NEWS: Beats in a lawsuit with Yamaha
Feb 26, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #242 of 493
Despite overwhelmingly positive reviews of Yamaha's SQ, I am hesitant to purchase the PRO 500.  It is not because of this lawsuit.  It is because Yamaha chose to copy a poor design that is uncomfortable, heavy and has the appearance of a cheaply made plastic product, not a $400 audiophile headphone. 

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #243 of 493
They do look very similiar indeed, but when look at them side by side, Yamaha could have done just enough not to lose the case or get away with minimal consequences... :
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #244 of 493
It's all going to come down to the patent itself and what it contains. Is the Yamaha different enough from beats patent? Then again if Yamaha knows anything of prior art and can show beats really did not invent anything new here all bets are off.

Feb 26, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #245 of 493
Ok, this is hypocrisy at its best. Look at the Beats logo and Anton Stankowski's logo from 1971.

Then, BigFix and Priority Parking:

And finally, British Paints and Pagan Osbourne.

See, the "b" used in the Beats logo is a rip off, and it's a multiple rip off.

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #246 of 493
I think it's not just about copying a logo, you have to prove how that stolen logo is being used in the same market as the logo from the original company and is taking away customers from them. I read somewhere that it comes down to proving wether the copied logo was able to lead customers into buying from one company thinking it's another one. Since no one will buy a can of paint thinking it's a pair of Beats headphones (then again I don't expect much from Beats customers, maybe Dre can convince them paint has swag). Can anyone confirm this?

Feb 26, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #248 of 493
Quote:
This happen when people cares more of the appearance than the sound :frowning2:
I guess when they sound the same, using same driver, but difference appearance, no one will care to file a lawsuit... :wink:

It's all about profits. Beats is supposedly selling really well (I haven't seen the figures), so even some of the big boys like Yamaha want in. 

Denon did enough with its new design to differentiate itself from Beats yet still manages to capture some of the similarities. Unfortunately, Denon also chose to mimic the Beats sound signature and has ruined what was a great line of fun but still hi-fi cans. 

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #249 of 493
Quote:
Monster Beats has no integrity, but like Lizard says, those trademarked symbols are from completely different industries and aren't competitors. Is there a trademark lawyer in the house? Surely, a few of those owners would have sued by now if they could (they should too). 

While I am not a fan of their headphones, this is a very strong statement.  What is your premise for stating this?

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #251 of 493
Quote:
While I am not a fan of their headphones, this is a very strong statement.  What is your premise for stating this?

Quote:

While I don't hate Monster, things like this make me seriously doubt their integrity. It's a story that's been around for some time, that one has pictures.

Fair enough regarding Monster.  Please keep in mind Beats is now a completely separate company with no affiliation to Monster currently.

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #252 of 493
Quote:
I think it's not just about copying a logo, you have to prove how that stolen logo is being used in the same market as the logo from the original company and is taking away customers from them. I read somewhere that it comes down to proving wether the copied logo was able to lead customers into buying from one company thinking it's another one. Since no one will buy a can of paint thinking it's a pair of Beats headphones (then again I don't expect much from Beats customers, maybe Dre can convince them paint has swag). Can anyone confirm this?

You might want to have a look at the ruling over the use of the word (sic) Ipad , and how it confounded apple. Copyright is different from patent and copyright infringement transcends industry. Again prior art and intellectual property assertions rule here. See WWF vs WWF (world wildlife fund) there could be no two industries on earth more disparate and "who got there first" one out. The only thing Beats has that is unique is the Name and I do not see Yamaha by Dre anywhere.

The patent issue intrigues me, as other than a flat cable (which Yamaha was foolish enough to use) I cannot see any technical innovation whatsoever in any of the Beats products. Once again I'd love to see what exactly the patent states. If Yamaha has any prior art proof whatsoever the Beats patent could be challenged leaving them to rely on copyright, which as shown elsewhere here is on shaky ground itself.  This looks like specious litigation at its best. Anyone know if Dre has some new bassbloated product coming out soon?

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #253 of 493
Quote:

The patent issue intrigues me, as other than a flat cable (which Yamaha was foolish enough to use) I cannot see any technical innovation whatsoever in any of the Beats products.

That's because Beats' patents are what are called design patents, which simply cover the "looks" of something, not utility patents which are for functional innovations.

se

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #254 of 493
Quote:

That's because Beats' patents are what are called design patents, which simply cover the "looks" of something, not utility patents which are for functional innovations.

se

I get that, but still there must really be some feats of literary description there to cover off what is essentially nothing new. If they are relying on that teardrop shape to save them, I suspect they are in for a pretty rude awakening.

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #255 of 493
Quote:

I get that, but still there must really be some feats of literary description there to cover off what is essentially nothing new. If they are relying on that teardrop shape to save them, I suspect they are in for a pretty rude awakening.

I posted a list of all of Beats' design patents in this post, so you can pull them up and take a look at them for yourself:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/651161/news-beats-in-a-lawsuit-with-yamaha/195#post_9187718

I don't think there are going to be any rude awakenings. I think there are just some lawyers who are going to make some money on both sides. This may not even get to court.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back