Newbies impression on Ultrasone HFI2400
Nov 9, 2012 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Retrias

Headphoneus Supremus
So as according to recommendation on my thread I went in and bought Hif2400, because I found it to be the cheapest amongst the choice I was given
I bought this headphone from amazon for 180 dollar or so , It jsut arrive today , so I am looking forward to burning it in before making a full impression

The headphone comes in a very plain cardboard packaging , the box claims 3d reprsentation that is different from other headphones because its using an S logic technology. The packaging includes
1x Hfi 2400
1x 3.5mm cable
1x 6.8mm cable
1x Pouch
1x audio CD

The audio CD seems to be a very nice addition , although it is composed of a genre I don't listen too much to , I guess they are classifying this headphone as suitable to classic listening. The pouch is a cloth pouch, made out of one of those velour like cloth, I would expect a hardcase actually, but then I hear some manufacturer doesn't even include a case. There is a decent ammount of added value in this headphone then , certainly more than the beyer dt1350

The 3.5mm jack is pretty short , compared to what I used to have ( Shure Se215, Beyer dt1350, PX100 and PX200). Its almost too short , but you can easily buy an extender or even purchase an aftermarket cable . One benefit to removable headphone cable then?

Build and looks
The entire headphone is made out of plastic with minimal metal part, the one I can see that made out of metal were the plates on both earcup, compared to the beyer dt1350 its pretty standard and assuming ,I could even say cheap. However this plastic doesn't disappoint , the construction feels solid without any flimsy part, the top  part of the headphone bend to accommodate your headshape , the earcup swivels and can be folded in to be carried around in, the grills add in a nice touch to the plain looking headphone , pretty good from what I can see. Certainly not a fashion headphone or headphone that you wear as a fashion statement, pretty much the same with most audio centric headphone

Comfort
The headphone have a velour pad with velour band pad as well ,the earcup envelopes your ear fully, I don't believe I have a large ear , but I would believe this headphone would envelope the ears of most of the people I know. The clamping force is very mild , especially when compared to something like the logitech g35 headset, you still can feel it there but its not as if you are made concious of it being in your head all the time, for me the headphone clamp the most in the jawbone starting area . Maybe the comfort will be better once I get used to this headphone and make minutes adjustments. Overall this headphone is pretty nice and comfortable , especially for something that comes out of the box 15 minutes ago

Sound quality
First let me explain my gear that some of you might think is non adequate to power this headphone to its full power , I am current listening it being attached to an fiio e17 used as a DAC with 12 DB gain(overkill?) , and 30 volume , connected to my laptop. I am using itunes as a media player because I can't be arsed to move to any audiophile music player and still be able to sync up my ipod and galaxy note2 easily, I am not using any eq, and using ALAC files at 1076kbps

as I said this headphone is out of the box , and haven't been in burn in period , I don't even know if its necessary with this headphone. What i suspect to be the S logic claimed expanded sound stage is doing its job, the sound feels like they are not coming headphones like say the beyer dt1350 , instead they seem to come from the surrounding area, this comes from the cost of the sound having less punch to it , at least that is what I feel from this headphone for my genre of music (two steps from hell is... classic? what the hell itunes?), the sound is pretty good and I expect it to get better as I put in more hours to it , I am sorry that I can't explain it in technical terms

I will update this post tommorow , to note any change from the headphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back