New York mini meet : Hifiman He-1000 Impressions thread
Feb 13, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #166 of 174
I agree... And why u sellin' da K7XX so soon? I haven't even rcvd mine!

hahah awww! well, im not rly sellin it anymore. honestly tho if u alrdy have the he560, there is no real need for the k7xx. very similar sound sig at a lower price point. kinda duplicate to have both i think.

Feb 13, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #167 of 174
i hope he1k will be easy to drive as well & not too picky with component matching too. i think the sign that a headphone is picky actually is a negative as it implies it has a sonic flaw that requires a certain sounding amp to fix. scaling is a different story, but it is a lot easier for us if we dont need to invest in a new amp everytime we get a new pair of headphones.

lol with your current headphone/component inventory, id say you shld have no issues affording the he1k regardless of price point.

HA! HA!

How many pairs of my current HPs do I have to sell to get one pair of HE-1000?

In my experience, flagships of nearly all brands are superior to the rest of the models in the same line in terms of transparency, clarity and resolution (LCD3, HE-6, HD800, PS1000...). It is not so much that these flagships have a flaw, but that they REVEAL the flaws in the associated components, instead of covering them up. As you move down all these lines to lesser models (LCD2, HE-500, HD-650, GS1000...), you usually find them to be easier to live with using lesser quality components in the chain.

I fully expect the HE1000 to belong to the rarified category of the most revealing gears and only the very best associated components will allow such HP to fully shine.

I do not find this to be a flaw but rather the necessary condition to achieve superlative performance. They are akihn to a perfect mirror that reflects the true sound of the DAC, Amp, etc., as they are, warts and all.

I cannot wait to hear (but not necessarily buy) a pair or of HE-1000.

Feb 13, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #168 of 174
Well, by the looks of it, the HE1K does not seem to be the ruthless and unforgiving monster that the stock HD800 is. A welcomed notion by me :)

Feb 14, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #169 of 174

In my experience, flagships of nearly all brands are superior to the rest of the models in the same line in terms of transparency, clarity and resolution (LCD3, HE-6, HD800, PS1000...). It is not so much that these flagships have a flaw, but that they REVEAL the flaws in the associated components, instead of covering them up. As you move down all these lines to lesser models (LCD2, HE-500, HD-650, GS1000...), you usually find them to be easier to live with using lesser quality components in the chain.

I fully expect the HE1000 to belong to the rarified category of the most revealing gears and only the very best associated components will allow such HP to fully shine.

I do not find this to be a flaw but rather the necessary condition to achieve superlative performance. They are akin to a perfect mirror that reflects the true sound of the DAC, Amp, etc., as they are, warts and all.

That's a great comment; worth repeating here. Thanks.

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #171 of 174
Fool! I say you, ask your self "why is it a niche market in the first place?!"

Yes, why ?

That said I think many head-fi-ers are EXTREMELY desensitized to money when they been in this game for too long. They feel it is the normal or better yet, justified to spend thousands on head gear.

Good headphones, when well treated, will easily serve you for some twenty years, and even more.  An average American buys 597 cans of soft drinks in one year, which is 597 dollars a year by a conservative estimate  [ http://www.eduplace.com/kids/mw/wr/5/wr5_08_21_5.html ].  In twenty years the amount is 11 940 dollars. Over an average soda pop drinking lifetime, let's say 60 years, the amount comes to 35 820 dollars. An average can of soft drink contains 5 to 10 teaspoons of sugar. There is a growing agreement among the health professionals that sugar is a toxic substance. [Scroll down to 'Health Impact of Soft Drinks' - http://www.cspinet.org/new/pdf/liquid_candy_final_w_new_supplement.pdf ]
A toxic substance which also causes cancers [ http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/research-reveals-how-sugar-causes-cancer ]. 
You can obtain great sounding top of the line headphones and an amplifier for 3000 dollars which comes to 150 dollars per year over twenty years. Then there are intangibles which make the cost even lower. On the whole, life is a misery, the joy of music makes life more bearable. Because of that many audiophiles save serious money on not having to buy anti-depressant drugs, which, it seems, most people cannot function without, these days. When one is happy, immersed in his [most likely 'his'] audiophile world then one is also much less likely to waste health and serious money on alcohol and hard drugs. When one's mind is on the audio hobby, when one spends time listening to music then one is less inclined to think about making mischief and to spend time doing criminal activities, and ultimately wasting money on defense lawyers.
 For a typical low culture zombie spending 300 dollars per year on music and audio equipment is an outrage but spending 600 dollars every year on chemical slops which hasten the day of death is O.K. There are those willing to spend 2000 dollars to go and catch a venereal disease in a Mexican holiday resort and who at the same time laugh at those who buy 1500 dollar headphones which will give immeasurable audio pleasure for years to come. Who are the idiots ?

Haha...great post...I'll show this to my wife...:D

Mar 15, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #172 of 174
Not photogenic at all. To an extreme degree. But then again, the he560s looked ugly to me on photos but in person they are quite beautiful. With all the great materials used and a little polish I don´t think it is impossible for the he-1000 to look pretty in real life. In a very art deco kind of way. Very decadent.

Other than that, congratulations to Fang and the team, looks like it´s their dream headphone. A kind of homage to the Orpheus perhaps. I won´t ever buy a pair, but I´m glad the Hifiman line finally has a worthy (and truly crazy) flagship.

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #173 of 174
  To answer any other question I will be doing my preview in the next two weeks  and will link it on headfi as it will be a Headfi post. I am please to say I have heard no sibilance in my system with the he1000 for those interested.

Hello Frank, where is your preview ... ? Above quote is from 3 weeks and 6 days ago
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #174 of 174
Well, I guess we're outta impressions, lol. I wonder if my meager $250 Project Polaris SS amp will drive these. Gonna sell my Paradox Slants and chill with my Senn IE800 till I save up the cash to upgrade to something else. The HE1000 is looking like a nice end game upgrade for me. I thought I'd be done at the Slants, but oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back