Next DAP needed, 801 dead. What next? 901. C4, AK100,X3/5/7, DX50/90/100
Feb 4, 2014 at 11:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

KT66

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi, the market has just exploded in the last 18 months, quite hard to cope with it all. ( I use ES10s (with ESW9 pads) and DT1350 only on the move,)

My 801 line out collapsed on me today, the headphone socket broke months ago.
I have asked Head Direct if they can do the repair, but I am not feeling that optimistic that they will so.

I still have a Studio 3rd, so redbook is covered, I really want a player to replay a large
collection of 24/96flac, both HD tracks and LP rips from my LP12.

I have always lusted after a C4 and these days the price doesn't seem high any more as every one else has
raised their game and price. However it's WAV only, yes I could convert, but I'd rather not.

Would the X3/X50 be a big step down in sound quality? I have an O2 and Graham Slee Voyager at hand.

I am on the world tour of the X5 and will have that on Feb 14th - so that will rule that in or out.

Is the DX100 still a contender ? is it bug free? is it reliable?

How would the Ak100 compare to the 801? 
I like the sound of my 801, but I love and prefer the sound of my MDAC with ESS DAC

I would like a flat sound, clean and clear treble, flat bass, not warm.
I don't care about UI, gapless, battery or memory, only sound quality and build.

I think the answer could be the 901 but I am not impressed with the build of the 801 
obviously, so am reluctant to buy another HIFIMAN product,
however my 601 never let me down and got some serious abuse.

These portable players really need extra rugged construction, being used on the move they
get more abuse that any other audio product. People laugh at the look of the Voyager Amp 
but it will last forever.

Budget - ideally less than £500 - but will spend more if I have to

thanks in advance for your help

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #2 of 28
or should I just get this ?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/703339/hifiman-hm-801-w-balanced-game-std-amps

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 28
Well the item for sale is ruled out as its not a fixed price sale, but an auction!

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #4 of 28
I love answering my own threads, after a day of research I am 
deciding on the ibasso DX90 - ticks every box.

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 28

Haha. Saw this. Made me lol. 

I would go for an X5 coz it's within your budget with some extra change and pretty good from what I've read from people comparing it to the 901.

If you have the cash to spare, get a 901. The build quality of the newer batches are pretty good as well as the latest firmware.  

Own two cents. 

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 28

Well, the DX90 isn't out yet so no-one can be 100% sure of it - however, because it's essentially an upgrade to the DX50, the iBasso crowd are very optimistic indeed about it, so I'd say it's a good choice as long as you don't mind waiting a bit. 

If you're impatient, or if you'd like to save some money, the DX50 is in many people's opinion one of the audiophile bargains of the century. It's small, cheap, has excellent SQ and is very versatile, even supporting DSD (admittedly, converted..). With firmware 1.2.8 it's also very stable. 

I'd suggest checking one out - just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's not a serious contender. I've listened to more music with my DX50 than with anything else recently. Even my home set up with HE500s has been seriously neglected, as I've been listening to the DX50 on the go with UE900s, in bed with Sennheiser Momentums, or through my amp and speakers via the LO!!

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #7 of 28
Try the X5 first and maybe the 901 later. I would skip the X3 which isn't much better than an iPod/Clip Zip (IMHO) and sounds very warm.

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #8 of 28
901 is another type of sound in term of vocal as it is thinned off. Of course details are gd. But it seemed that the quality of the accessories and new 901 not that good as compare to the unpleasant look of 801. DX 50 is another quality and wouldn't match your 801 quality at all. The vocal portion of DX 50 is good but not others as compare to 801. I still hold onto 801 and sold my 901. Of course still using two DX 50 as secondary. But if you pair the DX 50 with Kojo-01 and that is very very smooth sounding truly. I HATE dap that cannot change battery freely.

I am thinking of 802 but not sure whether to get that when stock arrived. Maybe I will as I am satisfy with the recent after sale
service.

But one thing I like to say the after sale service of hifiman really improved lot and I respect that truly.

Feb 14, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #9 of 28
thanks for the replies.

