Newbie with a few digital format questions
Apr 2, 2017 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Sythrix

Head-Fier
Hello, this is my first post.

I don't know quite how to ask, but I am in the process of trying to hook up my home theater with a decent headphone setup.

I have purchased an FX Audio DAC-X6 along with a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990s (600 ohm). These aren't my first set of phones, I also have the 880s (600 ohm) that I use with my main computer's sound card, the Essence STX II.

Anyways, I plan to run the fiber optic output from my TV in my home theater to the amp. There will be multiple sources for the TV, including a home theater PC, PS4 and streaming on the TV itself. The TV is the SONY X850C 55 Inch. I can't find anything on the audio capability of the TV except that it says the output of the digital connection is PCM.

So my question is: whether or not you think I'll have any quality issues letting my TV handle all of the sources for my signal sent to the amp via the fiber optic. My reasoning is that since it's digital, the signal shouldn't degrade no matter which source until it gets to the DAC in the amp and is converted. Is this a safe bet? Or will my TV destroy the quality even though it's digital? My PC and PS4 will be sending the audio signals via HDMI (the AMD graphics card driver on my PC handles this and I've no idea how to determine its quality).

The amp and headphones are still on order, so this is all pending.

Thanks for reading!

Apr 3, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 3
So what you ordered is a DAC/amp. From what I can see, the audio quality should be fine, unless your TV has some horrible and cheap optical output. Your logic is more or less right in that digital is digital.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back