Newbie about Headphones. Please help!
Jul 31, 2011 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ArrigoShred

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys!

Complete noob when it comes to headphones.

So I've been using IEMs for quite a few years and I want to invest into a pair of headphones.

But I don't know what to buy and I dont know what to amp it with and such. 

I'm really looking for a pair of headphones that are warm and musical with a fair good amount of detail. 

My budget for the headphone is 1000USD Max.

Thanks!

Jul 31, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #2 of 19
What about your listening preference? Do you want on the go phones or at home phones?

But based on your post so far, I would say go with the Sennheiser HD-600s. They are really warm sounding and retain a lot of detail in the mids. Then go get yourself a amp to beef it up.

This should run you under a thousand dollars.

Jul 31, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #3 of 19
+1 
Headphones
HD600
DT880

Amps:
Matrix Cube DAC/amp
OR
Audio Gd NFB-12 or Audio Gd FUN DAC/amp

Really all a man could ever need in this hobby!

Also a + for the HD600's are that the cables are easily upgraded since the they're connected via plugs, and the recables with the right source/amp really make this headphone shine! DT880's are wonderful as well! I like the DT880 treble over the HD600 but the Sennheisers strike me as more balanced. I like bright airy treble.

Jul 31, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #4 of 19
Sorry about not being too clear.

For Music preferences I listen to a fair bit of Metal and Rock. Though the artists that I listen to the most are probably John Mayer and Paul Gilbert. Lately I've been listening to music with a bit more vocal emphasis such as Sometimes I Cry by Eric Benet.

And to be more specific for my budget. I mean I can spend up to 1000USD well probably a 1200 if it makes a huge difference on the headphone itself. Not counting aftermarket cables or amps yet.

So yeah.

Advice please :)

Thanks a lot~

Edit : I would like something with beautiful mids that would sound great for vocals and guitars.
I've been looking at a few headphones. Namely the Grado RS 1i, Alessandro MS Pro and the Aude'ze LCD-2 
Are those suitable for my tastes? 

Jul 31, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #5 of 19

Quote:
Sorry about not being too clear.

For Music preferences I listen to a fair bit of Metal and Rock. Though the artists that I listen to the most are probably John Mayer and Paul Gilbert. Lately I've been listening to music with a bit more vocal emphasis such as Sometimes I Cry by Eric Benet.

And to be more specific for my budget. I mean I can spend up to 1000USD well probably a 1200 if it makes a huge difference on the headphone itself. Not counting aftermarket cables or amps yet.

So yeah.

Advice please :)

Thanks a lot~

DUDE

ALL I LISTEN TO IS PAUL GILBERT AND RACER X.

The above listed setups especially the HD600 which I have a lot of experience with, will sound really really good. Don't set a price and try to justify it, just buy-in reasonably and upgrade if you're looking for more.

You know based on the Westone ES5 that you own, you might actually be better with the HD650 because it has a more robust bottom end of the spectrum balanced with warm midrange and the treble is laid back. I compared the JH13PRO to ES5's, and the HD600 is more like a JH13PRO, I can't speak for the 16, but the 13 reminded me of a 600, but much better.

If you get an HD650, just buy a set of reasonable balanced cables and then run the NFB in balanced mode and you should be good to go! Balanced mode does seem to offer better separation from what I can tell with my HD600's.

Jul 31, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 19
Okay, I want to spare you from some of the Head-Fi myths and "absolute" truths that go on around here. No headphone is golden.

Headphones and their musical tones are largely preferences. Many people prefer the sound of a HD-600 over a headphone 2-3 times that price. And many people hate the original sound signature of the HD-600.

It's all about your preference.

You aren't going to get a 1000 dollar headphone that will make you happy for the rest of your life. You're going to need to shuffle around a lot of headphones before you find the sound signature that you actually like.

So find a store with a good return policy (ie Amazon) and plan to purchase headphones and return them if they aren't for you.

Also - are headphones even your thing? A lot of people have a huge comfort issue with a lot of headbands. Anyhow, I probably can't help you anymore because I don't know anything about top of the line headphones without reciting many headfi mantras/repeated things said about them.

Happy shopping!

Jul 31, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
Okay, I want to spare you from some of the Head-Fi myths and "absolute" truths that go on around here. No headphone is golden.

Headphones and their musical tones are largely preferences. Many people prefer the sound of a HD-600 over a headphone 2-3 times that price. And many people hate the original sound signature of the HD-600.

It's all about your preference.

You aren't going to get a 1000 dollar headphone that will make you happy for the rest of your life. You're going to need to shuffle around a lot of headphones before you find the sound signature that you actually like.

So find a store with a good return policy (ie Amazon) and plan to purchase headphones and return them if they aren't for you.

Also - are headphones even your thing? A lot of people have a huge comfort issue with a lot of headbands. Anyhow, I probably can't help you anymore because I don't know anything about top of the line headphones without reciting many headfi mantras/repeated things said about them.

Happy shopping!

I see

Thanks for your advice.

I definitely agree with your point about shuffling around.

I went through around 30 pairs of Universal IEMs before settling onto the Westone Um3xs and then spent a whole year researching until getting my ES5s.

I currently own the sony XB700s and I find that they are quite good and comfortable. Though I want something on the lighter side. So I'm really looking into the Grado/Alessandro series due to their size. :/

Jaben Audio, thankfully offers a good return offer/service thingy. I've shuffled around 8 portable headphone amps with them so yeah.

I'll bear that in mind!

Thanks!

Jul 31, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
AWESOME~
What's your favorite song by PG?

haha
I'll go check out the HD600s and 650s tmr in Jaben. Hopefully I'll like them. 

