Newbie asks - who is this Justin guy Head-Fi loves so much
Jan 15, 2008 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

gyrodec

100+ Head-Fier
Justin from Headamp seems to a great deal of respect, even before the Pico came out. I'm sure it is all justified, but as I'm new on the forums, I was curious what he had done before such that people were expecting such great stuff from him.

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 56
Quite simply he has produced some of the best sounding amps out there. The Pico is just one of them. The GS-1, GS-X, KGSS, Blue Hawaii, etc. are all top notch amps garnering him respect. His work is meticulous inside and out on all his amps.

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 56
Justin = HeadAmp Audio Electronics (one-man business)

More info on his site: HeadAmp - Audio Electronics (About HeadAmp)

The Pico is merely the latest in his line of amplifier products. The first HeadAmp products were amps such as the Gilmore V2, Gilmore Reference, Gilmore Balanced Reference, etc. If you Google those, you'll find some pics of what those looked like. There are also a lot of threads in this forum (as well as the FS Amps forum) with info and even pictures still.

And hopefully this pic of him @ HeadFest 2007 doesn't embarass him too much.
tongue.gif

hf07_041.jpg

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 56
He is the most precise and detailed person I know when it comes to his designs and the implementation of them. I don't know how he actually gets a component out of his shop since they look and feel like works of art. If you take one apart you see that this is not just skin deep but all the way through. He lives in Virginia 60 miles or so away from Richmond. Great all round person and guy to work with if you ever need one of his units. No I am not related and I don't even have one of his component at this time.

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 56
I know Justin is HeadAmp, I said that in my OP. As the earlier HeadAmp stuff all had Gilmore names I thought they were all Kevin Gilmore designs and that the Pico was his first clean-sheet design. Was I wrong - it was just an assumption based on the names of stuff.

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 56
Actually, the AE-2 was his first product using a design of his own, as the GS-X is currently a Dynamid which is an open-source design (but hopefully won't stay that way much longer).

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #8 of 56
I am getting old (OK, I am, and that's my problem to deal with), but Justim looks really young. That means his accomplishments are even more impressive, or he's on of those lucky b.... that doesn't show their age.

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #9 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dynamid which is an open-source design (but hopefully won't stay that way much longer).

??? I'm curious why you say it's bad for it to be open source?

Jan 15, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #10 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
??? I'm curious why you say it's bad for it to be open source?

i think he means that with justin's mosfet modules coming out soon it won't be "simply" an open source design. at least that's how i read it...i think Asr's excited about the modules, not putting down open source.

Jan 15, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #11 of 56
gilmores designs aren't exactly open source. You have to have gilmore's permission to use them commercially. That justin has gilmore's permission is a pretty strong endorsement.

Jan 15, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #12 of 56
Justin built the Aristaeus. Words can’t adequately describe the sound.

1200363380.jpg

1200363381.jpg

1200363382.jpg

1200363383.jpg

1200363384.jpg

The only possible quibble with Justin is- He’s meticulous and won’t ship anything until it meets his high standards. As such sometimes the wait is longer than expected. But rest assured it’s worth the wait.

Mitch

Jan 15, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #14 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by gyrodec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am getting old (OK, I am, and that's my problem to deal with), but Justim looks really young. That means his accomplishments are even more impressive, or he's on of those lucky b.... that doesn't show their age.

I haven't the pleasure to meet Justin in person, but I'm taken aback that he is, or just looks, so young. I'm even more impressed with his accomplishments considering his age.

The Pico is an amazing portable dac/amp. So much so, I'm contemplating a home amp in the future from Justin.

Jan 15, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #15 of 56
Hey Mitch, (that's my dad's name by the way)

Aside from the Aristaeus, I am curious about the Belkin PureAV Power center you have on your desk. What do you think of it? I need to get a good power conditioner and I was wondering how it compared to the higher-end brands.

The PF60 sells for $270, so if it is comparable to some multi-thousand dollar units, it's a steal. The question is: is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back