Newbie having bad case of information overload/Getting somewhere/Still confused regarding inputs
Apr 10, 2008 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Geir

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone, first post :)
I have been reading through lot of the articles/threads, and I know more than then I started, but I am also more confused than ever regarding choices
redface.gif

Anyhow, I have a pair of Sony MDR-XD 400 for home and Sennheise px 200 for walking around/job.

At home, since we approaching summer, I was thinking about taking my Squeezebox v3 outside in the evening for reading a book/just chilling out. I tried to hook up my headphones straight to the SB3, but it does not have enough power to let me hear properly.

I was also thinking about taking my sony's out walking more with my SE w850, so the amp would have to have some kind of USB in.
I would like to know what kind of amp you would recommend me as a portable amp for my equipment.

Music that I listen to, everything from Mozart to Depeche Mode to rap/metal in various incarnations.

Price range, less is more
tongue.gif
but upto $200.

I live Norway, so E-bay dealers and european distributors preferred, but I have no qualms ordering straight from suppliers in the U.S. of A as long as they ship internationally.

Apr 10, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 17
If you want to use a Squeezebox 3 outside the house some distance away with your headphones, you'll probably need power outlets nearby and a headphone amp. Any headphone amp will do, as long you have the required cables. A portable amp usually takes a single 3.5mm input while a full-size desktop amp usually takes RCA inputs.

To improve sound quality further, add an external DAC to the Squeezebox's digital output.

However, I recommend upgrading your headphones before getting an amp or DAC. You should be able to significantly upgrade your headphones with a US$200 budget, especially if buying used and selling the two you already have. I'm assuming the MDR-XD400, which I haven't heard, is roughly the same level as the Senn PX200, which I've heard.

To use your headphones with your mobile phone's USB headphone output, you'll need a mini/micro USB to a female 6.3mm or 3.5mm adapter. However, sound quality will probably not be very good. The few phones I've tried with a USB to 3.5mm adapter sounded horrible, much worse than a regular DAP such as an iPod. The adapter made the headphones sound worse than the combination earbuds and microphone that came with the phone (the ones that plug directly into the USB out).

I believe amps with USB inputs are combination amp and USB DAC units, such as the HeadAmp Pico. I don't think you can use its USB input with a mobile phone's USB output, they're usually designed to work with a computer.

Apr 13, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #3 of 17
Been reading up a little on my headphones, the sony mdr xd 400's.
They have a 26ohm load only, so they are not hardest headphones to drive
smily_headphones1.gif

Do not need a usb input, but still, a dac would be nice.

My mobilephone, a SE w850i, has also a legacy input out to a 3,5mm jack input.

I have easy access to electricity outside, so that there is some kind of recharger would be appreciable for a little headphone amp.

So, what kind of small headphone amps with DAC should be investigated further?

Cordialement
Geir

Apr 13, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 17
To be honest with you I cant think of one that cheap but I geuss if you were willing to take the DIY approach you could build an Alien DAC and a cmoy amp in your price range?

There is probably something in that range, I just cannot think of it. BUt what i said above is an option

Apr 13, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #5 of 17
If I was you, I would be talking to Jan Meier at Meier Audio (linked somewhere on this page). What I think you are looking for is one of his portable amps with an offboard wallwart PSU for mains use. Jan's amps are designed to work over a fairly wide DC voltage range, say 3-9DCV of battery and up to 32DCV of wall wart power. My PortaCORDA really "bloomed" on the higher mains supplied power but sounded decent on batteries. That would give you a good intro "walking around" amp on batteries and a decent "sitting around by mains" amp. The reason I am sending you to Jan (and you can tell him I sent you) is because of your location. If you were in the USA, I'd also tell you to talk to Tyll Hertsens (HeadRoom) or Ray Samuels (Sameuls Ausio)about the same kind of setup. All three are really great guys who would not steer you wrong.

Echoing earlier posters, your next sound improvements are going to come from better headphones and sources, but an amp setup of the type I described above will serve you well when you improve your other equipment as well.

Welcome and happy listening. BTW, sorry about your wallet.
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 17
I rekindled my music interest after getting back from a 3 year stint in France when I got myself a decent Sony surround receiver (5200es) and a squeezebox and some decent Waf'y speakers.
Suddenly music was fun to listen to again.

I got it in my wedding contract that I am allowed to buy two electronics gadgets a year
biggrin.gif

Based on the fact that we have 3 boys (Fire/Gazoline/Nitro) I have to listen to music either very low during the evening, or put on some headphones.
The sony mdr 400 are more revealing to me than my Sennheiser PX 200.
I am a man, which means that I will have the occasional attack of the sickness called "upgraditis.."
My plans for this sickness this year includes a dac/portable amp and a new set of headphones.

