newbie - hd580 question concerning connection problems
Jan 23, 2003 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

heimr

New Head-Fier
I have an older set of HD580's and have had problems with them ever since I first purchaed them (from headroom - great source for headphone stuff!)

The problem is intermitten connectivity loos - at first it was in the right ear. I thought it was a cable problem but the folks at Sennheiser told me that it was a known production flaw in some lots of the HD580's and was internal - in the ear phone itself. I sent it back and received a replacement quickly and for no charge!

BUT - they new ones, about 2 months or so into using them, started with the same problem. First one ear then the other. UGH! It's very frustrating because the headphones themselves produce fantastic sound - as long as I keep my head perfectly still while listening
wink.gif

Anyone else had this problem?
Can I fix it myself, am I better off sending it back AGAIN to Sennheiser, should I just buy some other headphone set?

thanks,
Rich

Jan 23, 2003 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 7
Are you using the 1/8" plug or the 1/4" adapter? I have sometimes had problems with connectivity loss with 1/8" plugs. If your source/amp can accept 1/4" plugs try using the adapter that came with your HD580s.

Jan 23, 2003 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 7
This set is several years old so I suppose its no longer under warranty.

I plug them into my airhead headphone amp so I'm using the smaller plug.

thanks,
Rich

Jan 23, 2003 at 9:33 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by heimr
I have an older set of HD580's and have had problems with them ever since I first purchaed them (from headroom - great source for headphone stuff!)

The problem is intermitten connectivity loos - at first it was in the right ear. I thought it was a cable problem but the folks at Sennheiser told me that it was a known production flaw in some lots of the HD580's and was internal - in the ear phone itself. I sent it back and received a replacement quickly and for no charge!

BUT - they new ones, about 2 months or so into using them, started with the same problem. First one ear then the other. UGH! It's very frustrating because the headphones themselves produce fantastic sound - as long as I keep my head perfectly still while listening
wink.gif

Anyone else had this problem?
Can I fix it myself, am I better off sending it back AGAIN to Sennheiser, should I just buy some other headphone set?

thanks,
Rich

i've had the same situation with my early pair of hd600. i e-mailed senn about it. they blew me off. i tried the spoon trick, but it really didn't make much difference. by the bye, folks talk about them being aluminum. not so for mine. all copper, including the spring. the plug posts look to be aluminum, or chromed. the bimetalic interface might be part of the problem. i fault senn (who clearly don't give a s**t) for not owning up to their screw up.

robert

Jan 23, 2003 at 10:21 PM Post #6 of 7
this was a common problem in older runs of the 580. i remember reading somewhere (probably headwize) that sennheiser will send a free kit to repair the connection.

do you have gold plated connectors on the part of the cable that connects to the earcup?

you can try popping them open, bending the springs and cleaning the connectors with some pro gold or something.

Jan 24, 2003 at 2:14 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks everyone for you r help!

I emailed Sennheiser and they told me to send the phones back (again) to their "headphone repair" department in Old Lyme, CT.

So they'll soon be on there way again!

Thanks again,
Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back