I demoed the SR225s at a store and found them amazing for metal/rock.

Jan 16, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #7 of 12
I guess I want something that is a great all-around phone which doesn't need an amp, but can benefit from it (incase I get a little upgaditis) that will be as much an upgrade from the SR60 as my SR60 was from the sony EX71sl in-ear buds.

im torn between getting an HD555, HD580 (which looks like it will need an amp) or something else which I'm missing. :T

Jan 16, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #8 of 12
I would recommend going for a pair of HD580s, for what you described, it can't be beat for the price. Then I would amp them up with a GO Vibe and you'll have a pretty killer set up.

The DT880 03 with the use of software EQ is my second suggestion (if you can find it at ~$150) . I find that if you boost the 60hz frequency in VLC media player, you can basically get a tight sub woofer sound in your head from these headphones, with out coloring the other frequencies. It's a secret that I have not seen discussed on this forum
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2007 at 9:37 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I want something that is a great all-around phone which doesn't need an amp, but can benefit from it (incase I get a little upgaditis) that will be as much an upgrade from the SR60 as my SR60 was from the sony EX71sl in-ear buds.

im torn between getting an HD555, HD580 (which looks like it will need an amp) or something else which I'm missing. :T

Perhaps what you are missing is the HD595s. They sound great unamped, just like the 555s, but a good amp can improve their sound a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back