Newbie - Have Eastern Electric Minimax Plus DAC - what do I need to amp a head phone?
Apr 16, 2013 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ULUL

100+ Head-Fier
Curious, have a EE MInimax Plus that's not out of the box yet but my understanding is that I'll still need a headphone amp to drive high iimpedence headphones. 

Is there a FAQ that will give me a quick survey of the headphone amp landscape that will let me figure out what I may need?  On the budget end, I read a lot about the Fiio 7K and 17. But those have DACs already built in and I don't need those right? 

Apologies for this basic question as I'm not up to the headphone amp scene.  Currently have Harmon Kardon BT and Klipsch x10 - both low impedence. not sure if the BT will benefit from any amp but the DAC is obviously a huge step up from a laptop sound card that I currently use. However, looking at some open air higher impedence phones for home use. 

Thanks in advance for an help.

Thanks,
UL

Apr 16, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #2 of 2
This is the portable forum. It's unlikely that you will be using the EE Minimax Plus Dac in a portable configuration. So it might be worth contacting a moderator and ask them to move this post to the full size amp forum.

http://www.head-fi.org/f/5/headphone-amps-full-size

In answer to you question, yes you do need an amplifier. The EE Minimax Plus DAC converts a digital signal to an analog signal. An amplifier will take that analog signal and increase it to a level appropriate to drive headphones.

Perhaps if you post the headphones you have people will offer suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back