I just have to convince my wife that the Nikon D300 that I have my eyes set on too, is not an electric gadget, but a necessary household tool.

Based on your recommendations here, it should be okay to go with either a Corda2Move or a RSA. Seen a Tomahawk on ebay, located in the UK, I will see how far it goes.

Apr 13, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #7 of 17
I'm running a Hornet now, so my sonic sympathies would be with the Tomahawk and I believe Ray throws in a wall wart. I usually "rediscover" my music software right after making a sonically significant hardware upgrade; it's all good.
biggrin.gif
I sort of see some K701s or DT880s in your future.
eek.gif
I skipped the children, but you can see in my profile that I have found other ways of disposing of "discretionary income". My D300 is scheduled to show up tomorrow and the Photoshop CS3 upgrade ia already in place.
cool.gif
I would think that with three sons you would have an excellent argument with your SWMBO that a D300 is essential to get the best possible pictures of your boys as they grow up so quickly.

Apr 19, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #8 of 17
I'm about three steps behind you...

I picked up a D70s to hold me over, but I already have my sights on the D300... about two years out I think.
wink.gif
I just picked up a Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 for the upcoming kid's soccer games
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

I had an Edirol UA-5 for years with upgraded opamps that I used both for live music recording and for playback. I sold it to fund a more portable PMD-660 (also modified), but now I'm without my playback...

I too am looking for a USB solution, and would also like to keep it around $200 or so if I can. Here are a few candidates I've found, just to confuse you some more:
redface.gif

[size=xx-small]FirestoreFubar III USB$229AudiophileProducts.com - Firestone Audio- Headphone Amplifier - USB DAC
diyeden SVDAC04$189DIYEDEN SVDAC04 USB DAC
e-mu0404$189audioMIDI.com : USB Audio Interfaces
TravagansWhite$290Travagan’s White-Travagan's shop
leckertonuh-3$189ebay or Leckerton Audio - Home
Headstage Lyrix USB$159Headphonia.com cheaper on ebay
iBasso D2 $200 Products (out of stock)
meier audiocorda 2move$275Meier-Audio[/size]

And a couple primo threads, in case you haven't found them already:

[size=xx-small]http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/min...-lyrix-306883/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...mpared-214588/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/re...-lyrix-265223/[/size]

Yes, my head is spinning too...

Apr 19, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #9 of 17
For USB on the cheap, I've been impressed with HeadRoom's new model BitHead (although I have not heard a large number of USB DAC/amps). The D300 arrived to join the D70 and the D200. My D70 is my travel and moptorcycle touring camera. IMHO, the D70's main limitation is no provision for tripod shutter release other than the self timer. The D300 is sweeet and has a manual twice as thick as the D200; lots to learn about, but at least the controls are mostly the same.
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #10 of 17
Been in touch with Meier audio, and I think I will end up with the 2move amp. After that, Iwill have to bring the amp with me to test all headphones like akg 701, Senns HD 650 and their brethren.
Thanks for the good input so far :)

Apr 19, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #11 of 17
I bought my HA2 MK II SE from Jan and it is a very very nice amp. (I hate red lamps and he substituted a blue led from me.) He is also a well regarded fellow member of head-fi.

Apr 20, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #12 of 17
Geir
I have the 701's with a Little Dot MK III home amp, I am looking for a portable option also.
Did Meier say the 2Move was OK with the 701's?

Apr 20, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #13 of 17
Shad, this is my question and jans reposne to that:
"> I have some Sony MDR-xd 400 for the moment (26ohm)but I will upgrade
> later this year to either Sennheise HD650/Akg701/Beyer Dt 800/Denon
> D2000 or similar, but would like to have your view of which would be
> the best fit for your 2move amp.

The amp has no preferences for any of these phones. Trust your
own ears and simply choose the phone that you like most! Be
aware, differences between phones can be very pronounced.
Therefore try before you buy, if possible!"

Which must be said to be a very precise answer as we all have different sets of criterieas which we judge upon.

Apr 20, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #14 of 17
Many thanks.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has a 2Move and AKG 701's and what they think

Apr 20, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #15 of 17
Porta CORDA + K701 = Fine with battery power but much better with wallwart with its stepped up voltage and available amperage. Tighter and clearer with extended bass and more fucused. Amp is a predecessor to the 2Move and 2 Move is probably better. I really like Dr. Meier's crossfeed option. More natural sounding and reduces audio fatigue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back