Newbie starting out with C&C Box+
Jul 9, 2007 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

shacky

Head-Fier
As a new member, the data on this sight is fantastic. Been listening to 4G iPOD for several years without headphone amp. Always wanted to take the plunge but had only looked at Headroom products and couldn't see spending $100-$150 entry level for plastic with tiny volume wheel. While I'm sure they sound fine, I wanted somethng a little more esoteric.
eggosmile.gif

I know there are many "better" amps out there. But for entry price of $109.50, felt it's worth trying for starters. I have Senn 500 ear pods, Senn HD280 Pros and even an old set of Senn 100 sound cancelling. Can't wait to try out the Box+. I listen to mostly apple losseless files. Classic Rock, Blues, and some light jazz - Pat Methany for example.

Will post feedback after I receive what looks like a gem of a little amp with lot's of features!
280smile.gif

Jul 9, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #2 of 5
Try looking at this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=249297

This might help you find out about other portables.

But to be honest if you want something that is not plastic-like, you have to spend over $150, for very portable and solid product. But as they say you pay for what you get.

Mseed spirit is quite solid, its just annoying to charge at times and the term portabilty only applies if you carry a backpack.

Dreamwork Xtra series is good value, but is very warm, like syrup! And can be carried around with a backpack.

Minibox is another consideration.

other good portable amp leaps out of your budget so, unless you really want abover average amp, gotta pay a little bit more.

hope this helps.

Jul 9, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #3 of 5
I did read ALL of Skylabs thread before making purchase decision. I also searched other threads on the C&C and saw different feedback (positive) and notes that Skylab uses Beyer HP and they do no seem to have synergy with the C&C Box V2 (older model).

What I like about the C&C (without hearing it) is the separate powere button, easy to get to gain, bass, and soundfield (I'm assuming this is some version of crossfeed), and best of all internal rechargable battery with quoted long battery life (80 hours but don't know if that's accurate).

So, for $109.50 gamble, I'm going to try it. If I don't like it, I'm out shipping ans will return. Or resell down the road. Looks like resale values on FS forum are prety good.

I'm sure I'll want something better down the road but want to get started. Would have ordered Xin Supermicro IV but as I said I want to get started SOON.

Jul 9, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 5
The C&C Box is a great amp for the money and I strongly disagree with Skylabs rankings (I used best sound including adjustments where he tested base only - though I realize even base took a great deal of time for him), however my biggest concern is that I wonder if it would be better for you to have a pair of phones that benefit more from amping?

Jul 9, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #5 of 5
I've thought that as well. My son has AKG - in same price range as 280 Pro's that I can try. My audiologist receommended not using IEM's as I have moderate high end hearing loss - I'm 50.

I've tried Shure 5c's in airport and they were awesome. Really don't want to spend too much - ike 650's, but how about the Grado's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back