NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Jan 18, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #4,921 of 4,971
  At the time the Vali came out, the equivalent SS amp was the Magni.   Since then, the Magni 2 has been released (which I have not heard).

The Vali does some things very well, and some things not so well, so by that logic, it is not the best for a single amp situation.  And I have not used it with higher impedance headphones such as the HD600.

The other aspect is the ringing problem, which will be more annoying if you use the amp more often (as is likely with a single amp situation).  And the ringing problem is greater in some units, and less in others, which makes used purchases more difficult.

I can get it for 63 bucks so I think it's *probably* worth taking an investment into for that amount. I'm just wondering if I should get it used or new from Schiit for 94 or whatever and have the 2 year warranty. Or what it'd cost to have them repair out of warranty. Or if I should just go straight to Magni 2 or the Magni 2 Uber.

edit: blah. Just went with the used Vali for 63 bucks in "Like New" condition. Seller says it's in excellent shape and fairly lightly used. I figure for 63 bucks I can't go wrong.

edit again: got it today. Sounds extremely nice with both the 558 and 600. The Geek Out V2 by itself sounds a little more digital, a little more analytical...the Vali takes some of the "edge" for lack of a better word and smooths out the edges, making it a little warmer and less analytical. It sounds real nice.

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #4,922 of 4,971
I've lost the power supply for the Vali.

I've found a great 16 V AC supply that'll supply enough current, but I need to know the dimensions of the barrel connector.

I've asked Schiit via their tech support email and they refuse to let me know what it is.  Bit bizarre, but they insist that I use their adapter even though it'll cost me more than $40 to have it delivered to me here in the UK.

The adapter I have will do just fine, but I need to know what the connector size is.

Thanks very much

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #4,923 of 4,971

I've found a great 16 V AC supply that'll supply enough current, but I need to know the dimensions of the barrel connector.

I've asked Schiit via their tech support email and they refuse to let me know what it is.  Bit bizarre, but they insist that I use their adapter even though it'll cost me more than $40 to have it delivered to me here in the UK.

The adapter I have will do just fine, but I need to know what the connector size is.

Thanks very much

At least 2 options here:  1) Listen to Schiit tech support.  Or 2) measure it.

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #4,924 of 4,971

Thanks very much

Why not just ask the UK store if they have one?

http://schiit.eu.com/

Jan 26, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #4,925 of 4,971

Thanks very much

I measure mine as 5.4mm OD / 2.1mm ID.  My calipers aren't really great for measuring an ID that small, but I think it's at least approximately right.

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #4,929 of 4,971
Quick question, I have the original Vali. Would it be worth it to upgrade to the Vali 2, or would I be looking at either an Asgard 2 or Valhalla 2 before I would notice an improvement? 

Feb 2, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #4,930 of 4,971
  Quick question, I have the original Vali. Would it be worth it to upgrade to the Vali 2, or would I be looking at either an Asgard 2 or Valhalla 2 before I would notice an improvement? 

The Vali 2 is a clear improvement on the original Vali. To me it sounds better, more detailed and less distortion. And that's just with the stock tube. I haven't tried tube rolling yet, which you couldn't do with Vali 1. There's also the advantage that when the tube dies on the Vali 2, you can just buy another one, versus sending the Vali 1 in for repair.

I think it sounds better than the Asgard 2, at least for the HD600 and DT990.

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #4,931 of 4,971

The Vali 2 is a clear improvement on the original Vali. To me it sounds better, more detailed and less distortion. And that's just with the stock tube. I haven't tried tube rolling yet, which you couldn't do with Vali 1. There's also the advantage that when the tube dies on the Vali 2, you can just buy another one, versus sending the Vali 1 in for repair.

I think it sounds better than the Asgard 2, at least for the HD600 and DT990.

I agree with this assessment 100%.

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #4,933 of 4,971
What is the proper way to turn this off/on? I ask because the manual doesn't state if the phones are supposed to be plugged in or not. The issue is that when I'm plugged in, I get a big loud noise/static/jolt noise when the amp actually turns on. (you flip the switch, wait about 10 seconds, then it clicks, then the noise happens) I'm afraid of frying my phones. I already had an issue with this plugged into a u-DAC 3. I had my V-Moda XS phones plugged into the u-DAC and then turned on the amp....big mistake. I got a huge jolt/screeching electric noise and then the right channel on the XS started distorting and making all sorts of interference noises. I unplugged everything and waited a couple minutes and everything turned back to normal....but obviously, now I know not to EVER have anything plugged into the DAC when I turn on the amp. 

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #4,934 of 4,971
  What is the proper way to turn this off/on? I ask because the manual doesn't state if the phones are supposed to be plugged in or not. The issue is that when I'm plugged in, I get a big loud noise/static/jolt noise when the amp actually turns on. (you flip the switch, wait about 10 seconds, then it clicks, then the noise happens) I'm afraid of frying my phones. I already had an issue with this plugged into a u-DAC 3. I had my V-Moda XS phones plugged into the u-DAC and then turned on the amp....big mistake. I got a huge jolt/screeching electric noise and then the right channel on the XS started distorting and making all sorts of interference noises. I unplugged everything and waited a couple minutes and everything turned back to normal....but obviously, now I know not to EVER have anything plugged into the DAC when I turn on the amp. 

All (except for the first generation Asgard, for which they offered retrofitting) Schiit amps have a mute relay. They state that it is safe to leave headphones plugged in all the time. Some people still unplug their phones before turning on or off because they are paranoid.

I leave my phones plugged in all the time and I've never had a problem.

Feb 6, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #4,935 of 4,971

All (except for the first generation Asgard, for which they offered retrofitting) Schiit amps have a mute relay. They state that it is safe to leave headphones plugged in all the time. Some people still unplug their phones before turning on or off because they are paranoid.

I leave my phones plugged in all the time and I've never had a problem.

Thanks, that's great to know. I won't worry (as much) now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back