Newbie needs help with first audiophile headphone
Jan 28, 2010 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Akheel saleh

New Head-Fier
Hi

i need advice in selecting my first audiophile headphone

i listen to music on my computer(xonar d2+fiio e3+senn hd 205) and i am not a purist,i use sound enhancing softwares like SRS audio
i would like to have more detail, separation,imaging and excitement in my new headphone.

i have narrowed my selection down to the following

AKG K 702
Grado SR225i
Denon ahd2000

please help me select the right can for my needs

thank you
Akheel

Jan 28, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #2 of 22
You'll need much more than an E3 to make the K702 sound good.

And the D2000 and SR225i are basically going in completely different directions. Would you rather have (oversimplifying here) a more treble-heavy headphone (SR225) or a more bass-heavy headphone (D2000)?

Jan 28, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #3 of 22
SR225i. Can be found ~$150 on the FS forums. I don't use the FS forums though.

Jan 28, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 22
All three sets of cans listed are quite different. You might want to listen to them to see what's right for you.

The AKG K701/2 would need a substantial (desktop) solid state amp to really show you what they can do. The Denon's and Grado's would sound really good un-amped if that helps...and they are both great cans!

Jan 28, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 22
I've heard Grados have comfort issues. I can't say they apply to the sr225is however.

Jan 28, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 22
The E3 will be fine powering the K70x, it's an amazing little "amp." sure you can spend a few hundred to get better sound quality, but you'll be getting amazing results out of the $10 Fiio amp. As a "non purist," I think you'll be more than happy with the combination.

I'm using it with my K701s.

Jan 28, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodoath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard Grados have comfort issues. I can't say they apply to the sr225is however.

I've owned the SR125, SR225i, SR325is and RS1 (still own) and all were very comfortable!!!

I would say that I preferred the SR225is over the SR325is for sound and comfort. The SR325is had a pretty shrilly and hot high end and the metal made them quite heavy.

Jan 28, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by David58117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The E3 will be fine powering the K70x, it's an amazing little "amp." sure you can spend a few hundred to get better sound quality, but you'll be getting amazing results out of the $10 Fiio amp. As a "non purist," I think you'll be more than happy with the combination.

I'm using it with my K701s.

If by "fine" you mean "like it's not even there to offer anything", then I agree. I can barely here a difference when powering an IEM with any of the FiiO products.
bigsmile_face.gif

The K701/2 are IMHO the most difficult can to properly amp as they seemed to be the most dependent on the amp to sound right. I loved them with my RSA Hornet and Mapletree Ear+HD amps (many steps up from the E3), but I realized that there was still a long way to go to properly amp them.

If not amp'd properly (like when I used my old NuForce Icon Mobile), they sounded thin with ZERO bass. And the Icon Mobile is in a whole league above the E3.

I would go between the SR225i and D2000, unless you want to spend major $$$ down the road on the K701/2s.

Jan 28, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akheel saleh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your insight guys!

i mainly listen to 70's & 80s rock and classic music.
i am a treble freak and all i want is my music to sound invigorating,exciting and lively

Based on the your excellent taste in music, I would go with the D2000s or SR225i's. Both are great rock cans with high fun factors.

The K701/2's were great for Pink Floyd, but not much else in the rock genre in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back