[newbie] Help with a decision and a clarification
Jan 28, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #17 of 25
Jan 28, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #18 of 25
Are these grado's a significant upgrade to the 485's? I don't wish to question your experience, but I thought Sennheiser was the 'superior' brand here.

Furthermore, can the Grado's withstand a large head? (I have quite a wide head and the skullcandy's I had the last time broke within 6 months)
frown.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by vikaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are these grado's a significant upgrade to the 485's? I don't wish to question your experience, but I thought Sennheiser was the 'superior' brand here.

Furthermore, can the Grado's withstand a large head? (I have quite a wide head and the skullcandy's I had the last time broke within 6 months)
frown.gif

There are generally no outright superior brands, only superior headphones.

Also, I've heard that Grados are uncomfortable for people with large heads; I haven't experienced this personally, but supposedly bending the headband or buying a JMoney headband will also help.

Jan 29, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #20 of 25
The Grado recommendation has come about because you said you like rock and techno. Grados are the most dynamic cans I have and they add an extra level of oomph to the music, which suits rock. I have not heard the Senns, but of Senns I have heard, the ones which emphasise bass may be more to your liking. My experience of such headphones is that they make the bass too deep and overwhelming, whereas the Grados make the bass more dynamic.

I find mine comfortable to wear, but I paid a bit more to get the full sized pads. There is a lot of flex in the headband, so I am sure they will accommodate the larger head.

Jan 29, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #21 of 25
Ignore headroom graphs, they're not worth trying to understand because they don't really relate to sound or quality.

Senns are not the be all and end all - they have a massive presence, some world class phones, but a number of their low end phones are ordinary for the price. Skull candy are blingy Uber-trash, and Grado doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence - unless it was in the context I used here.

For rock, get a Grado/Allessandro and forget the lod and bargain bucket loud button (Sorry "amp").

Alessandro aren't in the UK, you need to order direct from their site. Think of the MS1 as a SR125, which it practically is - at less than the cost of the SR60 (in the UK). Grado prices in the UK really suck.

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ignore headroom graphs, they're not worth trying to understand because they don't really relate to sound or quality.

Senns are not the be all and end all - they have a massive presence, some world class phones, but a number of their low end phones are ordinary for the price. Skull candy are blingy Uber-trash, and Grado doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence - unless it was in the context I used here.

For rock, get a Grado/Allessandro and forget the lod and bargain bucket loud button (Sorry "amp").

Alessandro aren't in the UK, you need to order direct from their site. Think of the MS1 as a SR125, which it practically is - at less than the cost of the SR60 (in the UK). Grado prices in the UK really suck.

Hmm, that is interesting, the SR1 is 109.99 USD, which is 67GBP. What I don't get now is, will Alessandro/the Bank be stubborn and charge me 109.99 pounds instead of the exchange rate cost.

Interesting proposition, I will look into this.

Will the Alessandro's be ok on an iPod though?

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by vikaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will the Alessandro's be ok on an iPod though?

Fine. An amp and LOD will add next to nothing - except cost. I've done it.

Not a public transport / out and about headphone though. If you plan on doing this regularly, find a closed headphone instead.

And the bank or Alessandro can't charge you 109GBP, because that isn't the price.

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #24 of 25
I am very much tempted to go with the Alessandro's then. I'll see what I can do once I get my debit card through.

If anyone else has any other views, post them through!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back