I like propeller because the impact of the kick drum comes through quite impactfully on my Grados and the song honestly makes me feel like I'm flying. That guy really knows how to write guitar instrumentals. Tis a shame Racer X doesn't write anymore music.

I will also take Bach Partita in Dm as a close second haha!

If you're into Paul Gilbert, you should really check out Yngwie Malmsteen! After all it's the man who he looks up to! His guitar tone isn't quite as warm though since he plays regular ol' Strats most of the time I see him.

Have you considered Grados? I know it's a really played out answer, but they're really worth a try as a supplementary purchase. SR-225's + HD600's are an awesome matchup if you can tell by my sig haha.  I don't consider Grados to be a part of a really higher end setup, but the SR-325 and below are still quite impressive. I heard an MS-2i the other day from my friend with an impressive Grado collection and I prefer it to a lot of more expensive stuff paired with a decent tube pre amp to an ok amp.

Have fun with your shopping, I absolutely love my recabled HD-580. I preferred something with less bass that could give me that absolute treble extension regardless of if it was harsh or not. Both Senn 6x0's are still wonderful with the HD650's merit's far outweighing it's fallings.

As for amp recommendations, I was kind of blabbing my general recommendations with the Sennheiser 6-series, I noticed you have the ALO Rx Mk2. I wouldn't underestimate it's ability to effectively drive anything you buy. If it were me, I'd just run HD600/650's and Grados out of that thing haha. Nice recable on the ES5 by the way, glad to see another believer :)

Jul 31, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
I like propeller because the impact of the kick drum comes through quite impactfully on my Grados and the song honestly makes me feel like I'm flying. That guy really knows how to write guitar instrumentals. Tis a shame Racer X doesn't write anymore music.

I will also take Bach Partita in Dm as a close second haha!

If you're into Paul Gilbert, you should really check out Yngwie Malmsteen! After all it's the man who he looks up to! His guitar tone isn't quite as warm though since he plays regular ol' Strats most of the time I see him.

Have you considered Grados? I know it's a really played out answer, but they're really worth a try as a supplementary purchase. SR-225's + HD600's are an awesome matchup if you can tell by my sig haha.  I don't consider Grados to be a part of a really higher end setup, but the SR-325 and below are still quite impressive. I heard an MS-2i the other day from my friend with an impressive Grado collection and I prefer it to a lot of more expensive stuff paired with a decent tube pre amp to an ok amp.

Have fun with your shopping, I absolutely love my recabled HD-580. I preferred something with less bass that could give me that absolute treble extension regardless of if it was harsh or not. Both Senn 6x0's are still wonderful with the HD650's merit's far outweighing it's fallings.

As for amp recommendations, I was kind of blabbing my general recommendations with the Sennheiser 6-series, I noticed you have the ALO Rx Mk2. I wouldn't underestimate it's ability to effectively drive anything you buy. If it were me, I'd just run HD600/650's and Grados out of that thing haha. Nice recable on the ES5 by the way, glad to see another believer :)

Ohh I see!

Well my favorite PG song is probably Bultaco Saturno!
its just so much more funky and different, yet retains that awesome shred packed PG Action!

But for Yngwie? I dunno man. I dont like all of his stuff. I only really listen to Brothers, Far Beyond the Sun and Black Star haha.

Well I have been considering Grados and Alessandro. Mostly the Grado RS1 and MS Pro due to my budget. I've tried the MS Pros and loved them so yeah.
Might be buying one or the other.

Jul 31, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
Ohh I see!

Well my favorite PG song is probably Bultaco Saturno!
its just so much more funky and different, yet retains that awesome shred packed PG Action!

But for Yngwie? I dunno man. I dont like all of his stuff. I only really listen to Brothers, Far Beyond the Sun and Black Star haha.

Well I have been considering Grados and Alessandro. Mostly the Grado RS1 and MS Pro due to my budget. I've tried the MS Pros and loved them so yeah.
Might be buying one or the other.

Yeah Yngwie isn't as musical as Paul, it just feels like some of his music are just demos of his raw ability with the guitar. I do tend to favor Racer X and Paul Gilbert over Yngwie.

I'm not a huge fan of the wooden Grados for some reason. I think even at the hi-fi level they don't quite strike me as worth the money even accounting for diminishing returns. You get a nice warm midrange, very clear and bright treble, and the bass really does have quite an impact, but it's not worth literally 2 SR-325i's to me to have that now with the new modders coming up who can clearly handmake a better Grado.

If you're looking into a flagship Grado, keep a close eye on Martin Customs and wait until more reviews of his work come up. I've been following his project since the early days and it would appear for less than RS-1 money, you clearly get SO MUCH MORE. I'm a big fan of his project. 
http://www.head-fi.org/gallery/album/view/id/38912/user_id/140260

It's really hard to commit to so much money on a custom handmade product you can't really hear yourself, but improving on Grado's design professionally is a new concept which seems to be working well. Even the "Magnum" upgrade for the SR-325's seem like they'd be a better buy. There is a really good deal on the "Magnum" upgrade so maybe you should have a look at that. 

I've listened to the GS-1000's and a Mapletree EAR+ HD, before I dealt with the HE-500 w/ Meier Concerto, it was absolutely the best setup, but it wasn't that much better than the RS-1 to me, I felt the RS-1 was snappier as well which I really need in a headphone. I'm a HUGE Grado fan, maybe one of the top 100 here, but I can't really recommend anything past the SR-325.

I loved the HE-500 so much, it was really sad when I remembered that they didn't belong to me. It's a really expensive headphone to have and power though. The ALO amp you own should be able to power anything you can really throw at it though.

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #14 of 19
Haven't heard it. My dear friend Alghazanth can practically write a novel on them and I trust his ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back