New WESTONE W-SERIES
Jun 28, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #1,066 of 1,383

Sounds like a defective unit with a crack in the shell (probably along the joint of two sides of the shell); there shouldn't be any leakage.  Contact their warranty department for replacement.

beerchug.gif

Jul 2, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #1,067 of 1,383
  I'm now having problems with my 6 month old Westone W60. The cable connectors have been a bit loose and wobbly from day one, and sound from the right earphone has now started cutting in and out on a regular basis.

I had very similar issue with my UM Pro50 which had to be returned 3 times, but the last replacement does now seem to be sturdier and has given me no problems (so far).

I purchased the W60, hoping for the same or better sound quality, but with better build quality. Sadly, that hasn't been the case.

Westone IEMs ... sound great, but VERY disappointing build quality.

Westone does seem to have a problem with their cables. I had to replace my previous two pairs of W3 because of the cable problem (cutting in and out). Now I've just bought W30 and from the very beginning I could hear (although very very rarely) some subtle noise which sounds a bit like static noise in the right earphone.

Generally Westone cables are very nice, flexible and have no problems with microphonics, but unfortunately it turns out that their real built quality is VERY disappointing.

Jul 2, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #1,068 of 1,383
Yep, I've been a fan of Westone earphones for the past decade but I think their reputation is going down the drain due to regularly reported problems with their cables and overall build quality.

The Shure Se846 thread is still going strong, but in my opinion the W60 is a far better sounding earphone. Westone threads don't get that much attention nowadays - no way near as much as they have in years gone past - and all too often the posts are about cable or build quality issues.

I hope the next generation of Westone earphones sound as good, if not better, but they need to completely overhaul their cables/connectors, and I'd say the overall build of their top tier earphones needs to be much sturdier as well.

Jul 2, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #1,069 of 1,383
Yea its a shame.  I have been a huge supporter too but can't deny the problems.

I have had the Pro50 for 18 months now with no issues but it gets light use.  Well...light meaning only 6-8 hours a week but it's used while exercising so lots of sweat but when I am done I literally hang them out of the way in open area until next use.

I have not had issues but my uses it light.  I wish I had more time to listen to music.

Westones marketing is puzzling.  Coming out with ALL these different IEM's...studio (Pro), general (W).  Really ridiculous since many are just bad IEM's (Like W50).

I wish they would re-focus and REALLY pair down their selections.  

I TOTALLY get W30 replacing W3.  Genious move.  Completely eliminated the mid bass hump, still a fun IEM but pretty darn balanced, yet fun.   Probably the best bang for buck Westone IEM, period.

But W40 replacing W4 was a mistake.  W4 is a better IEM.  If you wanted more bass, then go to W30.
W4 is like Triple Fi Pro......like why did you stop making it and replace it with garbage?

(2) IEM offering for Pro studio series....and (3) for general-W series.   Then FOCUS ON QUALITY!
W2, W3, W60
Pro30, Pro50

That's it!  That should be your whole universal line-up.

Jul 2, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #1,070 of 1,383
Westone surprised me when they launched as many as six new models of W-series only! This is crazy! For me the choice was relatively easy as I just replaced W3 with new W30 (luckily one of the 'good' models of the new W-series). However I am sorry for people who are new to Westone earphones. Offering six models must be very confusing. It looks like Westone mostly cared to give people choice with different pricing, but that's it. Congratulations to Westone marketing/product team, I would be very surprised if this strategy works well for you.
I love Westone sound and comfort, however my next earphone may come from another brand if Westone doesn't fix the problem with their cables and their marketing as well.

Jul 2, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #1,071 of 1,383
Agree with a lot of points, and for anybody who had a chance to buy/test/preview their latest AM Pro series (need to start working on AM Pro 30 review soon...), it looks like the mmcx connector and the cable joint has been improved in comparison to um pro and w series.  Hopefully they are moving in the right direction.  Of course, only time will tell about the long term reliability and also what they are working on next (and no, I don't know what yet, but am aware Karl is constantly testing new ideas in his Westone lab).

Sep 30, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #1,073 of 1,383
Westone W80 - their new Signature Series 8-driver flagship is just around the corner!!!

Since I was in a rush, the pictures were taking at work with my phone camera.  Here is how they look with a cable and a close up of the cable:

Here is how it looks next to W60, the same size, actually a little slimmer:

And a detailed first impression about the design, the cable, and the sound on my blog:

https://twister6.com/2016/09/30/first-look-at-westone-w80/

Sep 30, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #1,075 of 1,383
I hope they gonna release all UM line.

You mean a higher driver count UM Pro line model?  I'm not sure if that makes sense since UM Pro is their stage performance line where they maxed out at 5 drivers.  W-series is more consumer oriented with W60 being their Signature TOTL, that's the one worth continuing with more fine-tuning and additional drivers.  Of course, it's just my opinion, and I have no idea what Westone have on their roadmap.

Oct 1, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #1,076 of 1,383
You mean a higher driver count UM Pro line model?  I'm not sure if that makes sense since UM Pro is their stage performance line where they maxed out at 5 drivers.  W-series is more consumer oriented with W60 being their Signature TOTL, that's the one worth continuing with more fine-tuning and additional drivers.  Of course, it's just my opinion, and I have no idea what Westone have on their roadmap.

Actually I just wish better quality control. Especially UM Pro line has so many MMCX problem and cutting issue. I really love the sound of UM Pro50,really. But I cannot trust their quality. I don't want to struggle after buying this kind of problem.
If they release UM Pro70-80 or something I cannot say no of course.

Oct 12, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #1,077 of 1,383
  Westone W80 - their new Signature Series 8-driver flagship is just around the corner!!!

Since I was in a rush, the pictures were taking at work with my phone camera.  Here is how they look with a cable and a close up of the cable:

Here is how it looks next to W60, the same size, actually a little slimmer:

And a detailed first impression about the design, the cable, and the sound on my blog:

https://twister6.com/2016/09/30/first-look-at-westone-w80/

This is crazy! Another model? Westone should first fix its cable problem! 

Their cables as much as I love them for their comfort +no microphonics, they unfortunately do not last long. I had already 3 pairs of Westones W-series and each one broke (first pair after 2 years, second after a year and the 3rd pair (W30) cable broke just after 2 months! At this price this is completely unacceptable! I am considering moving to another brand of earphones. It's difficult decision because I love Westone sound, but I don't want to spend more money and be frustrated with their cable again.

And so many different models!? It will be very confusing to pick the right one, especially for people new to the brand. In my opinion Westone has taken the wrong way, both with their cable quality/durability and crazy number of different models:frowning2:

Oct 12, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #1,079 of 1,383
  Contact Customer service and they will replace your cable if it broke after only 2 months.

I will try to do it and will see if it will get replaced. If so, it would keep up my hope and maybe I'll stay with Westone.
My other models (2 pairs of W3) didn't have detachable cables, but I don't care so much about them now as long as I have my lastest W30 fixed.
Soon I will report back if my warranty is respected.

Oct 12, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #1,080 of 1,383
Yeah their product range seems to be getting our of hand. I'm surprised they can even afford so much R&D.

Agreed on the cables and connectors. I find westone cables pretty comfortable (aside for the iphone one) but the $20 UE900 cable I prefer with my W30 is so light and comfortable I forget I have the earphones on. Unfortunately the mmcx connection breaks every once in a while so there's still a tradeoff that shouldn't be there with such an expensive product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back