I am glad to say Hifiman are being very helpful, and I may be
able to send back the 801 for repair

The DX90 really caught my eye as it seems like a DX100 without the touchscreen,
android and apps, ie every I don't need in a DAP.

The 901 is my dream, not sure I can justify the price, but maybe I can
do a swap for the 801 with Head-Direct? I am speaking to Fang about this possibility

I am receiving the X5 as part of the world tour next week, should be interesting

In the mean time i am using my old 601 with a Graham Slee Voyager with DT1350s
or ES10 the sound is really really good, I forgot what a magical combo this is, I am
even using this in preference over my 3rd Anniversary Studio.

Feb 14, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #10 of 28
The DX90 is touchscreen lol. 

I have a feeling it will really compete with the X5. 

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #11 of 28
I thought it was the same case as the X50 with the same buttons?

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #13 of 28
  thanks for the replies.

I am glad to say Hifiman are being very helpful, and I may be
able to send back the 801 for repair

The DX90 really caught my eye as it seems like a DX100 without the touchscreen,
android and apps, ie every I don't need in a DAP.

The 901 is my dream, not sure I can justify the price, but maybe I can
do a swap for the 801 with Head-Direct? I am speaking to Fang about this possibility

I am receiving the X5 as part of the world tour next week, should be interesting

In the mean time i am using my old 601 with a Graham Slee Voyager with DT1350s
or ES10 the sound is really really good, I forgot what a magical combo this is, I am
even using this in preference over my 3rd Anniversary Studio.

You can my hm801 is also on it's way out, my USB support died a while back and I'm waiting for the headphone and line out to do the same. Repairs they can do upgrades are only for customers who purchase new devices within three months [or that's what I was told] now if you can get around that and do a trade up, then more power to you meng! 

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #14 of 28
FWIW, after much consideration, I opted for the HM802.  Years ago, I had an HM801 and it produced excellent sound.  Now, though I have only a Cowon D2+.  I wanted to get a hi-rez player and the HM802 seemed to provide good value.  I expect to receive the new player early next week.

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #15 of 28
  Hi, the market has just exploded in the last 18 months, quite hard to cope with it all. ( I use ES10s (with ESW9 pads) and DT1350 only on the move,)

My 801 line out collapsed on me today, the headphone socket broke months ago.
I have asked Head Direct if they can do the repair, but I am not feeling that optimistic that they will so.

I still have a Studio 3rd, so redbook is covered, I really want a player to replay a large
collection of 24/96flac, both HD tracks and LP rips from my LP12.

I have always lusted after a C4 and these days the price doesn't seem high any more as every one else has
raised their game and price. However it's WAV only, yes I could convert, but I'd rather not.

Would the X3/X50 be a big step down in sound quality? I have an O2 and Graham Slee Voyager at hand.

I am on the world tour of the X5 and will have that on Feb 14th - so that will rule that in or out.

Is the DX100 still a contender ? is it bug free? is it reliable?

How would the Ak100 compare to the 801? 
I like the sound of my 801, but I love and prefer the sound of my MDAC with ESS DAC

I would like a flat sound, clean and clear treble, flat bass, not warm.
I don't care about UI, gapless, battery or memory, only sound quality and build.

I think the answer could be the 901 but I am not impressed with the build of the 801 
obviously, so am reluctant to buy another HIFIMAN product,
however my 601 never let me down and got some serious abuse.

These portable players really need extra rugged construction, being used on the move they
get more abuse that any other audio product. People laugh at the look of the Voyager Amp 
but it will last forever.

Budget - ideally less than £500 - but will spend more if I have to

thanks in advance for your help

I have not had the 801 but have the X3 and AK120, the X3 sounds remarkably close to the AK and for the money it is hard to beat. They use the same DAC wolfson 8740 so a similar sonic signature although to me the AK which has 2 8740's and is a little bit more refined and I like the UI better compared to the X3. but at quite a cost premium. Maybe you will like the X5 and buy one once you spend your time with it. the AK also plays DSD but converts to PCM first. I have heard there may be a Firmware upgrade that will allow the AK100 to do DSD but will also convert to PCM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back