Next move after AD900x and COP ?
Jan 5, 2014 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Huckle

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I already own the Audio-Technica AD900x and The beyer Dynamics Custom One Pro.

I use the first one for clear and vivid highs and for a large and precise soundstage (mainly for electronica, idm, classical etc.). I truly love it. To me, the second one is good for urban or pop music beats (thanks to the bass reflex system), but got the disadvantage to make me quite claustrophobic...

I'm thinking about buying a third pair but I'm lost...
Considering you got the AD900x and the COP, what would be your next move ?

I want something that sounds really different and at least as good as my AD900x. I'm thinking Grado but is it a good move ?
Thank you in advance for your precious advice.
My best,
Vincent

Jan 5, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 12
do you own any amplifers specifically for those headphones or plan to buy one if necessary for your next headphone? this will help others who read your thread to give you more helpful advice.

Jan 5, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #3 of 12
Sorry Doco, thank you.
I use the C5D Amplifier + DAC from JDS Labs.
Pretty happy about it.

Jan 6, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #4 of 12
Stax srs-2170. Hifiman HE-400.. Probably too expensive. Ohh well..

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #5 of 12
Hi Davidsh and thanks for the unpredictable advice !

I have indeed completely forgot to mention my price range... But I'm currently living in Japan and if I eat rice for few weeks, well, I could manage to offer my ears the Stax srs2170 :wink: I find these cans at approximatively 320 euros on japanese shops.

The fact is I don't know what I should expect from planar headphones...
I'll read posts on it, but how would you describe the sound difference between the Stax or the Hifiman and my AD900x for instance ?

I'm also afraid I won't be able to plug the dedicated amps on my computer (I mostly listen to flac files)...
Thanks again !

Jan 6, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #6 of 12
Well, the Stax headphones do need a dedicated (special) amp as they are electrostats.

HE-400 fit your genres pretty well.. They do like some amping, and will scale if you upgrade but I guess the c5 will work fine.

Both should be pretty different from what you are used to.

Else, I'd also throw in the phillips fidelio x1 as a more conventional option.

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #7 of 12
Thank you for your answer.
I'll read few posts on these and let you know my choice if by any chance I make up my mind in the next few days :wink:
I'll also try to listen to them...
Cheers,

Jan 6, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #9 of 12
Thank you Trunks !

As I read more and more reviews (but my boss doesn't know :wink:, I'm beginning to have a much more precise idea of what would be my next pair : excellent mids (nevermind if the highs and the bass are a bit low), large soundstage and above all, a truly fun sound.

Maybe it's not that easy... But at least what should I forget ?
Cheers,

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #10 of 12
  Thank you Trunks !

As I read more and more reviews (but my boss doesn't know :wink:, I'm beginning to have a much more precise idea of what would be my next pair : excellent mids (nevermind if the highs and the bass are a bit low), large soundstage and above all, a truly fun sound.

Maybe it's not that easy... But at least what should I forget ?
Cheers,

Fun sound mostly refer to v-shaped which in term often means sucked out mids. You probably want to make a compromise here if you want both. I find large sound stage is not that important to me. Precision, imaging and a well proportioned sound stage is way more important.

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #11 of 12
Hmm. I see. Thank you !
So I guess you still recommend the He 400 ?
I'll give it a try as soon as possible.

Jan 8, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #12 of 12
I do. Hifiman are releasing new models soon, though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back