NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
May 9, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #3,916 of 4,971
Yes, I do like tubes when they're done right, no doubt. But I also like good solid state.

I have a different experience with the Magni and Asgard 2. I have both, and I've never preferred the performance of the Magni to the Asgard 2. The A2 has always been significantly more musical to my ears.

Granted, I didn't match volume, but I did use the same sources (line out from FiiO X3, HTC One phone running Neutron Player, USB from computer to Modi, USB from computer to AQ Dragonfly 1.2) and the same range of phones (HE-400, HE-500, HD600, HD598, HD580, Q701, K612, K550, K545, K501, PSB M4U1, DT880, DT770 and a bunch of others). I simply turned the volume to a comfortable listening level, which tends to be more or less the same each time I listen. My preference for the Asgard 2 over the Magni wasn't gleaned from a critical shoot out type listening scenario, but from regular listening with the two amps over many months. I simply think the Asgard 2 has a sound that's of a much higher quality than the Magni.

That's not to say your impressions are not also correct. Folks have very different preferences, and those are right, too. Funny how they can be vastly different from what another may like. But you choose what brings you pleasure, and that's what it's all about.

So I'm just sharing what I'm hearing, and how these amps play out for me. Yes, all those things I described are things I hear. They're also the reasons I like the Vali over the Magni.

Incidentally, if I were to choose one amp out of the 3, my dollar would go to the Asgard 2. I've described the A2 in the past as smooth, controlled, with a hint of warmth. A very composed sound with nothing out of place. Definitely different than the Vali, but pretty great. To my ears, the Magni is the least of these three amps.

Lucky for us, we have some great choices. Three different amps, and chances are one or more will float your boat.

We don't percieve frequencies equally at different volumes, that's why it is essential to match volumes when comparing amps. Look up Fletcher-Munson Loudness Curves, pretty interesting. All in all, I do prefer the Asgard 2 as well, partially on principle of the design being discrete without using negative feedback to control distortion but rather by careful design. Plus it sounds awfully good.

May 9, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #3,917 of 4,971
As it happens the Magni and Asgard 2 sound very much alike. They are both SS amps and share the same clean sound. If one drives them both from the same source at the same volume and A/B switches a set of headhones between them, they will not be able to tell the difference. This has been done.
You appear to prefer the coloration that tube amps provide. Some prefer this others do not and prefer an accurate playback of what was recorded.. I do not agree with the remarks about "less suple or more harmonically homogenous," etc. This boils down to a matter of taste. I can listen to both, but prefer SS. The more expensive tube amps have less distortion and thus less of the "warm sound" and begin to sound more like an SS amp The distortion advantages of tubes when it comes to soft clipping are for guitarists, audiophiles on the other hand do not want any clipping, at all.
Much of the bias against SS amps are from decades ago when they first appeared where many were of a terrible Class B design which not only were riff with cross-over distortion but were underpowered and clipped miserably. Many were not even biased properly and as a result had other nonlinear disorders. That was in the distant past. Today the story is very different.

Yes, I do like tubes when they're done right, no doubt. But I also like good solid state.

I have a different experience with the Magni and Asgard 2. I have both, and I've never preferred the performance of the Magni to the Asgard 2. The A2 has always been significantly more musical to my ears.

Granted, I didn't match volume, but I did use the same sources (line out from FiiO X3, HTC One phone running Neutron Player, USB from computer to Modi, USB from computer to AQ Dragonfly 1.2) and the same range of phones (HE-400, HE-500, HD600, HD598, HD580, Q701, K612, K550, K545, K501, PSB M4U1, DT880, DT770 and a bunch of others). I simply turned the volume to a comfortable listening level, which tends to be more or less the same each time I listen. My preference for the Asgard 2 over the Magni wasn't gleaned from a critical shoot out type listening scenario, but from regular listening with the two amps over many months. I simply think the Asgard 2 has a sound that's of a much higher quality than the Magni.

That's not to say your impressions are not also correct. Folks have very different preferences, and those are right, too. Funny how they can be vastly different from what another may like. But you choose what brings you pleasure, and that's what it's all about.

So I'm just sharing what I'm hearing, and how these amps play out for me. Yes, all those things I described are things I hear. They're also the reasons I like the Vali over the Magni.

Incidentally, if I were to choose one amp out of the 3, my dollar would go to the Asgard 2. I've described the A2 in the past as smooth, controlled, with a hint of warmth. A very composed sound with nothing out of place. Definitely different than the Vali, but pretty great. To my ears, the Magni is the least of these three amps.

Lucky for us, we have some great choices. Three different amps, and chances are one or more will float your boat.

Same impressions here asgard2>vali>magni

May 10, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #3,918 of 4,971
  Tubes changed, tubes damping changed. Previously I used 15 Ohm resistor with my denons to dampen slight almost inaudible hiss.

