next step up from the Cmoy?
Mar 16, 2007 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Brohken

100+ Head-Fier
Is there any guide thats as easy to follow but for a better amp than the cmoy?

I built my cmoy successfully and want to move on to something else but don't know how to do anything except follow directions and solder.

If there was a list of things I need to buy that would help too.

Thanks!

Mar 16, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 22
Ive been looking for the same thing. Ive built 2 cmoys, but I'm having trouble finding a guide with instructions as extensive as Tangent's. I'm beginning to think that Ill have to decipher the schematics and design my own layout.

Mar 16, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 22
Per title, see this. Even has a real PCB instead of the ratshack board. Sounds significantly better than a CMoy as well (and of course it costs more to build). Go to Tangent's audio parts shop (link should be in there) to buy the board, pot, etc. Go to Digikey/Mouser to get the rest.

Mar 16, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 22
I've been very impressed with the CK²III by amb. He also has a PCB available. It's quite easy to build, the only real stumbling block is that you'll need a decent DMM to set the output bias current. Other than that, the design is fairly foolproof, and there aren't really any choices to make which should help you resist the temptation to tweak and get a working setup first.

Mar 17, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #8 of 22
This probably sounds ridiculous but are there any other guides that use protoboards. I find them to be expensive...and when I'm trying to build a $50 amp and the board costs me 15-25 bucks...it sucks...

I don't mind soldering more and doubling the work time...are there any guides out there? or am I pretty much stuck with taking the schematics and figuring it out...

Mar 17, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #10 of 22
PIMETA!!!! Also, if you are looking to go tube, the SOHA is awesome. All of this has already been stated, Im just backing it up.

Mar 17, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This probably sounds ridiculous but are there any other guides that use protoboards. I find them to be expensive...and when I'm trying to build a $50 amp and the board costs me 15-25 bucks...it sucks...

I don't mind soldering more and doubling the work time...are there any guides out there? or am I pretty much stuck with taking the schematics and figuring it out...

Well the thing is, with PCBs everything goes together well, makes it that much nicer and easy to assemble. Protoboard is more of a "one size fits all" affair, where the protoboard is designed to fit almost anything and support all sorts of layouts, if you can be bothered figuring it out and making things fit. Usually not quite as ideal either, I've only touched on it, but if you have wires/jumpers going all over the place I'm fairly sure it will create a bit of unwanted inductance/capacitance.

Also in my experience at least, the protoboards I get here are of inferior quality to a PCB. Pads/tracks lift easily from desoldering, not tinned so they can be harder to solder onto without cleaning them up a bit, not masked so you can get bridges more easily. Which seems to me a common problem with a few first cmoys.

I'm sure others can think of a few things.

So in summary, I'd personally pay the extra for PCBs anyway and tangent's boards are all quite reasonable in price, except for maybe the LNMP board. I'd imagine though that's more of a niche though so only a small run was done, so the boards aren't as cost effective as a big batch.

Mar 17, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #12 of 22
learn how to use a perfboard.

After cmoy, learn how to build this:

simpleabpc2.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by splaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tangent's boards are all quite reasonable in price, except for maybe the LNMP board. I'd imagine though that's more of a niche though so only a small run was done, so the boards aren't as cost effective as a big batch.

Bingo. I can only make a very small number of LNMPs, as they go very slowly.

Mar 17, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
learn how to use a perfboard.

After cmoy, learn how to build this:

That many small parts in such a tight space can be tricky for beginners.

Sometimes i wonder if we should come up with a follow-on guide to tangent's cmoy article that would show beginners how to use the other half of the radioshack perfboard to expand the cmoy into an a47, or implement a pair of chip buffers.

Mar 18, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #15 of 22
it really isnt that hard ericj.

Just do more reading than usual and don't rush the project. I just started this project lately. Step by step, with the discreet rail splitter first. (after two successful build of cmoys using surplus parts). It's also a good practise
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back