Now I do not need resistor, ringing is dampened very quickly : 1-3 seconds. Seems like my tubes are from very good batch. Seek forum for my source.
So better than 100 words, here are some photos.

BEFORE

AFTER

Just out of curiosity, did you try to physically separate the tubes from the board with short leads before settling on your current design?

May 10, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #3,919 of 4,971
-Old tubes are desoldered
-new 5 pin conn soldered for each tube (for future)
-2x3mm sorbothane strips placed
-new tubes placed comfortably on sorbothane
-tubes soldered to connectors

open second image in new window for detailed view.

May 11, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #3,920 of 4,971
Does the type of RCA affect the sound? I am using just random silver-plated ones that I found laying around. Should I invest a couple bucks and get better ones from like monoprice? I am from Canada, that's all.

May 11, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #3,921 of 4,971
  You can get something decent out of the Vali when driving the HE-500's but more power would be advisable. The Magni or Asgard 2 are perfect. The story about the Magni being too bright is a myth as far as I'm concerned. I A/B'd the Magni and Asgard 2 with a switch and matched volume levels and found this to be just another Internet myth. If you want a tube Amp that sounds good driving the HE-500's you will probably have to spend much more. Either a hybrid with more power than the Vali (such as a Lyr) or a pure tube amp that has an output transformer.

thanks
So I think, I need to go to dt880 and hope that it doesn't have piercing treble for my musics.
In future, I will build another setup, around he560. 
gs1000.gif

May 12, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #3,922 of 4,971
  Does the type of RCA affect the sound? I am using just random silver-plated ones that I found laying around. Should I invest a couple bucks and get better ones from like monoprice? I am from Canada, that's all.

Unless you're getting static, the sound cutting out or some other actual issue with your current cable, you likely won't notice any difference.

May 12, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #3,923 of 4,971
I enjoy the Vali for its sweet signature with the LCD-X, but miss the detail, air, and soundstage of the Mjolnir. If Schiit could combine the best character of each, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. A tube Mjolnir? Probably not. The Lyr is due for an update, but maybe we have to wait for the tube statement amp. Until then, I'm happy enough switching between the Vali and the Mjolnir.If the recording's a little murky and congested, Mjolnir would clean it up nicely. Does anyone else think the Vali adds a touch of reverb?

May 12, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #3,924 of 4,971
  I enjoy the Vali for its sweet signature with the LCD-X, but miss the detail, air, and soundstage of the Mjolnir. If Schiit could combine the best character of each, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. A tube Mjolnir? Probably not. The Lyr is due for an update, but maybe we have to wait for the tube statement amp. Until then, I'm happy enough switching between the Vali and the Mjolnir.If the recording's a little murky and congested, Mjolnir would clean it up nicely. Does anyone else think the Vali adds a touch of reverb?

No straight amp can add reverb. That would be a sound effect that audiophiles would not appreciate.

May 12, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #3,926 of 4,971
  Stay tuned, the weekend is upon us. 
biggrin.gif

I have good ears, I used to modify Analog Electronic Music Synthesizers for recording artists, I was able to correct any errors of intonation in VCOs because I am able to hear harmonics and phase differences and modify them accordingly, plus I'm an EE which helps with the circuit mods,

Sounds cool...

May 13, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #3,927 of 4,971
Ringing: I got my second Vali recently. I was curious if the amount of tube ringing would be different from the one I bought 2 or 3 months ago. But no: about the same amount, roughly the same sensitivity to tapping or plugging in, and about the same duration (about 30 seconds). FYI FWIW.

May 14, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #3,928 of 4,971
  -Old tubes are desoldered
-new 5 pin conn soldered for each tube (for future)
-2x3mm sorbothane strips placed
-new tubes placed comfortably on sorbothane
-tubes soldered to connectors

open second image in new window for detailed view.

I really don't quite understand modding this amp. The tubes are good for 10-20K hours, and it is far more work to install a conn or socket than it is to desolder then resolder the tubes once they have burned out. Maybe I'm missing something but 10,000 hours is a LONG time. Around a year and a third Straight. (416.7 Days) Do you guys LIVE with your headphones on?

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
 TWIN

May 15, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #3,929 of 4,971

Agree completely with you on the Vali vs. the Mjolnir for the LCD-X. I sold my Mjolnir because I ultimately felt it was too lean with the LCD-X after hearing some more neutral amps. I'll probably try the Ragnarok, since early impressions suggest it's more neutral than the Mjolnir. The Vali is good for now.

May 16, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #3,930 of 4,971
  How about absolutely?
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-200KHz, -3dB
That is their specification for the Magni. Amps do not have acoustic issues as headphones do, it is very easy to deliver a flat FR with an amp. IMO far too many people that do not understand this needlessly give life to some stories,

Agree. I've had my Magni for about a year now. To me it seems perfectly flat, powerful, and clean.

For my thoughts on comparisons to tube/ss hybrids, you can read this review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back